1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMAc7

CMAc7 Senior member

I own seven pairs of AE. I really am happy with them, both in quality and style, but the last three pairs of shoes I have purchased have been from Meermin (really love their balmoral boots). This purchase news really probably pushes me over the Meermin/Carmina/JFitzpatrick edge. I just can't stay on a potentially sinking ship when there are so many good options in similar price ranges.

2. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

The sleeping giant awakens. Congrats on the purchases.

3. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Pebble grain Kiowa's? Going to have to post more pictures of my black Ridgeway's as payback.

Thats about the same fit (maybe a little better) I got when I found a pair in 8D, I keep thinking I should have copped and figured out a fix. God I hate Poron insoles.

4. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

3 people like this.
  5. amphillips79

amphillips79 Senior member

I agree. The changes won't be immediate, and they could be for the better. I'm skeptical the changes will be good, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. If they screw things up I just switch brands when the time comes.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  6. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

The news made me somewhat sad. Maybe I am overthinking it, as the pragmatic part of me is Kicking in. Now we know what was up with the never ending sales, items moving to clearance only few months after introduction, clear drop in quality of material and craftsmanship, etc. I am guessing it was all done to drive up valuation.

The strong dollar has made European manufacturers very competitive for buyers in the US. 3 of my last 4 purchases have been from Europe. Surprisingly, I paid less for shoes that blow away AE in every possible way. Yes, I do prefer to buy US manufactured goods, and I take pride in that. But, AE has to deliver.

Gentlemen, whatever the future holds for AE, hold your chins up. We have all contributed out fair share over the years to help company!

1 person likes this.
  7. lodemia

lodemia Senior member

Me too, but I can get shoes that I know I like now at a decent price, so I'm taking advantage of it. If they do away with the lower profit margin items like recrafting, there's always B Nelson.

My style is rather traditional, so I don't have to follow the trends.

8. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

9. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Those are most definitely shell. Shoes that are not normally offered in shell use the calf style number. The description states they are MTO, hence the calf style number.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I worry you might be right. AE in my opinion, was already at their limit in terms of mass production and quality. For the sale price-point (and seconds), I found AE's to be the best value on the market. Sure, there are better shoes, but for the money, they deliver big time for me. I just think it's a terrible idea for the new owners to try to push this company even more in the direction of mass production. The quality will certainly diminish, and we're already seeing several problems as it is with imperfect products right now. Money is always the dark side of the force, and I fear the worst for AE's future. This is why I've always hated the extreme desire to earn at any cost. But maybe, just maybe, something good will come out of this.

11. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote from Caleres CEO: "We understand how special the Allen Edmondsbrand is to its current consumers, and we plan to take it forward in a careful and disciplined way."

Let's be patient

2 people like this.
  12. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Maybe it's all a hoax to drive up sales this Winter.

13. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

It was great while it lasted. Pun intended.

3 people like this.
  14. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Navy shell Lindrick (Nindrick!) gogogo! Or Beaumont or Weybridge...
    It may be time to move on up.

15. nhlducks35

nhlducks35 Senior member

Just paid $90 for a pair of the Massdrop chukkas in snuff from dabondo1 on ebay. They're unworn but have a small tear on the throat on the right shoe, so let's see when it gets here

[​IMG]

16. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@AllenEdmondsCEO I think some of us would like to know what's up, whenever you get a free moment. Thank you very much for whatever time you can provide.

4 people like this.
  17. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I wish there had bee more interest in the C&J Navy Shell Dundee, didn't sign up for it or the Brown Shell Dundee because I was hoping for the AE trunk show.

18. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

$255 million is actually pretty cheap considering they do over $120 million in sales a year.

And I think some of you have the wrong thoughts on how there are being bought. A publicly traded company needs a good image and good profit to its shareholders. Think quality, name, etc. For the last several years they were a private company shedding costs to turn a good profit and sell the company for a profit. I don't think they (the new company) will do much for now.

19. CMAc7

CMAc7 Senior member

As someone in the financial sector, this is precisely what worries me. Handcrafting a 20 year product doesn't maximize profits. Hence the business model being reduced to two (for now) US companies in the footwear market. The way to maximize profits is to operate under a past "luxury name" for perceived value, but make sure that they have to be replaced on an annual basis. Johnston and Murphy being the most recent example.

1 person likes this.
  20. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I was stating that AE already had a good profit, and that Caleres was buying that profit machine. Hence my statement that $255 million for the company seems really cheap.

Do you know if public companies strip down companies like this more than private equity firms like Brentwood?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.