1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodemia

lodemia Senior member

Am I the only one who finds shell cordovan hot and unbreathable? I have a pair of Alden 9015s from Brooks Brothers, and I really don't wear them much. They require cream maintenance after a light rain to get the spots out, they simply aren't practical on a regular basis. For all these reasons, my shell usually gets worn once a year at a business conference.

FWIW, I decided that the shoes simply weren't comfortable; my weight has dropped since I broke them in. I decided to get them rebuilt by Alden, hoping to break them in to my new foot dimensions. Maybe if they were more comfortable, I wouldn't mind putting up with them.

Maybe I got a bum deal, but mine do have to be babied, which defeats the purpose of such a durable leather.

2. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

To each his own, but I find the 1943 last to have just the right amount of chisel. I don't buy AE anymore because I don't like their leather and finishing but Cornwallis is one damn good looking shoe.
    Not to compare EG to AE, but here is EG Walcot vs Cornwallis..

[​IMG]

3. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I won't wear shell when it's in the high 90s or low 90s with high humidity. It is a less porous leather than calf. Also, I'll check the forecast to see if it's gonna be rainy out. If I get caught in the office with shell on, I'll use some rubber overshoes when I go home. I agree that the water spots are a pain to brush out.

Conversely, I really enjoy the change in the color that shell undergoes with time esp. the #8 and brown shades. They make each pair uniquely yours. Finally, they are a lot more maintenance free than calf shoes. I rarely use product on them. Maybe once a year. I will brush and buff them regularly, but just to get the dust off.

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I don't care for dressy shoes in cordovan. my she'll is all bluchers and boots. getting a few welts and some big rolls tend to reduce the elegance of oxfords, but look great in chukkas and PTBs, to my taste at least. Yeah, water spots are a pain, but they do go away in time, and again, I don't mind them on a boot or LWB. I have also found that it takes time for cordovan to break in and become soft. Especially Alden and Carmina. For some reason my Vass cordovan was really soft and pliable right off the bat. That may be because they are hand lasted, not machine lasted, so perhaps not stretched as tightly into shape. The breath ability factor hasn't really affected me one way or the other. I've heard that she'll runs hotter due to its denser pore structure, but I haven't noticed in practical experience.
    Taste is not quantifiable, obviously, and those are difficult angles to compare. All I can say is the times I've seen 1943 last shoes in person I haven't cared much for the shape. I would still choose the EP over the PA if I had to pick between the two, however. Just purely on aesthetics, though, since the 5 last gives me an excellent fit. The EP looks much more classically English, which is what you want in a shoe of this style.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    2 people like this.
  5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Thinking about picking up the Higgins Mill and curious if there are any upcoming sales/clearances/discounts. It's been a few years since I was a regular in this thread, so out of touch with the AE sale patterns nowadays.

6. manowar

manowar Senior member

Tan McTavishes arrived. Initially disappointed in striping on the leather, but it's really not noticeable from a short distance, and difficult to spot in the photos.

Based on my iPhone screen I color corrected these to give a better representation to my eye with indoor lighting.

Excuse the hiking pants I'm lounging in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compared to:
    [​IMG]

Edit: Now on my laptop my shots look far too yellowish, the leather is really more of a orangish walnut. I am a big fan.

1 person likes this.
  7. deker9

deker9 Member

[​IMG]

Disappointed again. Exchanged these twice already, supposed to be firsts and look at this. Had the same problem before with shoes. Doesn't seem they are making first quality shoes anymore when running sales and specials. Never have this problem with the full price classic designs.

8. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

So bad my seconds were much better wonder what's going on.

9. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Senior member

Snuff suede McGregors. Total impulse buy six months ago at NRack for $125ish and have found these to be awesome shoes.

[​IMG]

10. mdubya

mdubya Senior member

That is just laughable, how did it pass QC? Seems AE just does not give a single F about finishing anymore. I'll go into Nordstrom and look at their AEs and almost every single one will have a noticeable defect, whether it is bad stitching, pinking, or misaligned toe-caps, laces, etc. Such a shame because they have been coming out with great designs and collaborations but its just such a hassle returning and exchanging.

11. deker9

deker9 Member

Yeah the returning and waiting for new shipments wastes the whole season you want to wear them.

12. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

What I have been doing is dealing with a single sales person at a single shoebank and just buying seconds that pass his inspection. This has been yielding shoes that meet my expectations each and every time. I know I am getting seconds but it's better than the risk of firsts that should be 3rds.

1 person likes this.
  13. bluesuedeshoes

bluesuedeshoes Member

So I need help from the well dressed gents of SF regarding which AE shoe I must add to my collection next. This is what I have so far:

AE McAllister Dark Chili (pic attached)
    AE Troy Chestnut (pic attached)
    AE Bradley Chili (dark brown?) on its way. Not sure if I'll like them yet

Other shoes in wardrobe:
    Clarks Beeswax Leather DB
    Clarks Bushacre Suede Tan Chukkas
    Perry Ellis Brogued Cap Toe Oxfords

Having discovered the comfort of AE shoes, I find myself gravitating to wearing them exclusively from here on (another one bites the dust). Now, I am looking for a more versatile pair of shoes to help with the rotation and keep up with my professional/personal lifestyle. I work in San Francisco Tech industry and as you are perhaps aware - it is more "casual" than everyone else's casual. Think jeans, tee, Northface/Patagonia fleece with sneakers 5 days a week. Not that anything's wrong with it, its not my style anymore or rather I don't want it to be my style anymore. I have upgraded my wardrobe to chinos, brooks brothers OCBDs and few other versatile pieces in the past few months. On a personal front, more of a city guy - drinks with friends, karaoke, meetups, you get the picture.

Need advice on which AE shoes I should add to my rotation? The McAllisters can "seem" a little on the too formal side at times. I am thinking split-toes like LaSalles, Bradley, Delrays or bluchers perhaps?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. M2511

M2511 Senior member

New to clearance are Suede Strands and I recommend those. Works with Chinos and Jeans quite versatile in snuff. There are a few that have just been added to clearance that might meet your needs.

1 person likes this.
  15. quickonthetree

quickonthetree Senior member

Suede Strands are a great choice but even on clearance are still $277

I'd suggest a Strandmok or an Overlord as well. A Neumok,McTavish or an Oak Street would work too.
    You can get 2 pair off of the Shoebank for the price of the clearance Strands.

16. nhlducks35

nhlducks35 Senior member

Is there any way to buy AE shoe boxes officially? Or should I just go get some shoe containers from the Container store?

17. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Sure all of the items that have been on clearance for a long time will be very cheap on the bank. I wasn't suggesting it soley based on it being on clearance but that in combination with suede and semi brogue it gives him some versatility and variation from calf wingtip. Neumok, McTavish, Standmok, Overlord are all great options. Personally not a huge fan of the oak street but thats just me. Don't really care for the red dainite.

18. bluesuedeshoes

bluesuedeshoes Member

Thank you for suggestions. The McTavish (and Macneils) look very tempting. Looking for something that can maybe fit in casual, business casual and stylish dressed down evenings scenarios. What do you guys think about LaSalle in Chili. They are super cheap on shoebank and I've been thinking about pulling the trigger. Would they be versatile and a good pair to add to my collection?

19. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

They will send you a new box when you get a recraft. Other than that, I don't know of another way. Flannel bags come up for sale on eBay regularly, though I feel they are generally over priced.

I just keep whatever shoes I don't have boxes for on a rack.

20. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I'm a big fan of the split-toe shoes. I own the Lasalle and it's a wonderful shoe. It's very comfortable because of the poron insole. The Delray is also really nice, and slightly more formal. The Delray doesn't have the poron, but most claim it's still very comfortable. Even though both are on the same last, the fit will be slightly different because the poron insole makes the shoes feel a little more snug. The Delray will be more roomy. They both have a slender, "pointy" kind of look to them that gives them both a sleek look. I just have to warn you though that they are not casual shoes. They work fine for business casual, but I don't think I would wear either of them with jeans. You could "get away with it", but it wouldn't be my first choice.

If you can find one, I would get a chili Delray, or a dark chili Lasalle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.