• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkdc

Reaction score
did you went half size up from your barrie size?

No I didn't. This is my Barrie size. The Tremont last is an in-between size last. I'm 7.5E here. I wear 8E in Hampton last and 7.5E in Barrie last. The Aberdeen last just won't fit me as my toes feel uncomfortably cramped. I guess I have fat toes. There was a time when I wore the 7 EEE in Barrie last and the heel (EEE/E) just wouldn't fit right. However, my foot shape has changed over the years and I'm thankful that I now fit in the E width, as I just can't imagine how fat some heels must be to fit snug in a Barrie.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No I didn't. This is my Barrie size. The Tremont last is an in-between size last. I'm 7.5E here. I wear 8E in Hampton last and 7.5E in Barrie last. The Aberdeen last just won't fit me as my toes feel uncomfortably cramped. I guess I have fat toes. There was a time when I wore the 7 EEE in Barrie last and the heel (EEE/E) just wouldn't fit right. However, my foot shape has changed over the years and I'm thankful that I now fit in the E width, as I just can't imagine how fat some heels must be to fit snug in a Barrie.

Tremont is weird. I went half a size up from Barrie, i.e., TTS, and sadly they were too long. Lots of weird creasing in the toe box. Shame, too - they were Cigar shell and are unlikely to be made again...

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some help in making a decision on which pair to keep as my formal black balmoral.

The Carlyles were shipped in shoebags with no 2nds marks on the bottom of the shoes, which leads me to believe that they are really firsts. I got them at a previous summer 2nds sale price of $195.

These Park Aves are a successful 3rd attempt at receiving a good pair of firsts, pricematched from the Nordstrom Anniversary sale at $265.

Since they both fit you great, there's no wrong decision you can make. My vote would be for the Carlyle because you got a pair of 1sts for $195. That's outstanding. It depends on your dress situation though. The Carlyles are definitely more dressy, but I couldn't really see black PA's being much more flexible. 265 for a PA is pretty good.

cutips8765

Reaction score
All,

I recently got started with AE and got me a few pairs this couple of weeks. One of the pairs I got is the McAllister in Oxblood (new, 1st), which looks great. But they have some markings in the toe area (see pictures). Is this normal or should I send them back? I am afraid of sending them back and get the same thing with replacements. Anybody recently got a pair of these with the same issue? The same marking is on both shoes.

I have the exact same issue as you. See the pictures of my pair on page 1006 of this thread.

I received my pair yesterday and emailed Customer Service. My contact said "I did send your pictures to manufacturing. They said it was the toe box. With this style of leather it is unavoidable. If you would like, I can certainly get the footwear back and refunded." I asked if the markings will disappear with more wearings and shining/conditioning, but she said she wasn't sure and maybe after the leather softens it will relax a bit.

I'm not exactly sure what to do at the moment.

Here's someone's photo of a pair of McAllisters. You can see these shoes have the toe markings too, but not as prominent as the ones on your pair and mine.

McAllisterHeader3.jpg

Last edited:

RichardC300

Reaction score

This is my 3rd shoe from the AE Shoe Bank. I've been pretty lucky with seconds. These dark chili Mora 2.0's had an eraser-sized light spot, and the salesman put some polish on it. I can't tell where the original light spot was, but now the whole area where he put polish on is a little lighter than the rest of the toe cap. What would I need to do to even out the whole toe cap and getting it to look like the left shoe?

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Night time Rich kept the jacket (never warmed up) but traded the jeans for chinos.

narcosis219

Reaction score

This is my 3rd shoe from the AE Shoe Bank. I've been pretty lucky with seconds. These dark chili Mora 2.0's had an eraser-sized light spot, and the salesman put some polish on it. I can't tell where the original light spot was, but now the whole area where he put polish on is a little lighter than the rest of the toe cap. What would I need to do to even out the whole toe cap and getting it to look like the left shoe?
What color polish did you use for the dark chili mora 2?

Scarlet

Reaction score
I need some help in making a decision on which pair to keep as my formal black balmoral.

The Carlyles were shipped in shoebags with no 2nds marks on the bottom of the shoes, which leads me to believe that they are really firsts. I got them at a previous summer 2nds sale price of $195.

These Park Aves are a successful 3rd attempt at receiving a good pair of firsts, pricematched from the Nordstrom Anniversary sale at $265.

Both pairs fit great. Which would you keep and why? And no I'm not going to keep both you FBWs.

My current rotation:

Brown Shell Strands
Merlot McAllisters
Walnut Madison Parks
Natty Higgins Mills
Loden Suede Dundees
Bone Suede Maritimes

Carlyles

Park Aves

I would keep the Carlyles, just because I think they're better looking. I don't think there's any issue wearing them with a business suit. Plus you'll get more money back for the Park Aves.

Last edited:

RichieP

Reaction score

These are seconds, purchased during a Christmastime sale at the Mebane ShoeBank location. So, yes, they go on sale. But, FWIW, they were not listed on the website.

They are a Club Monaco exclusive, so its up to them as far as sales go.  The pop up at ShoeBank Outlets on occasion (also the White Suede Leeds), but I don't think I've seen them on the ShoeBank website (but I only check my size).

I also prefer it to the Boone.

Thanks for the heads up guys. Looks like I have some calling around to do. ;)

I actually wore my suede McGregors today, because we are setting record highs in Atlanta, and I think I'd rather have those Leeds to fill my suede spot.

tkebh979

Reaction score

What belt do you all use to match the Brown Burnished Calf color? Thinking of the Wide Basic on sale for $79. It's still a lot for a belt and the reviews are terrible. I DO own the same belt in Merlot and have not experienced any problems with it so far, but I've probably only worn it a half dozen times, give or take. Open to other suggestions, however. Thanks!

I have this belt, been in heavy rotation for about 5 years. It's like buttah. Probably Bick 4 it every couple months, as my desk chair inevitably nicks it up a bit in back.

RichieP

Reaction score

@St Hubbins +1. Caleb, Ashley & Jay are also really great too.

Ordered my McTavishes earlier this year from Jay. And the McGregors come to think of it. Hope they were OK from hurricane Matthew...

catlettsl

Reaction score
348b96e7f5ca523f796a6569c6e2afac.jpg

f71497a0093177446824d66eb4871d95.jpg

Once again our favorite eBay sale thru with the goods!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Middlife, it looks to me like the Carlyle fits you better; the Park Aves have a slight bulge at the throat. If I'm mistaken, it's a toss up for me.

gbarquero

Reaction score
Cutips, thank you for the response. I don't know what to do, but looks like I might get the same thing if I return them :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads