• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GolfGuyRV

Reaction score
Technically, loafers shouldn't be worn with suits in the first place. So, all types would be fine for what you're seeking, honestly.

A full strap lofer tends to be the most formal of types, and a half strap loafer would look a little less formal and perhaps hit the sweet spot. A beefroll loafer is usually a little bit more casual.

I wear half strap/pinch penny loafers and beefrolls at work with chinos and a button down.
Awesome, I couldn't put my finger on all the different styles but googling your terms got me on the right track. Thanks so much.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a pair of olive suede Saukvilles on the Shoebank in my size for $97. There is also a pair of snuff suede Dundees in my size for $137.
There are only two problems:
1. I bought three pairs of suede chukkas over the winter (loden Dundee, dark chocolate Dundee, and a non-AE in a light beige). Adding either one of those pairs from the Shoebank seems somewhat redundant.
2. I'm still looking for a job. So until I land a job, my spending on new shoes is going to be extremely limited.
Hopefully I can fix that #2 problem soon so that I can worry about things like #1!
I love me some Loden. But I did not like the Loden Suakville. I don't like it even at $97. Snuff Dundee at $177 for 1st is a STEAL same at $137 for seconds.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case anyone was curious, I just spent 5-10 minutes applying some AE cognac premium polish (same stuff I use on my Walnut leather since it is much closer to Walnut than Walnut is) to the welt with a Q-tip. The AE premium polish has a low pigment concentration so it didn't completely stain the thread, but it did darken it a tad which I think helps. Here are two so so photos to try to illustrate the difference.

View attachment 819348 View attachment 819349
@BackInTheJox Same advice. I haven't done it to the welt stitch, but it know its a pain when I apply colored polish to shoes that have contrast stitching.

BTW, I use take a paper towel and brush it over the stitching to remove the polish off of it and get the contrast back.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey there. Mr. Partially Off-Topic, Maximum Verbosity Guy here...

As you all are probably painfully aware, before my most recent suede jag, my previous spree of shoe purchases was focused on casual styles. And, as a direct or indirect consequence, my attire has likewise skewed a bit more casual as I have brought these shoes into the rotation and enjoyed wearing them. However, I'm feeling like I'm neglecting some of my original pair(s) which are dressier shoes.

So, I'm thinking about switching the slush fund focus to trousers for a bit. I'd like to add a handful of pair(s) (of trousers) that would both complement my dressier shoes and new suede pair(s) while also allowing me to wear the shirts I own (which are mostly OCBDs/PPBDs in long sleeves and polos and a handful of button-up short sleeve). So, the pants can't be too dressy. It's a fine line. I would like probably two more pair(s) in lightweight summer fabrics and then a couple pair(s) of heavier, textured fabrics for the cooler months and the OCBDs and sweaters.

I'm thinking, for the lightweight side, of adding another pair of linen or linen blend pants and perhaps a bit of a dressier chino. Both must be very functional colors. Then, for fall/winter, I'm thinking I really need to add a pair of grey flannels and then maybe some kind of tweed in an earth tone. I would like these to be in a slim(mish) fit, and I believe I would have these tailored with a 2" cuff and ideally no break (and hopefully to keep them from falling down).

Any ideas or suggestions knowing what you know from my posts about my manner of dress? Also, I would be very willing to entertain suggestions about where to source such trousers without spending a fortune. S&M certainly has some that look nice, but I haven't purchased from them before. For example, these interest me for spring/summer:

https://www.spierandmackay.com/product_information/5829_copper_linensilk___contemporary_fit

Would love to know more about the sizing and fit (i.e. contemporary vs. slim) if anyone has experience.

Thanks!
I suggest what I always suggest for clothes: check out Spoo's auctions. NWT pants for far below retail, or gently used for a freaking steal. Just figure out your ideal waist measurements, then go up to .5-1" off from that and take them to your tailor for an exact fit.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest what I always suggest for clothes: check out Spoo's auctions. NWT pants for far below retail, or gently used for a freaking steal. Just figure out your ideal waist measurements, then go up to .5-1" off from that and take them to your tailor for an exact fit.

I second this. You'll get way better clothes for less money than at any store.

But if you don't want to go through the ups and downs of auctions. For the money, Brooks Bros pants are very good, but WAIT FOR A SALE!

Outside of that, check Nordstrom Rack or Saks off Fifth etc. when they have they're big clearance sales. And buy by feel. You'll know quality when you feel it regardless of its a brand you've never heard of.

DRJames

Reaction score
So a pair of Rush Street's caught my eye and I really like the look of the Golden Brown Chromexcel but I already have a pair of Strandmoks that do get a lot of wear. It's a good price, too much overlap or is it worth it with how much I like CXL?

Also interested in how to track down this Spoo fellow.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Olive Strandmok in the wild. 20170725_220827.jpg

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So a pair of Rush Street's caught my eye and I really like the look of the Golden Brown Chromexcel but I already have a pair of Strandmoks that do get a lot of wear. It's a good price, too much overlap or is it worth it with how much I like CXL?

Also interested in how to track down this Spoo fellow.

His SF thread here: LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread Ebay auctions go up every Thursday.

Shiner

Reaction score
I just realized that I have AE shoes in 5 different sizes that all are really good fits. Only the sixth size, that the master fitter talked me into, is workable but fit is not optional. Funny thing how I need different sizes in the 65 last. Madison Park 9.5C. Strand 10B. I have a chromexcel 65 Last in 9.5B. How many sizes do you have?

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny thing how I need different sizes in the 65 last. Madison Park 9.5C. Strand 10B. I have a chromexcel 65 Last in 9.5B. How many sizes do you have?
Actually... the Madison Park is on a different last... the 222. But, I do have 65 last shoes in three sizes... except one was definitely a mistake. I take 8.5D in the balmorals, but sometimes 8D is better for me in bluchers. I have Strands in 9D... generally they feel okay but a bit too much volume up front and so they creased funny. 9C would have probably worked.

My rule is now have a very good reason to stray from 8.5D ...

P.S. My office is five minutes from Wood Dale. Seems like we almost have enough representatives from Chicagoland to support a regional WeaselCon.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just realized that I have AE shoes in 5 different sizes that all are really good fits. Only the sixth size, that the master fitter talked me into, is workable but fit is not optional. Funny thing how I need different sizes in the 65 last. Madison Park 9.5C. Strand 10B. I have a chromexcel 65 Last in 9.5B. How many sizes do you have?

I can wear 4 different sizes on the 65, and I cannot do that on any other last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads