Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing, accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TexasTexter, Jan 3, 2017.

1. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    As a fellow 11 EEE wearer, I saw those and thought "Nope, those belong to @New2Suits" and I just went on about my business.

2. Kroaker

Kroaker Senior member

Burnished brown Strands today. Just wonderful shoes!

20170717_144239.jpg

3. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

There should be a "StyleForum Collection" featuring models we invent.

@ProfilaBinding's design would be made of 100% piping.:lol:

Mine would have to be suede.

4. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Had a funeral this morning, so dressed more formally than my typical summer get-up. Though these Carlyle are dark chili, I have used a few different shades to tone them down to darker brown with some hints of red. These are some of the most formal/least flashy I own, so I keep them stored for special (or in this case, not so special) occasions. A since replaced SA recommended I go up to an E width on the 108 due to the tapper and me being on the long end of my 65 size. Should have gone longer and down in width. Oh well. Decent comfort, but, as you can see, there is zero v-gap at all. So goes it for the flat-footed peeps of the world...

Had to go with a midnight navy suit, since the only black suit I own (purchased for brother-in-law's wedding almost a decade ago) fits so baggy it is absolutely comical. Wore it about 5 years ago for my son's funeral, but was in too much of a daze to realize how bad it fit.

Here I was stressed that I wasn't in a black suit with black cap toes. Like most settings these days - I was somewhat appalled at the jeans, short sleeves, sneakers. Hell even some t-shirts. I understand it is 100 in Texas, but this was a funeral in a catholic church with mass. Come on, people. You can do better.

2017-07-17 14.08.35.jpg
    2017-07-17 14.07.31.jpg

5. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Wearing my Bartlett's today and wow, these sure have a strong smell.
    I've kind of softened my stance on profila binding. I have a pair of Crockett & Jones that have it, as well as several pairs of AE where I'm ok with it. However, I think it doesn't look great on the Leeds 2.0 and Carlyle shoes. On my Bartlett's, it looks fine. But you are right -- I prefer piping most of the time. Not a great pic below, but it is from this morning (my green pants look yellow).

IMG_20170717_074303.jpg

6. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

1. My condolences for now and for the passing of your son. It's terrible to outlive one's children.
    2. Yes, people should do better for such occasions in respect to the departed and their family. I personally believe this is just part of societies loss of propriety over the past 20+ years.

7. Southwick

Southwick Senior member

I like 'em. Without the kiltie, they are Manchesters, my first love with AE.

8. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

First of all, condolences on your loss.
    I find the state of dress as it reflects respect for others, dignity or even self-respect to be disappointing, if not disgusting. I won't get on a soapbox here, but I did make sure that my children know how to dress and present themselves in all situations. With that said, my own brother is an offender when it comes to dressing properly. Hard to imagine that this trend will ever reverse course...

9. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

10. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

A blast from the past... CEO Paul Grangaard posted in Style Forum...

There were several times when he interacted with the SF guys and even complimented some on their creativity with AE MTO's.

11. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

I just dropped by the main AE site to see the list of New Styles. 8 shoes were listed and 4 of them were made in Italy with crepe soles. No last information and they all looked a bit bulbous. The other 4 were MiUSA but had rubber or dainite soles. Not a leather soled shoe in the bunch. The Strandmock and McTavish were appear to be downgrades with dainite or "vintage rubber" soles. I, like many here, was underwhelmed with the "new styles." For me, this is not a good trend.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 3:41 PM

12. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Know what's a result of MY drinking? My bourbon McAllisters and Strands everyone talks about. #noregrets.

13. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Without going into too much detail, I heard that AE is really trying to focus on the younger customer right now. Because of this, we're likely going to see more entry-level and casual models in the near future. The core mainline shoes will not change, but we won't see as many limited time or short term releases like in the past.

14. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Say it ain't so!

15. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

But seriously, I feel like a better approach would be to support movements with the goal of educating the younger generations about the benefits of buying more classically styled shoes that are well constructed instead of chasing fads and buying disposable trash. I find this favorable to the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach.