Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Soft independence
    Chili leather wraps the feet
    I smile with new style

[​IMG]

2. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Chili Lamberts on a travel day.

Apologies for the pant hem. Had to get it let out due to some shrinkage and the old hem hasn't been washed out yet.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3. Nolaman

Nolaman Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who doesn't like the Independence Line? I have a pair of Williams in dark brown and they are my least favorite pair of AE I own. The leather is soft, but that causes it to crease a lot. Additionally, I find the double oak sole to be extremely uncomfortable. I guess I need to list them on the 'bay. 9D if anyone is interested.

4. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I love the Rutledge!
    Was Chili color standard?
    New Haikus weekly?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

5. wanderedsouth

wanderedsouth Active Member

Quote: In your photos the "Saddle" color looks lighter than in those at AE. Would you say your pictures give an accurate impression of the color of these shoes?

6. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

My Bartlett's ( 2nds) arrived from Paramus. Love the way they feel. Thanks to Alyssa on 44th street for putting up with my sizing requests with a smile. My magnifying glass perusal noticed some uneven stitching where the inside lining meets the outside calf skin, around the ankle/heel. Without the glass, I could find little else, if anything wrong with these shoes. For $330 something with no tax and free shipping, it was a no-brainer. ( I however, did take them off before retiring for the night!)

Also, light brown Saphir Creme Polish arrived today, so, I'll be working on those tiger stripes and uneven burnishing ( Bourbon Strands), following a previous poster's suggestion. Maiden voyages soon to be taken on 3 pair, once the snow finally subsides. ( Walnut Fifths, Dark Brown Patriots, and those Bartletts..all seconds!) Phew! ( I've been one of the order for 20+ years without even knowing! Perhaps I'll be Knighted!)

7. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

I'd say the photos are pretty accurate. The shoes may be just the tiniest bit darker in real life (the flash added a little light I suppose)... but it's pretty accurate. They are not a dark brown like the Snuff Dundees.

8. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Thanks. This shoe was said to be walnut, but it sure looks chili to me. Not sure if it is darkened by the previous owner or not. As for Haikus, a definite maybe. I do not write them much

9. wanderedsouth

wanderedsouth Active Member

Thanks! Would you say the AE photos make this color look darker than they actually are? I wasn't much interested upon seeing the color there but your photos changed my mind.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

10. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Maybe a little darker. I mean the problem is the AE photos are on a pure white background, which changes the relative color of the shoes.

Bottom line is my photos are accurate as to the color of the shoes.

Can always return them for free if you don't like them.

11. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@middlepP I found those Mojave at BCF also - good looking style but decided to pass. For me they were identical to the Gobi except for the sole. Same really large fit with a ton of volume. Crepe sole was very comfortable but provided little support (then again this is from mini-lug sole's biggest fan). If you have the Gobi id say the original Mojave is redundant.

12. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

Good question. I have no immediate plans to strip down the Delray but the attached pic might provide a partial answer. You can see the variation between the leather hidden by the tongue and the leather that's been exposed to the sun. I probably used conditioner on the tongues ~20% of the time.

[​IMG]

Agreed on your point of not buying dark shoes and expecting to be able to get a lighter shade. I have to like a shoe's original shade in order to buy it but I do enjoy thinking about what it could look like and guiding the development of its patina.

That is the Wendell.

13. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

Black Park Avenue for a funeral today. These have been consigned to 'wedding, funeral and interview' duty and are stored on a high shelf in my closet. Each time I reach for them I wish I had opportunity to wear them more often. I rarely wear suits anymore and even my odd jackets are on the casual side. I sometimes think of pairing them with my navy blazer but then the 'mall cop' image comes to mind.

[​IMG]

14. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Reputation bump: Unsolicited haiku. chili Rutledge .... nice.

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.