1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nhlducks35

nhlducks35 Senior member

Heard y'all wanted a shot of bourbon...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

I wasn't sure how the Cornwallis would turn out in bourbon (I always thought more broguing worked better with the color- i.e., the Strand and McAllister), but those look fantastic

3. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

I've considered a pair of MJ's or Costas for sport sunglasses, but just never pulled the trigger. Seems like everybody I knew in college wore Costas (mostly frat guys)

4. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Senior member

Others have given you some excellent answers to your questions. I thought I might give you few tips on how I maintain my shoes.

Many AE shoes are made to last a lifetime if properly cared for and there's several things you can do to lengthen their service life:

1) Rotating your shoes so you aren't wearing the same shoes every day. Three pairs or more in your rotation is ideal.
    2) Using shoe trees immediately after use
    3) Brushing your shoes clean ideally before and after use
    4) Applying mink oil or some other type of moisturizer designed for shoes periodically, ideally every other week or more often
    5) Polishing them periodically, ideally once per month or more often

Dirt, dry rot, and water are the enemies of your shoes. These steps protect against those things. Not everyone does all these steps, and some may do more, but this is what works for me. Cream or wax polish is largely a matter of personal preference. Both perform the same function. Cream polishes generally give a more satin look while paste waxes are better for giving your shoes a glossy appearance. Personally I use cream polish on the uppers, welt, and on the sides of the soles. I do not use any sort of edge dressing other than cream polish. I use a toothbrush to work the polish into the welt. I only use paste wax type polishes on the reinforced sections of the front and back when I want a mirror shine.

5. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

If you're worried about the polish getting in the holes, don't worry about it. Brushing will remove all the polish.

Conditioners are great, but there's something about polish (neutral or pigmented) that feeds the leather really deeply.

Try not to over-do it in terms of frequency, but you have to work pretty hard to screw up leather. Get some decent brushes (Grant Stone's are a great bang-for-the buck - softer and more bristles than the $4-cheaper 8" brushes I got from Amazon).

6. lodemia

lodemia Senior member

I could use some help. I'm about to pull the trigger on some long wings on shoebank. They're on the 511 last, and I don't have anything on that last. I'm a d on the 65, and b on the 201. Does anyone have a pair to offer advice on whether I should use my 65 or 201 sizing?

7. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

So as promised, I've posted eight pairs of shoes to thin the herd out a bit: http://www.styleforum.net/t/534718/allen-edmonds-thinning-the-herd-11-5-12-wide#post_8703195.

These are them:

Allen Edmonds MacGregor in Green Shell Cordovan, 12 EEE

Rancourt for Ralph Lauren Eltham Loafer in Natural Shell Cordovan, 12 E

Allen Edmonds Strand in Green Suede, 11.5 EEE

Allen Edmonds Rogue in Dark Chili Calfskin, 12 EEE

Allen Edmonds Hampstead in Chili Calfskin Weave, 12 EEE

Allen Edmonds Oak Street in Natural Chromexcel, 12 E

Allen Edmonds Colton in Cognac Calfskin, 12 EEE

Allen Edmonds Leeds in Burgundy Shell Cordovan, 12 E - yes, I'm finally selling these.

PM me if interested.

8. deker9

deker9 Member

One of my favorite pairs

9. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Resolution Day 1. Fairgate's:

On the way to the Hospital:

[​IMG]

Cramp hospital room. These things are going the way or airline seats.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

+1 - I am solidly on the MJ team as well. The bronze lenses are a thing of beauty, and this is froma. Guy who is not very tolerant of lenses that create color shifts. Not sure what kind of voodoo is in the MJ lenses, but I have significantly less eye strain when wearing them than other lenses (includes other high-end lenses like kaenon). If one of their styles works for you, MJ is worh the cash. My wife is a recent convert as well ...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  11. amphillips79

amphillips79 Senior member

This coupled with the fact I have to go back to work in a few more days after nearly three weeks out of the office inspired me to have a drink of a special blend of Crown made for a store near my mother's house. [​IMG]

12. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Senior member

Cheers from Texas...

[​IMG]

13. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Good advice, but I suggest rotating with at least 12 pairs if possible.

Also, I read through a different discussion on this site about mink oil and there seems to be a lot of debate on if it's bad for dress shoes. Some people argued it was terrible while other said it was fine. Not sure what to believe. I have the Saphir Renovateur that contains some mink oil, but I've been hesitant to use it because I don't know if it's going to mess up the shine. It also smells horrible, but that's just a minor thing. But I absolutely love Saphir's neutral cream polish. Amazing stuff that works on any color shoe. I used some on my navy PA's today.

[​IMG]

Some men like to go fishing -- I like to polish my shoes to clear my head.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  14. amphillips79

I absolutely love Renovateur for my refinishing projects. But on regular maintenance I think it would need to be used carefully as, like AEs conditioning cleaner, it can strip polish, wax, and potentially finish from a shoe. Just my two cents!

1 person likes this.
  15. amphillips79

Someday I'll be able to enjoy that in Pennsylvania.... unless you are feeling generous and would like to send me a belated Christmas gift? :-D

16. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Spoken like a true weasel.

My $.02:

I've never used mink oil. I've heard similar pro/con concerning neatsfoot oil. While I have never used neatsfoot straight, I'm sure its in some other products I've used. I know Lexol makes a version of there products without neatsfoot, but I believe the regular version (what I use) has neatsfoot.

0) 90% of shoe care is preventative. Wipe and brush your shoes when you're done with them, and store them with cedar trees, preferably away from dust.
    1) Condition when needed. I typically do it every 5-6 wears, but depends on the leather. I've used AE leather lotion, but I now prefer Lexol. I've heard good things about Bick 4. They're all similar so use what you feel works best.
    2) Polish when needed. Typically I'll do it after conditioning, and lightly. A little goes a very long way. I don't polish waxy leathers like CXL and Dublin.
    3) I wax only if I want a mirror shine. So that applies to limited cases I use the AE carnauba wax.
    4) Once in a long while I'll use AE Cleaner Conditioner. Note it will take off the burnishing AE applies.
    5) For shell: Brush. Brush. Brush. Brush some more. Lexol. Brush. Brush. Use AE Cordovan cream to restore the color (if you want to).

There are many other very good products. But the above work for me.

17. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that you aren't my size. But a good idea for sure; it's probably time for a New Year's closet cleaning...

18. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Senior member

The more shoes you can rotate with, the better as that's simply going to make all of them last longer and lower the cost per wear, but the idea is definitely not to wear the same shoes every day unless you want to significantly shorten the service life of your footwear and increase the cost per wear. There may be a hazard to mink oil, but as much as anecdotal evidence is worth I've been using it for decades in one form or another with good results. I use the bottle form of Saphir mink oil referenced in the previous link. I'm not sure how it differs from Renovateur, but I prefer having it in a bottle. It also has a strong chemical smell. I use it regularly on my black shoes that I keep a glossy finish on and I haven't noticed it affects the shine negatively other than it hazes over after application and needs to be buffed after it has a chance to soak in.

19. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Nah, there are serious diminishing returns with this whole large rotation thing. And I've spent many a business trip with one pair of shoes. If low cost/wear is what you want, then keeping 3 or 4 pairs maximum is the sweet spot (because your cost is really what you've spent on all your shoes)

20. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Senior member

I'm sure there is a point of diminishing returns, but I'm not sure where that bend occurs. I'm sure it has something to do with the quality of leather and construction you started with and the care you take with them. I've never had more than 7 shoes in my rotation, yet still have one pair I've owned all of my adult life and it's still quite serviceable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.