Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I went with my normal 13B in the I90. The left shoe feels like it could be almost too short, but I think it will be OK. (That's my bigger foot.)

2. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Yep! I'd brag - Their color is gorgeous.

Awesome choices. I really like the Norwich in your photo.

I always used to see a brown shell pair available on Shoebank in my size, but never bit.

3. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

One more picture....
    I didn't have a belt that matched my bourbon Strands quite as well as I wanted. I found this belt by Torino online and thought it might work. It arrived this week and I'd say it's a pretty good match.
    [​IMG]

4. nqtri

nqtri Senior member

Just got my first AE Park Avenue. Usually, the first thing I would do before wearing leather soled shoes is to put on the TOPY protector. However, the sales lady at my store (not AE store) suggested I wear the AE for at least 3 months before putting TOPY on. So when is the best time to install TOPY actually?

5. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Maybe it's the lighting, but the belt looks chili and the shoes look bourbon? Or is it just me...

6. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

To me, both of those colors are wonderful, but they aren't a match.

7. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

It's funny that you mention that....
    After posting the picture, I picked them up to put them away and noticed the same thing. In the artificial light, the belt does have a more reddish tint compared to the shoes.
    I had never compared them at night before. With more natural light, they look like a closer match.
    I'm going to have to compare these to my chili shoes now.

8. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I should also mention that I'm color blind.
    I'm not kidding.
    Maybe I should stick with using the AE matching belts from now on. It's either that or ask my wife to pick a matching belt.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  9. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I don't know, but in this light, that Bourbon is outstanding! Mine are OK, but nothing like this. I know that AE had some trouble getting uniformity with the Bourbon color, but if your shoes are reasonably similar, they should've kept it. That's beautiful.

10. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Whenever I saw the bourbon in the store, it was so-so. When they discontinued the color, I decided to give it a try and ordered these. This pair is SO MUCH BETTER than any pair I ever saw in the store. I love this color now.

11. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

This is so adorable. I have never witnessed someone so bad at the Internet flail so much.

Goodbye.

Back on topic. In DC for a few days, snow out of nowhere. Thankfully I was wearing my Shaker Heights with a topy; I never enjoy wet leather soles if I can avoid it.

12. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Monochromacy, Dichromacy, or Trichromacy? And if not mono, do you know if you have a proto, deutero, or trito issue? I'm curious, just because I've been sort of recently fascinated with this subject and read a lot about it. (Why? I love rabbits and their trails.)

13. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Nice. I wore my Shaker Heights today as well. It's starting to get too warm for boots here, so I'm trying to eke out the last few wears before retiring them to the closet until next season.

[​IMG]

I could not agree more. I originally went in for walnut Strands, and they were out of my size and offered the bourbon Strands as an option. They were so green in the light of the store that I couldn't fathom how anybody would buy them - Until I brought them outside into natural light, at which point I was sold.

When I got them home and took pictures, I felt I'd never buy walnut Strands due to how much I liked them in bourbon.*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yours look great! Wear them in good health. :slayer:

*three weeks later, thanks to the incessant temptation of this thread, I owned walnut Strands too

14. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

This is kinda why I'm curious about the specific colorblindness of mreams. Most commonly, people have a hard time with red and green distinction, which would confirm for me that the green I see in the bourbon color is more than my overactive artistic sensitivity to color. I don't like bourbon for this very reason. I don't care how good they look in natural light, if I go indoors and I hate them, which I am afraid will be the case.

15. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I am red-green colorblind. That doesn't mean that I don't see red or green, or that they are shades of grey. It's just sometimes hard to differentiate between certain shades of red and green.
    I do see some hints of olive in my bourbon Strands. I don't think that it's overwhelming to my eyes. I love the variety and depth of color(s) in my pair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.