• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still pissed there was no Dundee during the trunk show!

This. My SM initially told me I could do custom insole, stitching, welt, edges, etc and the Dundee would be an option. If that was the fact, I'd have a natty and navy in my closet.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in an engineering office, which is stereotypical in both casualness and unfashionable with lots of black square toes, when a dress shoes is even worn. The McT is pretty dressy for the place. I'm in chinos and a button up pretty much daily, with an occasional polo shirt. It's that context that makes me think they could be redundant. That said, my McT have become a bit orangish with their patina. Maybe I'm over thinking it? Damn. I may have been weaseled!!
If I was ever in charge of a casual workplace (God help humanity), I think I'd prefer people just go with sneakers than crappy Payless shoes.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My frustration with the 65 is pretty typical of those with high arches/insteps -- the cone is low, so I tend to go for the next larger size. I can wear the 65 TTS, but it's not very comfortable through the instep.
Half down and one up in width works for many with our instep problem.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
If there is a shoe that can handle consecutive wears is the Dublin McT's.

WTF is all this redundancy people keep taking about??? ITS A MYTH!!! There is no such thing. Its a figment of your imagination! Go away you redundancy-truthers! :colgate:
I'm a scientist and know about redundancies and redundancy in shoe wear is a well-debunked myth. ACE 13x is correct.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. My SM initially told me I could do custom insole, stitching, welt, edges, etc and the Dundee would be an option. If that was the fact, I'd have a natty and navy in my closet.
Same!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've moved from an expectation of quality in the products we purchase to items needing to be "fashion forward" and cheap.:angry:
All of the above? America's love/hate relationship with foreign made goods.

Not everyone, just the unwashed masses. There are items (not so much in shoes and clothing) where you can objectively skimp, but not everything.

And I love my Italian made shirts as well as my Brooks Brothers MiUSA.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until a large enough percentage of customers demand better nothing will change.
The name is often all that matters to most people. They don't care if the rubber sole wears out because the upper will be worn out by then because they have intention of caring for them even if they knew how.

You see some of the former occurring in food (the rise of Whole Foods, locally grown and organics), but I don't think Mickey D's is going out of business any time soon.

As for the latter, there has always been a "look at me attitude" in mass appeal fashion. I remember a guy a few years back who was so happy about his new North Face coat, and I said to him, "Dude, look around! Every 10 year old punk is wearing a North Face. do you think you really have something of any quality." Then he just stared off blankly into space.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...and maybe the bourbon Strand when the brought bourbon back. BUT only if I assuredly knew I would get a pair like @orange fury or @ProfilaBinding, because I have them in Walnut. I'm also guessing they'll be back in the future.

You'll have another chance. I admit that I did get lucky with mine. Bourbon is total crapshoot it seems, but I think the more recent ones had more "good ones."

Wore my walnut University shoes today. I always think of @Neo1 when I wear them, as this is one shoe that gave him hell at the instep. I never would have imagined a year ago that I'd be wearing this kind of shoe in the following year. Sometimes I still feel it's too loud, but it's nice-looking.

IMG_20170627_163747.jpg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I was ever in charge of a casual workplace (God help humanity), I think I'd prefer people just go with sneakers than crappy Payless shoes.

True -- people would look so much better wearing a pair of sneakers than those ugly, square-toed, black plastic-like dress shoes. I understand that most men are probably not convinced that spending $300 on a pair of shoes is good investment. I was the same, until I had them on my feet. To quote Jonathan Jones of C&J, "We find that when people have our shoes on, they don't worry quite so much about the price."

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll assume you're joking. All of my stuff is basic as hell. I spend way more on shoes than clothes... and it probably looks that way.
Thats what makes it interesting. Besides, I'd say 90% of us spend more on shoes than clothes, or for that matter some of us more than food and shelter. BTW, looking for a room-mate for that refrigerator box? :rotflmao:

TheHeathen

Reaction score
I don't see why there would be, they offer Dainite on some of the dress models anyway. I even saw a Dainite Jefferson, There may even be a picture of it in the 2016 thread.
True, even the current McAllister is offered with the Dainite.
Just in trying to read through this thread from the beginning (haven't touched the OG thread yet) while staying somewhat current on the new posts, it seems that that the Dainite sole isn't extremely popular. Just not sure if it's a general preference for leather soles or if it's the longer break-in period?

Thanks to you and everyone else that is helping me learn. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads