• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see, thanks. I would never guess to size down from my 5 last size as that is already sized down.

Are all Strandmoks unlined?

They are partially lined, but only at the heel. The rest of the shoe is unlined. I'm pretty certain they are all like this regardless of color (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I would start with your 65 size, since you already stated you size down for it.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the old Strandmok in black? The one with the black welt and the blue interior. I've been eyeing them for a while to replace my grossly oversized badlands, and a pair has popped up on the bay. I believe they have poron - would sizing up half a size from my normal 5 last size do the trick? In essence, they'd be in my "tts".
Not exactly, but own current brown Strandmok and take my normal 65 last balmoral size. They fit great. Just another piece of data for you.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't claim I'm really good, but I managed eventually to get comfortable enough that the limitations were mine and not the lack of understanding the equipment or composition...usually. The weak spot is definitely still me, but it is about the only creative outlet I have in a house where my wife and spawn are all very artistic. Anyway, the Scott Kelby "Digital Photography" books were really helpful (first three at least) - they took all the jargon out and focused more how to get the shot you're going for. Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" kinda took me the rest of the way (filled me in on the jargon ;)). Frankly, I'm mainly a texture and travel photographer - mainly stuff to remind me of how it felt to be wherever I was instead of just what it looked like (which never seems to come out).

Pilot boat in Charleston, SC
6610125055_3c345eea89_b.jpg

Coffee shop at Pike's Place, Seattle
8493010155_3a6fce3649_b.jpg

Love Locks in Prague
7480221874_cb8dc80f80_b.jpg

Pipes in Beijing (since replaced - took a pic of those too...)
7380521006_5dcc6c4fa8_b.jpg

Bankok
FHubqd.jpg

Monk in Taipei
eiAgpa.jpg

A Jim Beam pop-up bar in Tokyo
Ek7JSw.jpg

Northern Lights in Iceland
15296244218_9143262790_b.jpg

Shrine in Tokyo
14757384444_455f8eb2d5_b.jpg

Back to our regularly-scheduled Weaseling...
Good work!

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the 1.4 that'll kill ya...
And the long fast glass
and the brackets/feet
and the tripod
and the vario-filters...
So true. It was my creative outlet for several years. I really enjoyed it! That Bryan Peterson book was great when I was first figuring things out. I think it's still on a bookshelf in our den. I haven't been out shooting much the past couple years. Kids and career have kept me from getting getting out.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't claim I'm really good, but I managed eventually to get comfortable enough that the limitations were mine and not the lack of understanding the equipment or composition...usually. The weak spot is definitely still me, but it is about the only creative outlet I have in a house where my wife and spawn are all very artistic. Anyway, the Scott Kelby "Digital Photography" books were really helpful (first three at least) - they took all the jargon out and focused more how to get the shot you're going for. Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" kinda took me the rest of the way (filled me in on the jargon ;)). Frankly, I'm mainly a texture and travel photographer - mainly stuff to remind me of how it felt to be wherever I was instead of just what it looked like (which never seems to come out).

Pilot boat in Charleston, SC
6610125055_3c345eea89_b.jpg

Coffee shop at Pike's Place, Seattle
8493010155_3a6fce3649_b.jpg

Love Locks in Prague
7480221874_cb8dc80f80_b.jpg

Pipes in Beijing (since replaced - took a pic of those too...)
7380521006_5dcc6c4fa8_b.jpg

Bankok
FHubqd.jpg

Monk in Taipei
eiAgpa.jpg

A Jim Beam pop-up bar in Tokyo
Ek7JSw.jpg

Northern Lights in Iceland
15296244218_9143262790_b.jpg

Shrine in Tokyo
14757384444_455f8eb2d5_b.jpg

Back to our regularly-scheduled Weaseling...
I like what I see here for sure. Very nice. I am certainly a sucker for creative use of limited depth of field. I'm sure I would derive some pleasure from viewing more photos and examining your collection of gear. I've always been heavy on loving the the gear but light on the inspiration.

Now to some degree my attire is my medium... be that what it may.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a small pile, you didn't have the bug like you do for shoes. That would have been extremely dangerous for your wallet, and definitely was for mine. I did, however, hit a point where I was pretty dialed in with what I had and things are stable there - I haven't even been tempted to look for used D810's now that the D850 is out. I think (and hope) I'm about there with shoes. I'm pretty thankful the BMW habit is settled now too...

The reviews on the 810 have me thinking its time to hang up my F5. But the little voice in my head that tends to control my actions says, "Never! Never I say!"

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reviews on the 810 have me thinking its time to hang up my F5. But the little voice in my head that tends to control my actions says, "Never! Never I say!"
I think you'd find my D700 pretty familiar and fun. It is nice not worrying about shots left it ISO. A nice example is under $800 (and has been amazingly stable for a while)

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are partially lined, but only at the heel. The rest of the shoe is unlined. I'm pretty certain they are all like this regardless of color (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I would start with your 65 size, since you already stated you size down for it.

Absolutely on board with Mr. Profila on this. The feel a lot more "roomy" because they are unlined but the length, width, lace-gap, etc. is very much on par. I would NOT size up on the Strandmok. I'd say 75% would go same size, 25% might size down in length if the unlined made that much of a difference.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still irritated I didn't get the Dopp kit. I'm at least 70 pairs in.

Horse man, that makes absolutely no sense to me in any way shape or form. I'd have figured you'd be first on the list for this.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's very surprising since unlined usually comes out tighter across the vamp (able to last tighter). Not surprising since there is some variation in fit between 65 lasted shoes

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's very surprising since unlined usually comes out tighter across the vamp (able to last tighter). Not surprising since there is some variation in fit between 65 lasted shoes

Thanks for all the input. So the poron here does not affect the fit like it can on other shoes? I was thinking originally that the 5 last sizedown and the poron size up would cancel each other out

Last edited:

Shiner

Reaction score
IMG_2518.JPG
Here is a pair of pants that I still have problems with. I just gave up and used a pair of Hanover calf skin in "Cordavan color".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads