• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Friday forum pals. Congrats to LA and condolences to Chicago. Leeds for the day. Bradleys arrive today to see which pair fits the best. Loser to ride the truck back to Wisconsin.

View attachment 861440
My money is on Leeds.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My money is on Leeds.

Thanks, but I guess I worded things poorly. The Leeds already made the team. Two pairs of Bradleys are arriving today from the farm club. They are 1/2 size apart and after tryouts, one will stay and the other will be sent packing. Sorry, but being from LA means everything today is in baseball analogies.

matwa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leeds Friday (Black with reverse welt....)

10-20-17 Leeds.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What makes you a shoe collector? Is there a number, are you allowed to wear them?
At what point are you considered a shoe lunatic?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While trying to find a budget friendly tux (mostly because I won't wear it enough) I've noticed that a great many of them are being made with notched lapels and without satin/grosgrain. Right now I'm looking at the black one from SuSu because it is the style I want, but more than I initially wanted to spend. I guess I should be willing to spend more on the tux than I did on the shoes.... If only my old one fit.

On black tie, I follow the logic of “I should spend more money on this (a tux), because any event requiring black tie is formal enough that I shouldn’t skimp”.

I’m going on a cruise next week and will be taking my tux for the formal dinners (well, as formal as Carnival gets lol). I’m wearing all the standard traditional black tie stuff, but instead of my jacket I’m taking my navy velvet shawl-collared jacket. I’m also wearing navy velvet Stubbs and Wootton slippers for the first time, so it should be fun.

Also- peak or shawl. Never notch.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On black tie, I follow the logic of “I should spend more money on this (a tux), because any event requiring black tie is formal enough that I shouldn’t skimp”.

I’m going on a cruise next week and will be taking my tux for the formal dinners (well, as formal as Carnival gets lol). I’m wearing all the standard traditional black tie stuff, but instead of my jacket I’m taking my navy velvet shawl-collared jacket. I’m also wearing navy velvet Stubbs and Wootton slippers for the first time, so it should be fun.

Yea I am annoyed at how many are notched. As far as carnival, I've been on 2 7 and 8 day cruises in the last few years. I can tell you that I saw 0 tuxedos for "formal" night. Best was people in suits, worst was people in shorts and t-shirts. They drew the line at swim trunks and a tank top.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What makes you a shoe collector? Is there a number, are you allowed to wear them?
At what point are you considered a shoe lunatic?
I have never thought of myself as a shoe collector. I have 30 pair of shoes. 14 AE and the rest are other brands. I wear all my shoes and 4 of the pair I keep for nostalgic reasons. Even with 30 pair I barely have all the bases covered.

DaveCPA

Reaction score

As someone who's been on a good number of cruises, you're wasting baggage space on that tux (especially on Carnival).

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My endeavor to find out about AE WW2 boots has hit a dead end. Here is part of an answer that AE sent me.
“Thank you for your inquiry. We did manufacture boots for soldiers during WWII, unfortunately the pattern, manufacturing specs, and detailed photos no longer exist. There is very little documented history on it. Keep in mind, our historical archives for the company burned with everything else during the January fire of 1984.” I was hoping for at least a picture of a one.

I became a little interested in this, searched the google several ways and found nothing.

It is one thing for AE to lose everything in a fire in the 80s. But, how is it (?) impossible to find an example anywhere on the internet? I can find (I think) WW2 Corcorans, Redwings, Bates, Goodrichs, etc. There are loads of WW2 boots of a range of brands. None are AE.

Searching eBay, there are many possibilities, unbranded with a certain look that could be AE.
AE-WW2-maybe.png
But, it is a mystery why even an old mass produced boot cannot be found on the google-net.

DaveCPA

Reaction score
Should this be a concern? These shoes are probably about six months old. Maybe worn once a week.

C5685DF6-7896-49E1-9829-64DE19EC1B57.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads