• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Did anyone notice that all the Grey shoes have vanished from AE website? Wonder what happened>??????!!!!

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Feels like fall?! Time to pull out the Shakers! Especially since temps will be back up near 90 by the end of the week.
LL
Stop that! I still haven't gotten over the pain of missing out on these.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, now they've done it. No grey?! How the hell do they expect me to finish my Dr. Evil costume for next month? Bastards.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Marc S So as a total high arch person I can only answer based on what friends & SAs have told me. The 65 & 201 always seem to present issues due to excess volume below the vamp. A pretty knowledgeable SA swore the 1943 would be horrible. I have a close friend who seems to do well with the 809 & 511. I guess based on that, id try the 511, 809, 2321 & 1757 as a start. This sort of also depends on how wide / narrow you are.

I guess I'll also mention the 79 & 97. The 97 definitely isn't built for a high arch but the huge heel might be a problem. The 79 uses the lowest vamp of practically everything, but it also runs a little wide. So other factors at play here.

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe they brought it [the grey color] back at all. With all due respect to the gentlemen on this forum, I could never understand or appreciate the grey shoe aesthetic whatsoever. I can't imagine they sold well.

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't believe they brought it [the grey color] back at all. With all due respect to the gentlemen on this forum, I could never understand or appreciate the grey shoe aesthetic whatsoever. I can't imagine they sold well.

With all due respect ...

... I'm in complete agreement.
1f604.png

Regarding the burning shoe closet problem, if AE only and being practical I'd grab my black Hopkinsons and my brown RL x AE Sandersons (LWB). That would cover everything for work.

if not so constrained, I'd grab my Merlot GMTO Eagle Country boots and my burg Cambridges.

Newberry

Reaction score
So I emailed AE customer service asking if the Made in USA Sea Islands from Nordstrom Rack are made on the same last as the Dominican Republic Sea Islands and they responded

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

All of our Sea Islands were made in the Dominican Republic. We did not manufacture that footwear in the USA."

Kind of weird...

terras14

Reaction score
Hi can any kind soul point me to a cordovan dundee? Cannot find on their website. Many thanks

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to ask - the last time they ran all the gray styles (2009 I think?), did anyone pick up a PA or something else for firesale prices and have any success coloring it black? Would love to hear about it.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Newberry Doesn't surprise me really. Whenever I talk to customer service I feel like I get one of two wildly different extremes - either someone totally clueless or someone who knows everything in the company for decades. Never a middle ground.

The original Sea Island was kept at 299 and was made in the USA. When it didn't sell well, they unloaded the inventory to NR and re-released it made in the DR at the same price, but have had it on sale at 199 a few times. I think they said the USA made was too costly. Both are on the 555 - if you have the opportunity to get the USA version, do it - it ain't coming back.

harlequin782

Reaction score
I never dug the gray shoes either...except for maybe the gray Longbranchs that were made a couple of years ago and the gray suede Strandmoks. But Ive always been paranoid that any gray item will just look like an old, washed out, dingy black. Especially darker grays. This goes for clothing as well... gray/charcoal pants and gray suits can sometimes take on a dingy hue, also. Especially gray jogging pants. Ive just always been skeptical of wearing gray.

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never dug the gray shoes either...except for maybe the gray Longbranchs that were made a couple of years ago and the gray suede Strandmoks. But Ive always been paranoid that any gray item will just look like an old, washed out, dingy black. Especially darker grays. This goes for clothing as well... gray/charcoal pants and gray suits can sometimes take on a dingy hue, also. Especially gray jogging pants. Ive just always been skeptical of wearing gray.

Try calling it G-R-E-Y. Might make you feel better.

Newberry

Reaction score

@Newberry Doesn't surprise me really. Whenever I talk to customer service I feel like I get one of two wildly different extremes - either someone totally clueless or someone who knows everything in the company for decades. Never a middle ground.

The original Sea Island was kept at 299 and was made in the USA. When it didn't sell well, they unloaded the inventory to NR and re-released it made in the DR at the same price, but have had it on sale at 199 a few times. I think they said the USA made was too costly. Both are on the 555 - if you have the opportunity to get the USA version, do it - it ain't coming back.

Thank you Neo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads