• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without going into too much detail, I heard that AE is really trying to focus on the younger customer right now. Because of this, we're likely going to see more entry-level and casual models in the near future. The core mainline shoes will not change, but we won't see as many limited time or short term releases like in the past.
But seriously, I feel like a better approach would be to support movements with the goal of educating the younger generations about the benefits of buying more classically styled shoes that are well constructed instead of chasing fads and buying disposable trash. I find this favorable to the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, condolences on your loss.
I find the state of dress as it reflects respect for others, dignity or even self-respect to be disappointing, if not disgusting. I won't get on a soapbox here, but I did make sure that my children know how to dress and present themselves in all situations. With that said, my own brother is an offender when it comes to dressing properly. Hard to imagine that this trend will ever reverse course...

A couple years ago I interviewed with a large oil and gas company in my area (coincidentally, I'm interviewing for the same position again 4 years later...). I showed up to the first interview dressed to the nines- cuff links, tie bar, navy suit, very "investment banker". The entire elevator ride up to the office, the hiring manager mentioned how over dressed I was and lamented about how the company used to require tie/jacket, but after casual Friday was introduced, "clothing standards (had) been going to hell ever since". It's all golf shirts/chinos now. I thought it was an interesting conversation, it's stuck with me all this time later.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple years ago I interviewed with a large oil and gas company in my area (coincidentally, I'm interviewing for the same position again 4 years later...). I showed up to the first interview dressed to the nines- cuff links, tie bar, navy suit, very "investment banker". The entire elevator ride up to the office, the hiring manager mentioned how over dressed I was and lamented about how the company used to require tie/jacket, but after casual Friday was introduced, "clothing standards (had) been going to hell ever since". It's all golf shirts/chinos now. I thought it was an interesting conversation, it's stuck with me all this time later.

I'm curious, how did you dress for the interview this time around?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without going into too much detail, I heard that AE is really trying to focus on the younger customer right now. Because of this, we're likely going to see more entry-level and casual models in the near future. The core mainline shoes will not change, but we won't see as many limited time or short term releases like in the past.

I just hope they do the college colors strandmok again this year- that's the only thing I can think of that's truly unique that I'm missing. I do want tan Veronas, but I can find those elsewhere if need be.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But seriously, I feel like a better approach would be to support movements with the goal of educating the younger generations about the benefits of buying more classically styled shoes that are well constructed instead of chasing fads and buying disposable trash. I find this favorable to the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach.

I agree, but I also understand why they want to do this. It's going to help their bottom line, and society in America as a whole has become more casual (generally speaking). We'll still see new dress offerings from what I was told, but they'll be more like the ones you see like the Riverside (Nordstrom Rack offerings). I think we'll see less webgems like in the recent past. Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, how did you dress for the interview this time around?

Navy suit, white shirt, repp stripe tie. I was at work that morning at a financial services firm where the dress code is suits 5 days/week, so I had a bit more leeway. Still, no cuff links/pocket square/tie bar.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A blast from the past... CEO Paul Grangaard posted in Style Forum...

There were several times when he interacted with the SF guys and even complimented some on their creativity with AE MTO's.
What were the so called brush off leathers?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

"I heard that AE is really trying to focus on the younger customer right now." My reaction is "Why"? With all due respect, (cough) I am hard pressed to think of anything that the "younger customers" are doing these days that makes me think, "Hey, they are really on the ball with that and I think I should be going that direction too." I would provide an entire list of dumb-ass things being done by "younger customers" these days but I might insult people.

The new intergalactic shoe borg that bought AE should start a new brand, make casual and lower quality shoes and just market the **** out of them to younger customers under that name. I see no sense in downgrading the quality of the offerings in an existing brand and then try to foist them to experienced customers as "new styles." Yes, I'm cranky today. Does it show? I didn't think so.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I heard that AE is really trying to focus on the younger customer right now." My reaction is "Why"? With all due respect, (cough) I am hard pressed to think of anything that the "younger customers" are doing these days that makes me think, "Hey, they are really on the ball with that and I think I should be going that direction too." I would provide an entire list of dumb-ass things being done by "younger customers" these days but I might insult people.

The new intergalactic shoe borg that bought AE should start a new brand, make casual and lower quality shoes and just market the **** out of them to younger customers under that name. I see no sense in downgrading the quality of the offerings in an existing brand and then try to foist them to experienced customers as "new styles." Yes, I'm cranky today. Does it show? I didn't think so.

Hey! I'm still a younger customer!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A blast from the past... CEO Paul Grangaard posted in Style Forum...

There were several times when he interacted with the SF guys and even complimented some on their creativity with AE MTO's.

You know, reading Paul's post all this time later makes me realized how reasonable the decision was, and how abusive and entitled we had become. Although at the time I was really angry, haha. He's such a great guy.

Hey! I'm still a younger customer!

This kinda makes me wonder what the median age is here. At 38, am I at the older or younger end of this community? I would have guessed older...

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafers and I don't get along. I had given up on them forever and then the Patriot came out. I know, I know - most people can't make them fit. But the 12 EEE had my number down. Then I lost weight and have to use tongue pads and inserts. Since I have 4 pairs (two shell, a shark, and a suede) they have to work. These are from the first trunk show that had awesome colors. Green shell is really beautiful but a little hard to see inside. The more I wear them the more the green shows through, though.

View attachment 814757 View attachment 814758
Wow I like that green shell. Next trunk show that's what I'm going in for color-wise.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know, reading Paul's post all this time later makes me realized how reasonable the decision was, and how abusive and entitled we had become. Although at the time I was really angry, haha. He's such a great guy.

This kinda makes me wonder what the median age is here. At 38, am I at the older or younger end of this community? I would have guessed older...

38. Great age. I have shoes older than you. :cheers:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, I always assume I'm on the younger end of things at 33 as, depending on what day school ends, I might still be 38 when my son graduates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics