• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwatts2005

Reaction score

I chalked it up to the lighting characteristic of this particular store, and in particular the darker area in which I sat at the time. The color balance was super wacky, and colors were also dull and muted. Here is an in-store pic of a walnut calf Strand next to walnut shell, and it's a decent representation of how things could look drab and lifeless in that light.

Outside of the store, colors came to life.

Also, 100% agreed that it makes zero chance to buy a color you do not prefer.

This difference could be due to one shoe being a size 44, and the other being a 9.

CMT1

Reaction score

This difference could be due to one shoe being a size 44, and the other being a 9.

LOL! An 8.5 D and 11.5 D really do look comical next to each other.

Last edited:

22busy

Reaction score
I've been wanting to sample the 201 last. I've also been wanting a basic black shoe for everyday business casual wear. I thought, at the current shoebank price, the Thomastown was too good to pass up. A pair is due to arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping I like the 201 last based on the comments here.

While I was at it I thought the Freiburgs were too good to pass up at $107. I can always use a good weekend kicking around boot. Those came in today. I really like them. I'm tempted to send them back due to a spot on the toe, but at $107 I may keep them to kick around in. It not visible at eye distance. You have to be closer to them to notice. At least with my eyes.

I thought the brown (reddish) Freiburgs were supposed to be Horween Dublin leather. I think that's what I read on here. But, the printing inside the shoe says imported leather assembled in the U.S. Is this not Dublin? I still like the leather either way. I think when it's time for a resole I may put a mini lug sole on them.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a high end shoe store and the gent there measured me to be 8.5. However, looking down, I saw that my toes ended at around 9. The results were interesting because I have never worn shoes less than 9, although most of my shoes were around 9.5 and 10, with sneakers sometimes at 10.5 or 11.

The PA were snug around the pinky toe, and I can feel that both the length and width were lacking in 9.5D. Actually, I tried a 10D again today with socks that are slightly thicker than dress socks, similar to athletic socks but definitely not medium thickness socks. Anyway, fit was good although a bit more width would be perfect.

If thats the case with the PA, then I would say you can go with a D width in the Dalton. Of course, nothing will ever beat actually trying them on. The length is up to you, remember its only 1/6 of an inch for each 1/2 size, so some personal preferences are fine. Myself, I tend to prefer less space in front of my big toe, so I tend to go down in length if I can, assuming everything else fits well.

nbj08

Reaction score
Would anyone here be interested in a pair of burgundy shell Daltons? Size 11D. They have a topy and heel tap.

I'm thinking of listing them on eBay tomorrow, but thought I'd ask around here first.

Here's a picture of them - I'll be taking more tomorrow.

Send a PM if you're interested in more details - I'd be happy to answer any questions!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I brag? I picked up these Oxblood Strands yesterday with my McAllisters and they are quite possibly my favorite shoe in my wardrobe.

I have the Strand in Walnut (I know, I know.... shocking), but I've ALWAYS loved the Strand in Oxblood. Sigh!, budgeting myself sucks.

gatszu

Reaction score
Well, I will be getting rid of most if not all of my SMU cordovan shoes. I have been ordering the wrong size all along. I was fitted 6.5EEE in the 5 last and 7EE in the 511 last. However, wearing those sizes, my right foot has been aching around the big toe each night. I am a 7E on the brannock, and used to wear 7D in most shoes without discomfort, which was why I never dialed in on the correct size in cordovan. I started out with AE in 6.5E in calf PA & Strand and they fitted just fine. I recently tried a PA cordovan in 7EEE, and this turned out to be a perfect fit. No pain or discomfort anywhere. the V-gap closes completely. No heel slippage or no bowing at the ankle. My ankles are skinny and narrow, and I feared 7EEE in the 65 last would be too wide at the heel and I'll have heel slippage, but 7EEE fits perfectly, like mdubs and his Strands
lol8[1].gif

So, now I am trying to dial in my size in the 511 to get some new Dundees. Should I go with 7EEE, 7.5EE or 7.5EEE? Again, on the Brannock, I am 7E; if I lean forward, then it's 7.5E. My feet are skinny, narrow at the ankle, and wide at the ball and toe areas. With 7EE in both the Dundee and Bayfield, I feel like the ball is at the widest part of the shoe. However, with the tapered toes on the 511, my toes are getting squeezed. It feels like 7EE maybe be a little bit short. With the 7EE bayfield, the length of 7EE seems to be right, but the width is definitely narrow. So, should I got with 7EEE or 7.5EE in the Dundee? Both 7EEE and 7.5EE are SMU, so I have to order judiciously. Perhaps I should start with 7.5EEE, which is a stock size and go from there?

In the Barrie last, 7E feels a little bit long, a bit tight at the ball, and too loose in the ankles. Side by side, 7E Barrie and 7EE 511 is almost the same length. However, the toes on the 511 is more tapered and it makes the 511 feels shorter than the Barrie. Volume wise at the ball, 7E Barrie feels similar to 7EE 511.

I should also say that 6.5EEE in 65 last feels very similar to 7EE in 511 last.

How do you gentlemen with EEE width size in the 511 comparing to the 65? I would very much appreciate any and all inputs.

On another note, I'll be selling the following if anyone is interested:
Navy Cordovan Dundee 7EE 511-last 1st quality gently worn
Natural Brown Cordovan Dundee 7EE 511-last 1st quality gently worn
Brown Cordovan Bayfield 7EE 511-last 1st quality gently worn
Green Cordovan Strand 6.5EEE 65-last 1st quality gently worn
Brown Cordovan Jefferson 6.5EEE 65-last 2nd quality gently worn
Natural Brown Cordovan First Avenue Boot 6.5EEE 65-last 1st quality unworn

Thanks for reading!

alexnb

Reaction score
Anyone have real-world pictures of the Buckstrand? There's a cheap one on shoebank and I am wondering how it looks with jeans.

Last edited:

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rocking the new Leiden today. One of my few that I actually paid retail for...kinda.

Those look like a great fit. But I must know, what are those socks? They look like a vintage pocket square fabric. Love them.

danwatts2005

Reaction score

Casual Friday on the train.

BL70

Reaction score
Received my dainite Daltons last night. Here's a side by side shot with Long Branch in case anyone else was curious. The dainite sole really is unnoticeable from the side, unlike a lug sole. With the clearance price these ended up being the exact same as the LBs I had bought during an RDA sale.
Funny observation, the inside sole of the Daltons says 'Bleeker street,' anyone else come across an error like this before? I guess it wasn't enough to make them seconds.
They look great, but man they squeak like crazy!

BL70

Reaction score
The sizing on these was also weird for me: 10.5D in LB and 10D for Dalton. From previous posts it seems like most size down for the LB, but I was the reverse. Even though the Dalton is noticeably narrower, I had major heel slip when I tried on the the Dalton in 10.5.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gatszu I wear two different widths in the 65 last....12E for Blutcher and 12eee for Bal's...I am traditionally a 13e in the 511 last however I took a flyer on a pair of 12eee Daltons and they work perfectly fine with no discomfort. I measure a 13E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads