• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggquis

Reaction score
Going to sell 3 pairs of AE's size 13D. Used but good condition. Selling as a lot $160 CONUS
1. Brooks Park Avenue - brown
2. AE University - brown
3. AE Clifton- walnut

Inbox for info and pix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@quickonthetree These are for you

Biggquis

Reaction score
well, guess I had my shoe priorities screwed up. Joined a month ago (well, closer to 5 weeks) and have since bought:

Strandmok in the buck color
Nuemok in snuff suede
Nuemok 2.0 in black Kudu
McAllisters in Burgundy
couple of AE belts

All came late for a series of trips and conferences I was going to but just in time for this trip, for which I should have had some Park Aves or the like.

Going to my Dad's unexpected funeral, leaving for ATL tomorrow. Wish my lack of shoe-fu was my only regret......

Geez sorry about your loss

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dear AE experts,

I am bitten by the brown Shell Cordovan strands. They are a bit pricey, but I really love them. Do they ever come on sale? Or is my best money-saving bet factory seconds ?

Thanks!

Sometimes they can be had for 15% off during a store opening and RDA sale (though not always). 2nds go on sale more often so that would be your ultimate bargain so to speak. My brown Shell strands were seconds at $400 (sale) and are perfect.

gjk5

Reaction score

Geez sorry about your loss

Thanks, there is a possibility I was balls deep in a bottle of bourbon when I posted that, making this 6 am flight extra special.

tunadubby

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Sometimes they can be had for 15% off during a store opening and RDA sale (though not always). 2nds go on sale more often so that would be your ultimate bargain so to speak. My brown Shell strands were seconds at $400 (sale) and are perfect.

Oh my!!! That's quite a deal. Was this a recent purchase? And is it 400 pre it after tax? Thanks so much for the tip!

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh my!!! That's quite a deal. Was this a recent purchase? And is it 400 pre it after tax? Thanks so much for the tip!

$399.99 before tax. I purchased them in 2016 though without searching through receipts I cannot say for sure when it was. Before July. Again it was from the shoebank and there is a chance those 2nds aren't up to par but if you aren't in a hurry and there are some available in your size then it isn't going to hurt to wait.

Middlife

Reaction score
I've asked myself I I could ONLY have 2 pair of Allen Edmonds shoes. What would they be? And the answer is:

1) Rogue
2) Liverpool

How about you?

Ugh this is hard!

1) Black First Ave
2) Brown Shell Strand
and
3) Loden Suede Dundee

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've asked myself I I could ONLY have 2 pair of Allen Edmonds shoes. What would they be? And the answer is:

1) Rogue
2) Liverpool

How about you?

Man thats tough.

1) Natural Shell Strands
2) Garnet Shell Cornwallis

They are my favorite but all of my AE shells are loved. If there was a fire I'd probably toss em all in a dry cleaning bag and run. With any remaining time I'd try to grab all my backup HDDs... I'm assuming in this scenario that the lady and my dog are capable of walking out, otherwise I'll be carrying them out.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score

I've asked myself I I could ONLY have 2 pair of Allen Edmonds shoes.  What would they be?  And the answer is:

1) Rogue
2) Liverpool

How about you?

Burgundy Shell MacNeils
Burgundy Shell Leeds
I can wear either shoe with chinos and 5 pockets, and pair 'em with a sport coat/odd trousers in a pinch. I would have no issue wearing them with my suits (I work for the federal government and no one pays attention to balmoral vs blucher), so these would be my Swiss Army knives of AE shoes.
They also both fit me well despite my high instep.

Togas

Reaction score
Looking for some advice.

The 5 last in EEE is still snug along my left pinky toe.

Does anyone recommend a last or an old style of AE's I should keep an eye out for that would be similar to the Park/5th Ave / McCalaster etc.. ?

I know that they used to make similar styles on different lasts back in the day.

If nothing from AE comes to mind, can you recommend another shoe company and the last(s) I should be looking for?

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) Rogue
2) Liverpool

How about you?
1) Black Shell Hopkinsons with combination tap soles and rubber heels

2) Walnut Grain Jeffersons with Danite soles and heels

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opinions.

Last year when the Neumoks were $99 I picked up a few pairs.

The 3rd time I wore the Acorn Hillfire I noticed that both heels were starting to separate on the inside and I could get a piece of paper 1/3 in so it was separating a lot.

I sent them back and this shoe is no longer available so I could not get a replacement. I wanted the shoes (especially since they are nice for only $99) so I asked that they be repaired.

AE recrafted them replacing both heels and returned them to me. One odd note the heels do not have AE on them they are just a wave pattern I have never recrafted so was not sure it was normal.

BUT the real issue is today is the second time I am wearing them (and first time I only wore for a few hours) and this am I see again both heels are starting to separate. The gap is currently small but it is clear there is separation after I would say 5 hours of wearing them from recrafting.

Really am I expecting to much that the heels not separate, I have many other AE shoes worn many times none have any heel separation.

Is this really normal or should I once again return them for recrafting under warranty?

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score

Pink & grey and a lil bit of shell.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opinions.

Last year when the Neumoks were $99 I picked up a few pairs.

The 3rd time I wore the Acorn Hillfire I noticed that both heels were starting to separate on the inside and I could get a piece of paper 1/3 in so it was separating a lot.

I sent them back and this shoe is no longer available so I could not get a replacement. I wanted the shoes (especially since they are nice for only $99) so I asked that they be repaired.

AE recrafted them replacing both heels and returned them to me. One odd note the heels do not have AE on them they are just a wave pattern I have never recrafted so was not sure it was normal.

BUT the real issue is today is the second time I am wearing them (and first time I only wore for a few hours) and this am I see again both heels are starting to separate. The gap is currently small but it is clear there is separation after I would say 5 hours of wearing them from recrafting.

Really am I expecting to much that the heels not separate, I have many other AE shoes worn many times none have any heel separation.

Is this really normal or should I once again return them for recrafting under warranty?

I am noticing this on a pair of McGregors and I'm really not thrilled about it. It got worse now and its actually making noise when I walk and it is quite audible. I'll be calling CAC to get it sorted. They aren't made anymore so I'd really like them repaired.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am noticing this on a pair of McGregors and I'm really not thrilled about it. It got worse now and its actually making noise when I walk and it is quite audible. I'll be calling CAC to get it sorted. They aren't made anymore so I'd really like them repaired.
I just emailed the CAC with my email chain to showing the history of this shoe to see what they say. I know someone once told me that some separation is normal but I don't think that is correct come on I have only worn them a few hours after recrafting. I feel they did not put enough glue or something is wrong with the sole preventing the heel to adhere to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads