• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The books @M635Guy mentions are all good. There are some web-based courses that you could check out as well - if interested, let me know and I'll see if I can dig them up.

Keep in mind that with photography has two aspects - technical and artistic. The technical side is probably easier to learn, particularly with more technical background - it's "hard" science and is finite. The artistic side is much more subjective, and far harder to master in my opinion, but a little bit of learning goes a long way on that side. If you can hone in on what you want to improve, that will help a great deal.
Oh yeah. Believe me, it's not for a lack of reading up. One shelf of my meager book case is devoted to photography. Being that nature, and mostly landscape, photography makes me excited I very much loved John Shaw's books for exposure and Ansel Adams' The Negative and The Print for darkroom reading and general inspiration. I also enjoyed Jack Dykinga's book on large format landscape photography and that nearly propelled me down an extremely expensive rabbit hole trying to replicate his collection of super expensive gear. Thankfully, I only walked away with a cheap 4x5 camera, a couple Rodenstocks and associated accessories. Photography and fly fishing occupied most of my thoughts while I wasn't working throughout my 20s and half of my 30s.

That was a little while ago, so I really need to focus these days on the subtleties of the digital sensors and get schooled up on modern day digital post-processing techniques. Someday, I hope to resurrect my humble dark room, but I also need to get with the times. And, I need to find some photography that fits in to my life now as I can no longer easily go somewhere for a day or more solo to just walk and/or drive around here and there to photograph things.

Anyway, technically, I didn't start this. But thanks to @M635Guy and @jet-stream for at least temporarily causing me to think about that a bit. I still love photography, but mostly as a consumer.

Okay, now to try and make something out of this Sunday. Have a great day, everyone.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with you, my Snuff Dundee's have become one of my favorite pairs.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am as excited as a little kid about my snuff Dundees. It definitely lets me know I made was a good choice... if not financially. Does this still happen to any of you?
I judge it time to back off buying when I stop getting excited.
I would say the most giddy I've gotten this year about shoes have been unboxing of my first Aldens (shell too), my new JF button boots, and my MD chukkas.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am as excited as a little kid about my snuff Dundees. It definitely lets me know I made was a good choice... if not financially. Does this still happen to any of you?
I bought a pair of loden suede Dundees during the winter and have worn them quite a bit. I really like them a LOT. A few months ago, I bought a pair of the dark chocolate suede Dundees. Those have been sitting in a box, waiting for cooler weather ever since.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes. Absolutely every time. I refresh that FedEx tracking notice like constantly.

BTW, missing poor Blackadder in your avatar...

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months ago, I bought a pair of the dark chocolate suede Dundees.
I would like something else in chocolate suede... someday, that is. Probably two if I'm honest with myself. First choice would be a split toe, but that might have to come from another maker.

Otherwise, something maybe a bit more formal than the Sandersons, like a Fifth Ave or Park Ave. Then maybe something a little more chill like the MDxAE.

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am as excited as a little kid about my snuff Dundees. It definitely lets me know I made a good choice... if not financially. Does this still happen to any of you?

Pretty cheesed off with you right now Hubbins - I shouldn't have looked, but after not seeing my size on the shoebank, I went to check out EBay's selection and found the snuff RL version, the Saunders in my size.

Can anyone help me identify the last for that one? Does it have poron?

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty cheesed off with you right now Hubbins - I shouldn't have looked, but after not seeing my size on the shoebank, I went to check out EBay's selection and found the snuff RL version, the Saunders in my size.

Can anyone help me identify the last for that one? Does it have poron?
Saunders is on the 222 last I believe.

It probably wouldn't hurt to call your favorite SA to see if they can conjur up anything from inventory.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like something else in chocolate suede... someday, that is. Probably two if I'm honest with myself. First choice would be a split toe, but that might have to come from another maker.

Otherwise, something maybe a bit more formal than the Sandersons, like a Fifth Ave or Park Ave. Then maybe something a little more chill like the MDxAE.

I refer you to this post:

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I refer you to this post:

Oh, I laughed and I laughed.

But you were right. If they had been my actual size, the outcome would likely have been different. If they release that model again, I'll make sure I end up with a pair.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shiner

Reaction score
IMG_2522.JPG
Out for some coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads