• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Continuing chukka week with my Gobis.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Totally missed these posts.  BitJ - did you wind up returning these?  Thanks for pointing out they were the Duke platform instead of the Kenwood, big difference.  Wanted to add to eliminate the confusion - the BB Duke is MiUSA, the AE Duke was DR.  I will say though, I have owned the DR-produced football grain Duke for a while now and still wear it a lot on weekends.  Definitely not bad.

Sorry, can't remember if it was you who had asked, but did you see the pics I posted of the Shanley?  Little different than the Acheson, available in the darker brown suede (like I got), no contrast tassels.

I did end up returning them and at times have regretted it.

I'm pretty sure the BB football grain Dukes are DR even though the website says US. People have commented to that effect on the BB site. Regardless, the build quality wa excellent. Mine were seconds but there were zero defects I could find.

I will definitely have to go check on your pics of the Shanley, thanks for posting them!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the thread discussing the AE company sale was deleted from Ask Andy. I wonder why.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the thread discussing the AE company sale was deleted from Ask Andy. I wonder why.
Censorship is ugly. I've not really spent much time on AA either, but hopefully SF respects the first amendment.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the community, as it's often more gentlemanly than SF. But I also participate more here for that same reason :p

I was following the thread there because I know that Mr. G is a friend of Andy's and posts there more frequently.

Edit: ah, I see. I guess the fall-out of our political age is that we often jump to conspiratorial conclusions.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Those are Bentons as far as I can tell. They are orthotics. Those soles wear out from what I hear rather quickly too. That price there indicates about $100 USD and I don't think a pair of used bentons are worth that at least not in my opinion. Hope that helps.

@twombles62
, those shoes appear to be in great shape, though I have the same reservations as @M2511
. Hard to know if the rubber soles have given out or not. I think with a little patience you can do better - unless you are specifically seeking out orthotic type shoes. There are some decent NW (no warranty) options on ebay that could get you into better/newer for a similar price.

I have two pairs of Bentons (my first two pairs of AE) and I am very familiar with the look of the soles and upper on these shoes. The pair you reference are in very good condition. The orthotic insole does not have much in the way of imprint even when it's new. The nice thing is that you can order a new set from AE for about $25 USD. The old ones pull out and the new ones slide in. I do think you can wait and find a cheaper pair, but they will likely not be in this level of condition. So if you are looking for a pair, this is likely as good as you will find unless they are new.

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely new to buying used shoes so I'd like some advice on an ebay listing. Need a good pair of black business shoes and could save a bunch on used.

How are these for a used pair? The upper looks alright, and the soles look good, but the stamp on the inside is completely worn off, indicating heavy wear?

Thanks! Hopefully I haven't given away a steal for someone else in this thread, but I think not.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALLEN-ED...212182?hash=item41b7a97c56:g:nQYAAOSwal5YKCU0

Lol - you can really tell when someone's new I guess. And there's NOTHING wrong with that - feel free to post and ask questions about whatever you want, don't feel the need to hold back.

Couple points -
If I was looking for "black business shoes," the Benton is not what would come to mind. Maybe you're mistaking these for a 5th Ave? The Ashton & Benton were designed to accommodate an orthotic. They are actually very good products - another example from AE I don't understand. Why do away with these and keep the Road Warriors? I personally have no interest in any of these mainly because I can't stand such a soft outsole but if I did want one, I would choose the Benton over a Road Warrior anyday.

If this is really what you wanted, meaning an orthotic style in particular, and something with a soft outsole and a sneaker-like feel, I wouldn't go for ebay. 1st quality pairs are still available at 177 (contact the CaC, some were even available in my size and have been for over a year), and shoebank has them for 157.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, friends, what am I missing? These are the infamous $177 Shoebank Jefferson originals. My curiosity got the best of me and I ordered them. They are flawless. Absolutely nothing that 30 seconds with the brush can't fix. Why are they so cheap, and how did they show up now, inasmuch as the 2.0 has been out for a couple of years.

I guess it is appropriate that they arrive today. These shoes are so beautiful and well made, kind of the high water mark for what AE stands for. We'll have to see where the company goes from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apparently no one here takes a 7.5C? Been there for two years I'm pretty sure....

Southwick

Reaction score

Quote:
Lol - you can really tell when someone's new I guess. And there's NOTHING wrong with that - feel free to post and ask questions about whatever you want, don't feel the need to hold back.

Couple points -
If I was looking for "black business shoes," the Benton is not what would come to mind. Maybe you're mistaking these for a 5th Ave? The Ashton & Benton were designed to accommodate an orthotic. They are actually very good products - another example from AE I don't understand. Why do away with these and keep the Road Warriors? I personally have no interest in any of these mainly because I can't stand such a soft outsole but if I did want one, I would choose the Benton over a Road Warrior anyday.

If this is really what you wanted, meaning an orthotic style in particular, and something with a soft outsole and a sneaker-like feel, I wouldn't go for ebay. 1st quality pairs are still available at 177 (contact the CaC, some were even available in my size and have been for over a year), and shoebank has them for 157.
I second this. This particular group is comprised of the most pleasant and courteous people you'll find anywhere. Any rare snark is always in good humor, and I've never seen an group of people willing to help out in any way they can. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nolaman

Reaction score
I am really close to getting the walnut strand BB version. I have the black and brown, and my OCD really wants the walnut ones.
My first and probably favorite pair of AE are BB walnut strands (not including my shell strands). They may also be my most comfortable. I really like the poron insole.

catlettsl

Reaction score

Quote:My first and probably favorite pair of AE are BB walnut strands (not including my shell strands). They may also be my most comfortable. I really like the poron insole.
Funny y'all mentioned this. Were my BB Park Ave's are very comfortable the poron insole and rubber sole make the shoe very bulky. I prefer the look of the AE models. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ny3pcg

Reaction score
Picked up these seconds brown Mcallisters from the shoebank. I noticed the discoloration on one of the shoes and was wondering whether I can blend it in with some cream or polish or if I should send them back for another pair. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads