• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of cordovan daltons from the factory second sale this past weekend. No noticeable blemishes aside from this splotchy burnishing on the toe. Anything I can do to help diminish it or will it even out with wear and time?

f29588ae4af656e6037872d1ff12d920.jpg

This is what I got on my pair of Natural Strands. I took cloth and saphir renovateur and just kept wiping the area until it came off. I really wish they wouldn't apply anything as the shell will change colors all on its own and I'd rather leave the process to happen naturally. If you don't want to mess with it though the color is so dark I doubt anyone would notice but you.

I have a Dundee 2.0 in Snuff Suede that feels like it's closer in color to the MD Chocolate suede. Does anyone feel that way? I'm leaning more towards getting a Snuff Suede in the MD. I wear an 8.5D in the Dundee and it fits OK. Will the MD fit looser since it is unlined and it doesn't have the poron insole?

I wear 9E optimal on the 511 last though I can fit in the 9D dundee 2.0 albeit a little snug for my taste. The MD chukka in 9D was longer to me than the dundee and was not forgiving in the width. My first wear I actually took them off after a few hours at work so to me they do not fit exactly like the Dundee. I'm going to put mine on tonight and try to guess what would be best from there. Either 9.5D or 8.5EEE would be my options I guess since 9E isn't a choice. Could be the shoe just isn't for me. Second thing is the color, I said this back when they first launched them that the AE snuff is similar to the MD chocolate. MD Snuff is quite a bit lighter than AE snuff. If I roll the dice on these again I'll be going with the sand.

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well while I can't compare with my brannock (which I wear in the 65) since they don't start B width until size 10, I can say they feel exactly as roomy as my sturgis 2.0's which are also a 9.5D. They're just a lot softer so it's a little easier to cinch them down nice and snug without needing thick socks or having (admittedly still very stiff due to not in highly regular rotation; i'm sure they'll soften a bit more over time) a stiffer ankle as a result.

I'd echo what MD says and order TTS; they're so soft and pliable that they'll conform pretty easily no matter what. If you're an 8.5D get an 8.5D. Et cetera.

My TTS is still a mystery to me. I got measured in the AE retail store as 10D, but somehow these shoes fit me perfectly:

9.5E Park Avenue
9.5D Clark Street
9.5D Academy
10D Higgins Mills (thick socks)

MD chukkas in 9.5EEE will certainly be way too wide for me. 9.5D?

dfwcowboy

Reaction score
I have a pair of shell Macneils coming from the SC store in 8 1/2 D - is this what you sent back? Why did you send them back?

They were 9D. I sent them back because they had a considerable amount of wrinkling on the tab of one of them and it was very noticeable at eye level. I got another pair of 2nds from another store and they were indistinguishable from 1sts. I'm quite happy with them.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My TTS is still a mystery to me. I got measured in the AE retail store as 10D, but somehow these shoes fit me perfectly:

9.5E Park Avenue
9.5D Clark Street
9.5D Academy
10D Higgins Mills (thick socks)

MD chukkas in 9.5EEE will certainly be way too wide for me. 9.5D?

It sounds like the most likely way to go. If you have a store nearby with 9.5D dundee's in stock, maybe a try-on wouldn't be a half bad idea. It's *VERY* close to the MD and would be the easiest real-world test. Unless you're in the DC/Baltimore area (or a reasonable distance from it) and would like to try my 9.5D Massdrops on just to see how it feels.

roz77

Reaction score
Another sizing question on the MD Chukkas. I'm a 10.5E in pretty much everything, including 65 last shoes, MacNeils, Cornwallis, and Higgins Mill. I have to size down to a 10E in loafers though, as my feet are really somewhere between a 10 and a 10.5.

Looks like the MD Chukkas are available in D and EEE widths. I think a 10.5EEE would be too big. Since they're unlined, would a 10.5D work? It'll probably be either that or I'll try a 10EEE.

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the most likely way to go. If you have a store nearby with 9.5D dundee's in stock, maybe a try-on wouldn't be a half bad idea. It's *VERY* close to the MD and would be the easiest real-world test. Unless you're in the DC/Baltimore area (or a reasonable distance from it) and would like to try my 9.5D Massdrops on just to see how it feels.

Thanks for the offer @armedferret . I am few hours away from you, so perhaps I will risk 9.5D.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another sizing question on the MD Chukkas. I'm a 10.5E in pretty much everything, including 65 last shoes, MacNeils, Cornwallis, and Higgins Mill. I have to size down to a 10E in loafers though, as my feet are really somewhere between a 10 and a 10.5.

Looks like the MD Chukkas are available in D and EEE widths. I think a 10.5EEE would be too big. Since they're unlined, would a 10.5D work? It'll probably be either that or I'll try a 10EEE.

Reiterating what I said above I'm similar to you. 9E in everything (though 8.5EE works on the 65 with a little more v-gap). 9D DID NOT work for me. I'm somewhere between 8.5 and 9 like you are 10 to 10.5. Can't say how it will work for you but that didn't work for me. I'm either trying 8.5EEE or 9.5D if I try again.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you compare fit of MD chukkas and shoes on the 65 last?
I wear the same for both. The MD Chukka is built on the 511, which is not my favorite last, but the flexibility in construction and material makes it a great fit. It's a bit shorter, but also a bit wider.

melcahoon

Reaction score
They were 9D. I sent them back because they had a considerable amount of wrinkling on the tab of one of them and it was very noticeable at eye level. I got another pair of 2nds from another store and they were indistinguishable from 1sts. I'm quite happy with them.
I will keep my fingers crossed on the ones I have coming. My first pair of shells.

I also just picked up a pair of First Ave boots in Walnut on the Flash sale. The shaft has that weird separation issue where the liner and outer leather don't mesh up leading to a gathering or buckle of leather on the shaft. Saw this with a pair of bourbon Daltons that I sent back. These are likely to go back as well. In my opinion they are not even seconds...

roz77

Reaction score

Reiterating what I said above I'm similar to you. 9E in everything (though 8.5EE works on the 65 with a little more v-gap). 9D DID NOT work for me. I'm somewhere between 8.5 and 9 like you are 10 to 10.5. Can't say how it will work for you but that didn't work for me. I'm either trying 8.5EEE or 9.5D if I try again.

Sounds like your 9.5D would be an 11D for me, which I'm nearly certain would be too large. If only we could return these, if just buy a few to get it right.

pudman43

Reaction score

Walnut McGregors today, guess these are the 'old' walnut? (About 2-3 yrs old?)

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you compare fit of MD chukkas and shoes on the 65 last?

I wear 9D in most of my AEs (collection of 40+), including all my 65s. Those outside of this are: Gobi (8.5D), Higgins Mill (9.5B), Kirkwood (9B), shell Daltons that are worn with a RW insert (10C), Shaker Height (9.5D), Fenway with tongue pads (9.5D).

I went with a 9.5D in the MD chukka, which is ~TTS for me.

Of my 511 models in a 9 (LB, calf Daltons, Fullertons), they seem to be of similar length as the MD chukka in 9.5D.

pudman43

Reaction score

A tan McTavish popped up on the ShoeBank in my size. Does anybody have pics of them in the wild? I may replace these Oak Streets with the loose grain with McTavishes instead, but most the photos on the site aren't great and most of the pics I remember from this thread are of the cognac color.

Also, for McTavish owners of any color: are they comfortable enough to walk in all day? For a year, I have struggled to find a business casual-type shoe that I can wear all day, particularly while traveling. I typically wear desert boots when I'm doing touristy things, but I am looking for a shoe to wear on days when I may be doing in and out of nice hotels, sit-down restaurants, museums, etc.

Very comfy, I wear mine all day with no issues....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics