• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am anxiously awaiting some special Black Friday models — although I haven’t heard anything about them this year. (I hope that I’m not disappointed.)
Who’s with me?

You'll only be disappointed if there aren't any 3rd party (made by AE) styles in your size.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm unsure of the political ramifications of owning 3 pairs of Grant Stone. What I do know is, I like'um. I'm not familiar with the DR made AE shoes, but if the quality is up to suff, God bless them. So, if my Grant Stone purchases assist in toppling democracy... I'm sorry? Lbvs!

So M635 is the man, I went nuts to get my "mistake" cognac McTavish and later my natty shell strand just to be cool like him, but from everything I've tried or own, the MiUSA vs the DR is like comparing a Tesla to a Ford.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it gave one lucky winner a chance to visit the factory in the DR.
I'd totally be down for a visit to the AE factory in the DR or the GS factory in Xiamen
k0WNDf.gif

PANJ

Reaction score
I'm guessing it is the result of a combination of a fair bit of xenophobia they experience and a nod toward the cool and unusual city they are based in. It seems very strange to me that folks are fine with Spain-made (Carmina/Meermin/etc.) or even UK, but have issues with China. Grant Stone's story and background is a little different than typical, and their quality and attention to detail is fantastic.

As you might expect, I'm not one of the DR-haters, though I wouldn't tolerate a reduction in AE's currenty quality and quality control. I guess if they were laying off people to move things to the DR it would be one thing, but my understanding is they're full-tilt in Wisconsin.
Just gonna say that the fact that Allen Edmonds are still made in the USA matters to me, and is part of why I have started to buy them. I just couldn't see myself spending $300 on a made in China shoe, regardless of the quality. Not judging; just my humble opinion.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I very much like the looks. The uppers are nice and supple, but I will say that I believe the finish is a bit fragile. There's lots and lots of room up front for me in these. In fact, if I had to do it again, I might try a half size down to see how that works. There is probably a good 1" in front of my big toe on these. It doesn't really cause me any problems because I can keep the boots securely enough on my feet by lashing them to my legs with the laces (the facings actually touch up by the speed hooks, but they're not too loose). I've walked a decent amount in these and they've been very good to me. In fact, because of the Dainite and the comfort of the Poron, these would probably be one of my top choices if I knew I was going to be walking a lot on a given day. Another reason I know they're probably a touch too big on me is that I seem to bump my toes on stuff more often with these than any of my other shoes. Combine this with the fragile finish, and I need to do give these a little TLC to bring them back into proper shape (you can probably see a couple of the scuffs).

Oh, and also they were somewhat squeaky when I got them, but they have since settled down. I believe mine are now round about 10 months old.

This was a damn fine rock solid summary. Same exact experience on my part, everything.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just gonna say that the fact that Allen Edmonds are still made in the USA matters to me, and is part of why I have started to buy them. I just couldn't see myself spending $300 on a made in China shoe, regardless of the quality. Not judging; just my humble opinion.

So if you could get a PTB from Grant Stone or a Tate....i guess I can rest assured knowing which one you'll go with, so that's a relief.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So M635 is the man, I went nuts to get my "mistake" cognac McTavish and later my natty shell strand just to be cool like him, but from everything I've tried or own, the MiUSA vs the DR is like comparing a Tesla to a Ford.
I haven't really inspected the DR stuff TBH - doesn't seem like AE is putting anything from their best lines there at this point.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd totally be down for a visit to the AE factory in the DR or the GS factory in Xiamen
k0WNDf.gif

The GS factory would be cool. My guess on the DR factory is you'd either see the place being run by a bunch of 18 year olds, or better yet, Caesar and Koba.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I very much like the looks. The uppers are nice and supple, but I will say that I believe the finish is a bit fragile. There's lots and lots of room up front for me in these. In fact, if I had to do it again, I might try a half size down to see how that works. There is probably a good 1" in front of my big toe on these. It doesn't really cause me any problems because I can keep the boots securely enough on my feet by lashing them to my legs with the laces (the facings actually touch up by the speed hooks, but they're not too loose). I've walked a decent amount in these and they've been very good to me. In fact, because of the Dainite and the comfort of the Poron, these would probably be one of my top choices if I knew I was going to be walking a lot on a given day. Another reason I know they're probably a touch too big on me is that I seem to bump my toes on stuff more often with these than any of my other shoes. Combine this with the fragile finish, and I need to do give these a little TLC to bring them back into proper shape (you can probably see a couple of the scuffs).

Oh, and also they were somewhat squeaky when I got them, but they have since settled down. I believe mine are now round about 10 months old.
Longer than other 201 (and 65) last models?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't really inspected the DR stuff TBH - doesn't seem like AE is putting anything from their best lines there at this point.

Oh ho...so now the truth comes out. I DO own plenty of the DR stuff. My biggest gripe is that the screwups are FAR more severe - like two different lengths, weird structure defects like bowing, things like that. With the USA its largely aesthetic. Definitely some worse examples but not the majority. Go to the store and check out the Vancouver. Then tell me you'd equate it to a 1st ave.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So if you could get a PTB from Grant Stone or a Tate....i guess I can rest assured knowing which one you'll go with, so that's a relief.
Non AE: If they fit me, I'd go GS too. I'm a big AE fan, but Alden does usually do better with initial quality control. GS has been reviewed as being better (right now) than Alden.

AE: I'm working on a shell deal right now, so hopefully I'll have something to report next week!

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost weakened and joined the brown shell Higgins Mill GMTO. Again. The cut off can't come soon enough for that one.

These plain toe brown shell Dundees helped today.
BrownshellDundees1.jpg
BrownShellDundees.jpg

Those are post-sale Bill's Khakis M3 (british khaki weathered canvas). The newer canvas is tighter, less textured than older version. With the tighter weave they feel sturdy, a bit like a pair of Carhartts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads