1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Hey guys. Does anyone have an idea or guess when Allen Edmonds will have their next "Extra 20% Clearance Sale" because I know they have a few a year. Thanks..

2. Deaf Gentleman

Deaf Gentleman Member

When you are a 35 years old you often don't feel like a college student in the sea of the younger college students around you. Dig what I'm saying?

1 person likes this.
  3. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Very nice, that makes me want to wear mine! I like how the brown changes as they crease.

4. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Well fiddlesticks! No good news here! I can't wear the St. John's last. I see myself begging for a pair of shell First Avenues now before they are discontinued like the Rogue was! Here today and gone tomorrow....I can't keep up! And no shell event? That means no shell Natural Strands! Total bummer!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  5. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Am I the only one who's surprised they discontinued the 1st Ave? It's such a nice-looking, classic boot.

7. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I'm very surprised. It seems (a little) dressier than the Dalton. To me, there's a big gap in the lineup without it.

2 people like this.
  8. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

And wow, they are selling out quick. There's barely any inventory left in walnut and brown.

9. DustinM

DustinM Senior member

Stopped by NR on my way home today. Amongst the sea of Broletto and CH, found a single pair of blue suede Mojave 2.0. These are 10 3E--wider than my normal 10E--but for $91 and as an unlined chukka the fit is more than acceptable :)

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. Deaf Gentleman

Deaf Gentleman Member

Agreed. It's dressier than the Dalton. No way they'd allow a big gap in the dress boots lineup without a future 1st Ave 2.0 upcoming, IMO. However, what's to improve upon the 1st Ave? Perhaps in oxblood this time to answer my prayers?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  11. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

The 809 is a bit of an odd last. But those Mojave's are very nice; similar to the MD Chukka. Found a few of them at my NR, but all in sizes WAY to small for me.

1 person likes this.
  12. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Yes, it is technically "dressier" than the Dalton with its plain stitch cap. However, it is still a blucher with exposed metal eyelets and not really the "dress boot" AE has claimed it to be. I do like its 201 last and would probably looking to snag a brown grain dainite pair if I didn't already have the plain cap toe GMTO Eagle Country.

I still think they need to remove the medallion from the Fifth Street and sub in the 201 like @JSO1 's MTO and make that their stock bal dress boot.

3 people like this.
  13. quickonthetree

quickonthetree Senior member

Well here are 2 pair of Cordovan Strands, the Walnut Unicorn and dark Brown. They need a solid care treatment this weekend and some elbow grease with buffing and brushing. I'm working on finding a pair of natural shell. I also posted a pic of the 1/4 brogue family. The custom navy Church's will be going to B. Nelson soon for a resole and to be brought back to their full glory!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

You need both! As much as I hate to say it, I would prioritize on the FA since sizes are going fast and once they're gone, they're gone for good!

1 person likes this.
  15. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Suede Strand...Friday? Couldn't wait one day for the full alliteration
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. M2511

M2511 Senior member

The Mora 2.0 is on the way out... now I have 2 on the list that are on their way out/limited time. Bourbon Cornwallis and Chili Mora.... I'd be on this if I didn't have some @TexasTexter stuff in the works....

17. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

Massdrops waiting for cheat day CFA.....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Senior member

Here is my humble AE collection.

[​IMG]

Started with of all things the Fairfax a little over a year ago on ebay. I tried to be diverse in color and style to have some versatility. I have a dress captoe,wholecuts, longwings, shortwings, slipon Venetians, balmoral, etc etc. And black calf to brown grain to Suede to brown calf etc. I work in mostly a suit without tie environment but go up and down from there.

Fifth Avenue (black) this is my formal classic. I was leaning PA but then AE had that insane $249 deal last year so I went for the Fifths. I am glad. All things considered I would have gone Exchange Place or maybe something in the Ind Collection, though that would have robbed my budget elsewhere.

Fairfax (black) is my wholecut but more modern look. I know these can be polarizing but I really like them.

Cornwallis (Bourbon) is my newest and my more formal brown shoe. While the burnishing has a "smudge" here and there, these are stunning. Really impressed with the look on these. When people call AE stodgy,they have not seen the Cornwallis yet.

Sapienza (Bourbon) is my travel shoe for when I don't get TSA prechecked. I went a half size down in these per recommendation and not sure that was necessary. All in all, I think this forgotten shoe is pretty flexible. Might get a black pair.

Players 2.0 (brown grain) with Dainite sole is another versatile entry. I replaced a pair of brown grain McNeils with these. The profile of the Players gives this shoe a more updated look than the MacNeil, which certainly sticks with the more classic gunboat style. I love the leather on these.

Strandmok (brown) is my only Strand entry. These are great for jeans. The reverse burnishing is tricky as I once polished these are started to remove more than I wanted, but I get more comments on these than any other shoe for some reason.

McGregors (snuff Suede) was my impulse buy at a Nordstrom Rack. I though I might never wear these and instead they get used a ton, even more than my Strandmoks. For a shoe I never wanted, this has been an incredible find. Love the longwing design more than the MacNeils I had which made my shoes appear stubbier.

Interstate 90 (tan) is my casual entry. These were under $100 for firsts direct from AE so not exactly expensive. But I prefer my chocolate Suede Tod's drivers or even some old Frye loafers to these. Nothing wrong with them, but nothing definitively AE with them either.

So what's next? I am eying some Chocolate Suede Cooke's that I don't need. Like the tan McTavish but not really an urgent need. I am not sure color is my thing (navy, etc). And I have never really gotten into dress boots (have cowboy boots and Doc Martens) though Bourbon Daltons are tempting (just don't think I would wear them). Love the Sea Islands but already have Suede Tod drivers so that is kind of duplicative. I am one of those who just can't find When I would wear Walnut, so I have leaned Bourbon and other brown options.

Thoughts or comments from the weasels?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Wearing the shakers today. Still need more breaking in but overall great.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Senior member

Here's a comparison of the three different AE lasts that I own. On the left is the Neumok 1.0 (65), Carlyle (108), and Hopkinson (201). All are in a 9D. Although the Carlyle is noticeably narrower and sleeker, all three fit me quite well. My foot is on the narrow side of a 9D. I suspect someone with a wider foot may want to upsize the 108.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.