• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just perused the new styles on the AE website.

Its painfully obvious this ship is sinking, if this is the new direction theyre headed in.

Initially I thought that too with all the crepe sole Italian styles but the "mctavish" is actually not that bad - it's basically a lined neumok. I would definitely describe things as repetitive though.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does merlot or oxblood typically look better with gray/charcoal pants than chili? Or are they all in the same ballpark?

Any opinions on the Exchange Place? Looks like an older model but it's sub-200 on Shoe Bank.

Personally think merlot and oxblood look better with gray/charcoal but to each their own. I like the chili color but it is my least represented color with 1 BB Warwick. I have several shoes in oxblood, merlot, shell #8. I'd go with @Neo1 on the Carlyle in oxblood. I have it and love it with gray. I know the few suggestions are to get black PA or Carlyle but if you are not going to wear it then don't get it. My black Hopkinson only make it out for weddings on the night time semi formal dress. Sometimes I'll wear them to work just to give them love but it's rare. They do feel fantastic though.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does merlot or oxblood typically look better with gray/charcoal pants than chili? Or are they all in the same ballpark?

Any opinions on the Exchange Place? Looks like an older model but it's sub-200 on Shoe Bank.

Light grey = chili (or walnut)
Charcoal = merlot (or black)

:)

RMB35

Reaction score
Personally think merlot and oxblood look better with gray/charcoal but to each their own. I like the chili color but it is my least represented color with 1 BB Warwick. I have several shoes in oxblood, merlot, shell #8. I'd go with @Neo1 I know the few suggestions are to get black PA or Carlyle but if you are not going to wear it then don't get it.
I agree with this especially since your black Strands can fill that role.

GolfGuyRV

Reaction score
I agree with this especially since your black Strands can fill that role.
Guess that was at the heart of my question, whether my black strands can suffice in almost all settings. They seem to work for funerals, weddings and job interviews if I'm wearing a blue suit. Not sure when I'd need to step it up from there but figured you guys would set me straight if in fact they're too casual for those settings.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. What would oxblood go with then?
Oxblood would be closer to merlot.
Perhaps chili is a little better match for light grey, and maybe merlot is a little better with dark grey, but honestly I think that either would be OK with all shades of grey (or navy).

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guess that was at the heart of my question, whether my black strands can suffice in almost all settings. They seem to work for funerals, weddings and job interviews if I'm wearing a blue suit. Not sure when I'd need to step it up from there but figured you guys would set me straight if in fact they're too casual for those settings.
Since most of the other guests will probably be in plastic square toe slip ons, your strands should work for most everything you need.

New2Suits

Reaction score
Im relatively new to wearing suits (name checks out), but as much as you want to read about what to match with what... from what I see out there, it really doesnt matter. The fact that you are on forums like this, put you in at least thr 95th percentile in best dressed... may be different where you work, but I see a lot of square toe black plastic shoes, ill fitting suits, and hideous color coordination. I say wear what you're comfortable in and what you like...even if you break a rule or two, theres a good chance that you're still better dressed than most and most wont know the difference.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are in a very traditional atmosphere, then is probably a good idea to keep to the "rules". There's a lot of very well dressed people that pair things a bit it of the norm because it creates such interesting combinations of color/textures/style. As long as your clothes for and you aren't wearing a leopard print suit with lime green shirt to a funeral or wearing black shoes with lighter tan chinos and a black polo, I doubt I'll be disapproving. :D

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On an AE note, I was wiping down my soles before putting them in the cabinet last night - go cart pedals are filthy! I didn't expect to stain my shoes black, not that it affects anything or won't just wear away.

I FINALLY received my total uv recovery kit yesterday. Someone was asking how to keep their boat shoes from stinking after not wearing socks. I'm betting this might help! And maybe occasionally using saddle soap in the interior. Though, I used it once on the footbed of my birkenstocks (used to wear them sun or snow bask in high school), and didn't like the resulting texture. They did start to smell after two years of daily foot sweat for sure...

20170723_091854.jpg

TresG

Reaction score
So, I'm kind of concerned that I'm seeing more noticeable creasing in my right shoe than my left. For now, I'm chalking it up to driving and right foot getting more action with the pedals and what not. Has anyone seen this happen? Will my left shoe eventually "catch up" with my right? (note: I don't mind creasing in and of itself, as it's inevitable and I think they add character)

IMG_3210.JPG

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I'm kind of concerned that I'm seeing more noticeable creasing in my right shoe than my left. For now, I'm chalking it up to driving and right foot getting more action with the pedals and what not. Has anyone seen this happen? Will my left shoe eventually "catch up" with my right? (note: I don't mind creasing in and of itself, as it's inevitable and I think they add character)

View attachment 818065
I think the answer here is "maybe." You have the variation of the leather, the shoe construction, your two feet, how you sit, and your gait. I think look to your other shoes for some insight as to how it may look as time goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads