• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That was probably the easiest weaseling ever. :eh:

Glad to hear it! Weaseling is complete. That's a hell of a deal you are getting. You basically get a $475 shoe for $108 in new condition. You 9 D people are so fortunate. Shoebank has way more rarities in 9 D than in 8.5 D.

Oh, but in case you are not aware, the 222 last might feel more narrow on your feet. I would say if you are normally an 8.5 D, these Williams should fit you well. But if you are normally a 9 D, they might feel too narrow. I hope it works out for you. If they don't work out, I'm sure someone on here would love to buy them off you.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[warning: OT. Skip as appropriate]

So ... of the many things I appreciate about this thread is that most here seem to be interested in style as opposed to fashion (style is lasting, fashion is fleeting). If a given look is stylish, it may occasionally rotate into fashion - apparently, this is now the case with the @St Hubbins "grandpa pimpin" look:
IMG_7652.JPG

My wife described this as a "combination of Jim Tressel*, college republican, and a grandfather." Pretty accurate, I'd say.

* For those that don't know the name, Jim Tressel was an American football coach at the college level, best know for coaching THE Ohio State Buckeyes. He was well-known for wearing sweater vests during games, winning a bunch of games, and having a high tolerance for players getting tattooed.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[Still OT]

Weekend contest:

Pursuant to my last post, the same store had a photo depicting what I assume to be a current fashion.

IMG_7651.JPG

I can't say I endorse this look in any way, but I struggled to define the look - tiny surfer who stole clothes from a nursing home, and maybe a bag from his sister? It defies description, but therein lies the challenge. I'll turn it over to the collective wisdom of the forum. I also figured this might provide an outlet to let some snark out; this forum is remarkably civil. So:

Weekend caption contest - describe what you are seeing in this photo.

TheHeathen

Reaction score
Glad to hear it! Weaseling is complete. That's a hell of a deal you are getting. You basically get a $475 shoe for $108 in new condition. You 9 D people are so fortunate. Shoebank has way more rarities in 9 D than in 8.5 D.

Oh, but in case you are not aware, the 222 last might feel more narrow on your feet. I would say if you are normally an 8.5 D, these Williams should fit you well. But if you are normally a 9 D, they might feel too narrow. I hope it works out for you. If they don't work out, I'm sure someone on here would love to buy them off you.
I'm actually a "C" so it should be fine. For that price I thought it was well worth the risk.

Thanks again for mentioning the auction. With retirement looming, my attire is transitioning more towards casual. I don't need another pair of "work" shoes but I'm sure I will be able to fit them into the rotation.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm actually a "C" so it should be fine. For that price I thought it was well worth the risk.

Thanks again for mentioning the auction. With retirement looming, my attire is transitioning more towards casual. I don't need another pair of "work" shoes but I'm sure I will be able to fit them into the rotation.

Oh good, you should be fine if you're a 9 C. A lot of people (myself included) feel that a D width on the 222 feels like a C.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[Still OT]

Weekend contest:

Pursuant to my last post, the same store had a photo depicting what I assume to be a current fashion.

I can't say I endorse this look in any way, but I struggled to define the look - tiny surfer who stole clothes from a nursing home, and maybe a bag from his sister? It defies description, but therein lies the challenge. I'll turn it over to the collective wisdom of the forum. I also figured this might provide an outlet to let some snark out; this forum is remarkably civil. So:

I think we could call it Beverly Hills Hobo.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you just go ahead and write in your welt/edge changes on the recraft form? When I asked about doing something similar via email, they said no. I think I'll just follow your lead, and send in mine.

PM response sent. Happy to PM with others who also have the same question.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
[Still OT]

Weekend contest:

Pretention Checklist

Oversized coat? Check!
Oversized shirt? Check!
One shirt tail hanging out? Check!
Belt too long? Check!
Pants puddling around shoe tops? Check!
Sweater vest tucked in and out? Check!
$4,200 color coordinated back pack? Check!

Checklist completed. I'm a douche.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretention Checklist

Oversized coat? Check!
Oversized shirt? Check!
Belt too long? Check!

That's how he earned the "D" hanging from his necklace.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There’s so many options in your sizes. Gets thin at 12.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[Still OT]

Weekend contest:

Poseur from THE OC

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretention Checklist

Oversized coat? Check!
Oversized shirt? Check!
Belt too long? Check!

Douche! I almost choked

madmike283

Reaction score
Hey group, first post here. I've kinda caught the quality shoe bug and have been figuring out how to build a collection that fits me over this summer. In my experimentation I came across the AE Sanford, and the apparent two versions/generations of it.

See the pics below to see some comparison shots. The 4-hole newer walnuts were NOS from AE, the others are from ebay. I have read that the Sanford is on the 7 last, but did they use two different lasts? I feel like the toe is slightly more rounded in the newer one. The old is 9.5C and new is 9.5D, dark brown is 10B FYI. Do the markings inside tell me anything?

BTW, the sickness is difficult to shake I can tell. I've also added snuff Dundee 2, Brown CXL HM, and recently ordered a pair Alumnus to try out.

IMG_20170923_114613.jpg IMG_20170923_114625.jpg IMG_20170923_114713.jpg IMG_20170923_114817.jpg IMG_20170923_114914.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads