1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

2. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

$120 million of revenue isn't a ton believe it or not. For a PE these companies are bought an sold on multiples of EBITDA. So take $120 million of revenue add in cost of sales, operating expenses you might have $20 to $40 million of earnings.

For Caleras, the strategic component in brand name, customer relationships, market penetration/ diversification etc. might be more important or it might just be about cash flows (who knows how levered or cash free AE is). We won't know, but the cool thing is that since it's a public company we will have more visibility into their financials. How separately reported AE will be under Caleras is unknown. I haven't looked to see how big Caleras is in comparion to AE.

Lastly, when a company is absorbed into a larger one like this here, a lot of back office functions will be eliminated/combined creating cost synergies that don't cut into production at first. It remains to be seen how Caleras fits AE into its list of brands, and how profitable it is in comparison (and if cost cutting needs to occur to bring AE up to par).

I will say though, the best shoe brands seem to be those driven by quality and the passion of shoemaking versus profit.

2 people like this.
  3. lordpetko

lordpetko Member

Got Higgins Mill in Brown. Awesome boot. Extremely comfortable. If I tie them tightly though, there's a bit of a discomfort at the top where the speed hooks are (or however these are called), I think because there's some metal exposed to the inside of the shoe. But it's not a big deal, I took them out today and laced tighter only at the bottom of the shoe and it was alright. Not something that would stop me from purchasing the shoe again.

Sizing wise - I'm 9.5D on Brannock, HM fits me great in 9.5D. I tried 9D, my toes were touching the front.

I went through all the reviews on AE's website and most people were saying TTS as well.

I'll wear these some more and maybe get the naturals as well, since I think they look more casual with denim.

2 people like this.
  4. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Ironic that this was a Paul G. interview from last year.

Quote: There are always products that are the relied-upon embodiments of great brands, and we had eliminated our iconic Allen Edmonds shoes in the process of an attempt at reinvention.

Prior to the turnaround, Allen Edmonds’ sales declined about 30% from 2006 – 2008 and operating profit declined by 90%. Since the turnaround strategy has been in place, the company has grown each year through the recession and recovery. The company more than doubled its revenues from 2009 to 2014, and every year since 2011 established a new sales record.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/kimberl...great-american-comeback-story/2/#18e0f3957789

I'm more hopeful that they wont blow it again, and keep a (mostly) good thing going.

5. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

I've flown first class once.

Qatar Airways, 2009, coming home (Doha to Dulles) from my first trip to Afghanistan. I can wholeheartedly confirm (with quiet longing for days gone by) that Qatar Airways knows how to do First Class. I'm probably the scruffiest ragamuffin who's ever flown first class, especially on that liner, but oh my. What a lovely time.

Will be headed to Gettysburg tomorrow for a day of "sampling" various adult beverages. Not sure what to throw on, but it's probably between the Daltons and MD Chukkas....hrm.

2 people like this.
  6. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

Well, I'm glad I built up my collection of AEs before they go down the path of Johnston & Murphy.

10 years from now we'll be talking about "vintage" AEs like we do now about vintage Florsheims. The most common question will be - "what year did they switch over to cementing and corrected grain leather, 2017 or 2018?"

[​IMG]

7. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

[​IMG]

Maiden voyage of snuff MD chukkas. Love these things.

2 people like this.
  8. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Such beauties.

9. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Maiden voyage of the Chili Daltons for Wingtip Wednesday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

As a first-generation American raised by Jamaican parents, my morning was brightened by the sight of this word.

2 people like this.
  11. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Countering the doom and gloom predictions about the future of AE with (IMHO) one of the nicest shoes they've put out recently:
    [​IMG]

Mmm...chocolatey goodness...

4 people like this.
  12. kpyeoman

kpyeoman Member

First time posting to this thread, although I follow it quite religiously. Lots of great pictures and damn good looking shoes. I always get the desire to buy a new pair of AEs when I scroll through, so last night I treated the itch by shining a pair up. I've had these Hinsdales for 6 years now and they were my first AEs. They saw pretty heavy use up until this year when I bought a few other pairs (had Park Aves as well from before), but I think they still look great. I'm amazed at how supple the leather is and how much of a luster they can still achieve. They're getting pretty close to needing a resole, however.

Pic below of the results (forgive the linty socks).

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  13. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Have some heavy lifting and likely dirty cleanup to do this afternoon after work, so I had to throw on some "beaters." Have my 20-year old RW boots as backup...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. swigginton

swigginton Well-Known Member

So today was going to be my first wingtip wed but I put it off because this morning I was getting a lot of heel rub in my BB version of McAllisters. Walking around on carpet with FA on the other foot the BB heel just wasn't held in place as well and was slipping more (almost felt like my foot sits higher, if that makes sense). Is this due to the insole? (Someone earlier stated that BBs use poron). If so will it mold to my foot or is this pretty much what it is going to feel like?

The width feels great even tho I have a 1" v-gap and I love the color and vibram sole

15. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Chocolate Daltons with some flannel - and it fits for wingtip Wednesday
    [​IMG]

Chris

5 people like this.
  16. lodemia

lodemia Senior member

Not looking at them in person, but they majority seem to be non-recraftable.

17. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

18. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

I just received a pair of Loden suede Strands from the Shoebank. They look like firsts. Fantastic color. Even my wife likes them and is glad I bought them -- imagine! And I picked them up for the nice price of $229.

I'd post a picture, but my Samsung makes it so difficult to download photos to my computer that I've given up. I hate Apple and I love my Samsung in all other respects, but this defect may force me to get an I-phone the next time around.

2 people like this.
  19. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

why not just email it to yourself from the phone, then check your email on the computer?

20. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

The sale of Allen Edmonds makes me sad. I'm fairly confident that it's the beginning of the end. Never good when a small company is picked up by a conglomerate with a very different approach to production and marketing. Yes, it's time to stock up.

It would be great if Paul G. made an appearance and was able to dispel our concerns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.