1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Rothsay for this soggy Friday.

[​IMG]

2. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

This is a very well-rationalized collection; I'll freely say that it is much more reasoned than my own collection when I was at 8 pairs (nope, not going to share the number, but let's just say I think shoe 8 or 9 was my third Rutledge).

My kneejerk thought is that you need a boot, but that may not match your aesthetic or need. If that's on the table, Dalton, First Ave, or Dundee depending on your anticipated use. FA is being closed out, so you may want to act fast if you like that.

For shoes, my personal next move would either be a monkstrap or an Indy shoe.
    For monks, I have both the Mora and the Warwick and like both (Mora is also being closed out, and if you go Warwick @SLCRich may have a color recommendation for you). There's also the St John, and the Franciscan (closed out but you may be able to find, which have brogueing.
    A non-casual strand seems like a logical next step as well, but I'd consider the Indy version (Bartlett) - brown may be a nice fit in your collection. If you're patient you don't have to break the bank (hint: shoebank sale or eBay), and the Indy shoes are special.

Others will undoubtedly have better suggestions, but if it were me my next step would be a First Ave, Mora, or Bartlett. The weasel in me says all 3, of course.

1 person likes this.
  3. quickonthetree

quickonthetree Senior member

It snow flurried this morning so I tossed on some Dark Chili Daltons in case it does more later.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. jjtitus

jjtitus Well-Known Member

Day 1 wearing Dundee 2.0s and holy hell they hurt. These feels tighter than my other pair of 8s. I don't know how much I can expect them to loosen up. How much of a possibility is it that these are mis-sized? So frustrating because I wore them out since they felt fine when I first put them on. So much stiffer than the other pair. Don't understand why such a difference.

5. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Well-Known Member

First Ave boot recommendation question:
    Which color looks best in reality? Brown, textured brown, or walnut?

TIA

6. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

What last is your other pair on? The 511 is a tighter fit than other lasts; I actually go up a half-size from my Brannock . . .

1 person likes this.
  7. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I have the brown grain and they are awesome.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    2 people like this.
  8. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Could be the shoe, or it might not be the right size for you. There is a small chance they might have created them on a different size last and then mis-labeled them. That happened to me once.

The fact that you claim "holy hell they hurt" is probably something you should not ignore. If the store sized you as 8, they should take responsibility for it. Sounds like you need an 8.5.

9. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Senior member

Thanks to ebay, I now have two from the Indy collection in new condition for less than half of even the Shoebank price. My impression of them is they are superior in just about every way to the next step down. However, those differences are subtle. Going by the full retail price of the shoes, I'd have to say the Indy line is well worth the 20% premium in cost, but I wouldn't say those differences would trump considerations like style or fit. Personally if I were granting favor to a more contemporary cap-toe oxford, the Exchange Place would win out over the Hopkinson with it's more traditional American oxford design. But if the choice was between the Park Avenue and the Hopkinson, then the latter would be the better choice. Bottom line is I wouldn't pick an Indy shoe primarily because it's an Indy shoe, but if it's along the lines of the style or fit you're going for, then it's the logical choice as the appreciation of the quality is going to far outlive the difference in price.

Of those you mentioned the walnut Bartlett is on my radar. The only thing about the 201 last is it tends to bulge in the middle with me because my instep is not pronounced like those in which the 201 is intended to correct. So despite AE's promise that there's no compromise with the 201 vs the 65 for those with a normal instep, that has not been my experience. That being said the problem is inconsequential for me, but may not be so for others.

1 person likes this.
  10. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

They all look pretty nice; brown is a bit darker in person than the photos online may lead you to believe, though perhaps a touch lighter than typical AE dress shoe brown. Walnut looks like walnut; I personally prefer that color with brogueing, but YMMV. Textured brown looks find but it's a matter of taste - it is certainly less formal. I'd break it down into two decisions:

Light vs. Dark: how will you be wearing the shoes? If dress and casual, are you comfortable with the lighter color with dressier clothes? If only wearing with jeans, walnut is pretty spectacular, but it might be a bit flashy if you work in a conservative business environment.

Grain vs. not: the brown grain has a dainite sole and would probably be the best choice if the boot will be used in inclement weather. With that said, not all like dainite; I don't have an issue with it, but the combo tap sole is my favorite that AE makes.

Ultimately, I went with brown - it's probably the most versatile, but note I already have Daltons in bourbon and Dundees in brown grain.

[Edited for minor typo. Curse these stupid fingers!]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  11. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Stomp ... EC, are you with me?!

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. jjtitus

I mean another pair of Dundee 2.0s. That pair was softer and fit better but it had too many flaws in the suede so I grabbed these.
    Unfortunately they didn't size me. I bought them from a shoe bank and don't have any AE stores near me. The lady I did talk to said that since I wear an 8D in the Madison Park on the 222 that the 8D should be fine on the 511 since the 222 is more narrow. But I guess it's my fault for not testing them longer at home before wearing them out. I do still have the other pair of 8D at home that I will test to see exactly how different they are before I send them back.

13. M2511

M2511 Senior member

You may want to measure them to see. While unlikely it is possible that they are mislabeled which would be a bit concerning because this seems to be happening with somewhat more frequence than I remember seeing not 6 months ago. Also its possible that an 8D is too short for you.

14. amphillips79

amphillips79 Senior member

The AE goat suede blazed I found on eBay came in today. Please forgive the striped thermal shirt I'm wearing but it's bitterly cold in PA today and I was too lazy to change into something more appropriate for you barnweasels! Also ignore the state of my wife's closet (she's the only one with a full length mirror). I could probably use a bit of tailoring to bring in the waist a bit a bit better fit there, but honestly not that big of a deal as it's a more casual piece in my opinion. That said, I'm thrilled with this as I snagged this for only $60 and it doesn't look like it was ever worn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Nice and your dog seems to like it as well.

1 person likes this.
  16. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I was inspired to look on ebay for AE blazers, and there is a 40R of that same blazer for $500 buy it now. Great find, sir.

17. amphillips79

amphillips79 Senior member

It's the goat. They're delicious!

18. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

The First Avenue boot is on its way out. That seems to leave a gap, but....
    Didn't Paul say earlier this year that they were bringing back the Bayfield boot?

1 person likes this.
  19. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Yes. Been waiting, and waiting, and WAITING, AND....

2 people like this.
  20. jjtitus

This might be a dumb question. Would the 4-5 digit number below the size on the tongue be the same between two of the same style of shoes or is that for like a batch number and won't match between two pairs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.