• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe no. You could try the saphir resin repair cream in brown. You would need to sand smooth, fill in with the cream. Next day very light sanding and touch up. After it dries you can polish. But not a bad time to nail a shoe. Indy line is $150? off. I always do this when sale ends.
Thanks, I haven't ever used sandpaper on shoes, so may "tread" lightly. I was afraid they were not fully repairable.

suuteebird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
green2.jpg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was afraid it couldn't be repaired fully.
Hard to say. Probably a good idea to get some conditioner on it sooner than later. It might turn out more subtle than you think, but I doubt you can hide it 100%. Worth trying for sure though.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I haven't ever used sandpaper on shoes, so may "tread" lightly. I was afraid they were not fully repairable.
Fully repairable? If by that you mean that you won't see that there was a incident then no. It will always be present. You might be able to rehab it so that it is only noticeable upon close inspection but definitely not as if it never happened.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fully repairable? If by that you mean that you won't see that there was a incident then no. It will always be present. You might be able to rehab it so that it is only noticeable upon close inspection but definitely not as if it never happened.
I'm going to try some of the suggestions here and then they will become "casual" park ave's. Looks like I'm getting some (more) new shoes. AE shoebank loves me :)

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Recrafting question:
Had a "run-in" with a file cabinet drawer, think these Park Ave View attachment 859741 can be repaired?
I've not had quite so severe a run in on mine, but they have definitely been scared by sheet metal over the years. To get them as smooth as possible the sanding/filler may be necessary. You might be able to flatten it out with conditioner and a spoon as noted above followed by a dye job. I found that just polish left too much evidence, so I stripped and redyed mine after their recent scrapping. You can just barely see that the scratch goes nearly along the entire length of the cap.

20170615_182212.jpg

(The pic actually shows off the toe damage more than in person.)

mcbachma

Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a new pair from the current sale to add to the rotation. Work is full business dress code and I currently have Park Aves (black), Fifth Aves (brown), and Strands (walnut). Any suggestions?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've not had quite so severe a run in on mine, but they have definitely been scared by sheet metal over the years. To get them as smooth as possible the sanding/filler may be necessary. You might be able to flatten it out with conditioner and a spoon as noted above followed by a dye job. I found that just polish left too much evidence, so I stripped and redyed mine after their recent scrapping. You can just barely see that the scratch goes nearly along the entire length of the cap.

View attachment 859803

(The pic actually shows off the toe damage more than in person.)
Good work. They look very wearable.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a new pair from the current sale to add to the rotation. Work is full business dress code and I currently have Park Aves (black), Fifth Aves (brown), and Strands (walnut). Any suggestions?
I would suggest either a McAlister or Jefferson in merlot or oxblood. I work in a full business dress code environment but guys are wearing
a lot of Long Wing Bluchers or fine dress welted slip-ons like Randolph or Lake Bluff. If you are full suit all the time then my first suggestion sticks. If you are like my work space, any odd slacks and button down shirt with sports coat then I am thinking Randolph all the way.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oxblood/Burgundy McAllisters. Could also go Burgundy Carlysle if you have some V in the others. There's also the Cornwallis.
Could go dress boot - the Fifth Street in black or brown.

mcbachma

Reaction score
I would suggest either a McAlister or Jefferson in merlot or oxblood. I work in a full business dress code environment but guys are wearing
a lot of Long Wing Bluchers or fine dress welted slip-ons like Randolph or Lake Bluff. If you are full suit all the time then my first suggestion sticks. If you are like my work space, any odd slacks and button down shirt with sports coat then I am thinking Randolph all the way.

Oxblood/Burgundy McAllisters. Could also go Burgundy Carlysle if you have some V in the others. There's also the Cornwallis.
Could go dress boot - the Fifth Street in black or brown.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Definitely confirmed my general direction.

mcbachma

Reaction score
If I wore a suit to work every day I would be all over Fifth Street boots in brown.

For some reason, I've never understood dress boots. If most of the material is hidden anyway, what is the big draw? Especially in light of a higher price tag. Genuinely curious because I'd love to be converted.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll vote for Dark Chili McAllisters or perhaps Oxblood if they suit your tastes and wardrobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads