Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

After applying Renomat to my walnut Sanfords on Saturday, I decided to refinish my chili McAllisters today (original chili before Bob started finishing them).

Not as much wear in the toes as the Sanfords, but they did darken a bit on the toes. Maybe it doesn't show as much on the darker leather.

Now I wait 15 minutes for the Renomat to work its magic.

Before
    [​IMG]

During (after Renomat)
    [​IMG]

2. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

The crepe sole on the Newberg really chaps my ass...would've been so much better with a different sole.

3. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I would wear the same shoes two days in a row, under one condition; if I have to go to a wake and a funeral for a family member. That is the only occasion I can think of that would require black two days in a row.

Also, I don't always match my belt exactly with my shoes. Dropping $120 per belt would severely limit my shoe budget, so I have a few that I can get as close as possible to as many pairs as I can. I read someone else here say, just recently, that it doesn't always have to be exact, though I do try to get as close as I can.

I can say that my shoes rarely, if ever, need polished.

4. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I don't expect an exact match between the belt and the shoe. This wasn't even close.

5. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

If memory serves, another SF member tamed some Rutledges with nuclear burnishing and finished with chili polish. Those look like they have minimal burnishing, so I'm wondering if this was a return from the same SF member? Not sure, but if memory serves it may have been @BackInTheJox.
    Put another way:

Chili Rutledges:
    SF recycled product,
    Return back from Jox?

6. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

An hour later...

I wiped the McAllisters down with a wet rag, then with AE's conditioning cleaner, and was hoping to end with Renovateur. However, I did not get the shine I was expecting from my walnut Sanford experience.

Two theories, 1) the conditioning cleaner kept the Renovateur from shining or 2) my chili brush doesn't have as much polish as my walnut brush.

In any case, I'm finishing with a little AE polish. The right shoe is finished, still need to brush the left shoe.

[​IMG]

7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Typically I think AE get sole choices wrong often IMHO on boots and casual...I kind of like the crepe though. I have a pair of Alden on Crepe and it is super comfortable..don't get me wrong I wish it was an RLH sole but I dont think AE is going to start using those soon.

What kind of sole were you thinking about for a casual monk? tap lug might be cool.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

8. Gumshoe

Gumshoe Member

Just a side note that after stumbling here following my first AE purchase it's quite interesting to have found/read this thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/245319/300-allen-edmonds-vs-1000-lobb-or-edward-green

Many calling AE of lesser quality? Clearly I have much to learn but they sure as heck aren't going to spoil my appreciation for these beauties.

I'm curious, how many different colors do you have (I'm sure this answer will vary)? Which are your favorite colors and why (pure aesthetics, more versatile, etc.)?

9. Gumshoe

Gumshoe Member

I wonder if it's blasphemy to rotate polish from, say, walnut to bourbon and so forth. I'm frankly still a little nervous to apply coats of walnut polish now even though I see others haven't had an issue with a little walnut-on-walnut action (this is frankly delaying my test drive because I don't want to ruin them). I have seen some photos that have grown a bit darker from years of darker polish and I admit I like the results, which is where my rotate polish question comes from. As of yet I'm not sure what kind of maintenance schedule I'm going to be on, though my guess is once every couple of weeks (never wearing two days in a row, of course), which seem to be somewhat on par with what I've read here and elsewhere.

I now have my eyes set on:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...r/SF1995.html?dwvar_SF1995_color=1994#start=2

and

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...or&prefn2=size&prefv1=Chili&prefv2=10&start=3

I know I need to pace myself but I'm not sure I can. God, I can see how this can become addicting.

10. danwatts2005

I have ten pairs in eight different colors. The only repeat color is Golden Brown CXL, and all three of those are different. My favorite is Golden Brown Rush Street.

11. danwatts2005

12. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

I really wouldn't mind seeing how the red Danite looks on the casual monk. I think it would look very cool against that chocolate or peanut color.

Everything I've read on the crepe sole indicates that it is nothing but a headache that only gets dirty and blackened and possibly disintegrates if it comes in contact with the wrong substances or chemicals. But you sound like you may have had more experience with the crepe than I have, would you say that it has been a pretty durable and easily maintained sole?..in your experience, is it true that it gets dirty and grungy exceedingly fast?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

13. Gumshoe

Gumshoe Member

Hold off on those Leiden Weaves until the next sale. I got Shreveport last year at a good discount, so I would guess these will be offered at a sale price next time around. If not, at least you can still get them regular.[/QUOTE]

What's the sale schedule like? I'm not sure what you mean by "next time around"? Did I miss something?

14. danwatts2005

I don't know exact dates, but it seems like they have something in Spring. I seem to remember having those Shreveports last year in June, because I wore them to a First Communion.

I got hooked in Jan. of 15, and that was during Clearance Sale. Then they had Spring (maybe Anniversary), then Father's Day, then RDA, then holidays. I could be a bit off, but maybe others can fill in the gaps.

15. coop23us

coop23us Member

One round of AE premium conditioner, two layers of Saphir Medaille d'Or in neutral. These will pop after two more layers, but these look good to me as is. Rogues in walnut and Fifths in chili.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.