1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

"I've always had that hanging bag, it was just in the guest room closet."

Good to go. [​IMG]

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

That's where I keep my third bag!

1 person likes this.
  3. armedferret

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Hey guys. I am looking for advice. I am New Orleanian visiting NYC next week and the weather calls for snow some rain. I was planning on wearing my v tread first Ave boots and danite pebble dundees. I don't have any beater boots but did order a pair of swims.

Do you think my boots can take the NYC weather walking around and doing tourist things? Should I wear swims over them the whole time?

5. armedferret

you should be fine, just give a fresh coat of polish before you go and be sure to give them plenty of time to dry out if they get soaked. it's more the sole than the upper that causes concern from what i've seen (although i've been caught in the rain in my daltons a couple times, leather soles, and they've been fine--but i don't make a habit of wearing them deliberately knowing it's going to rain).

1 person likes this.
  6. Weathered

Weathered Active Member

Thanks! The diver is actually just a newer SKX173, so the 007 with different indices. I found that I preferred the look, but I'm now coming around to the pepsi bezels as well.

Are those pebble Dundees?

7. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Totally in love with these:
    [​IMG]

Context (it's cold, but the wind and humidity made it worse):
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I was there last week and wore my danite pebble Malverns which is essentially the dundee and they held up extremely well to quite a bit of rain. My first ave boots are dainite and I would not hesitate to break those out in worse weather.

1 person likes this.
  9. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Quote:I love the shoe. I didn't like the sole, though, and wouldn't have bought it that way, so I had them make it up with a double-oak leather sole. The leather on the upper isn't a nubuck -- it's chamois-like. There's no nap and it's oily (in a good way). Not sure how it would hold up in the rain, but I live in Los Angeles so that's not an issue for me. They are extremely comfortable and are now one of my favorite pairs of shoes. Even my wife likes them, and she's not thrilled with my penchant for shoe-buying. On another subject, last night I was further examining my new kudu Neumok 2.0s (which I've been on the fence about keeping given their family resemblance to the Thousand Oaks), and I discovered that they weren't sewn properly inside the shoe around the collar. The leather was detached and floating around. Also, the stitching was messed up on the sole. So they're seriously defective and will definitely need to be returned. I waited 6 weeks for these to be made up in my size, so this is a bummer. I'm surprised at the lack of QC, which I have not encountered with an AE first-quality before and seems especially weird for what was essentially a custom shoe. Oh well, no company is perfect. I'm sure they'll take care of it in the best way.

10. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

My AE/Massdrop chocolate chukkas next to my Alden Brown Kudu chukkas:

[​IMG]

They look so much sleeker than the Aldens, though the tow box is slightly snug because of it. Really like them so far.

1 person likes this.
  11. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

For sure the Normandy's are soft comfy boots you really can't beat the soft leather.

These will be in the rotation for many years.

[​IMG]

12. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I was secretly a bit happy for my wallet when I saw that the MD chukkas were not offered in E width but now I'm slowly dying on the inside. Every time I see another picture, it feels like a dagger to my heart. [​IMG]

13. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    PSA, for those of you who fly on United airlines and have a frequent flyer account. You can earn extra miles in the United mileage plus shopping section on the app or the website. They are currently offering 2 miles for every dollar spent with Allen Edmonds. I believe you have to go to the United website, enter the mileage plus section, search for AE and enter through that portal. After that you will be dealing with the regular AE website. And now, a picture I took at Newark before getting on my most recent United flight.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Well-Known Member

Ordered a pair of Higgins Mills on Tuesday hoping to get them by this weekend for a sporting clays event. just got the tracking info from Fedex and they only shipped today. Wont be here until Monday.

Cue sad face emoji.

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Nice! Use the back of a spoon with some leather lotion to really burnish the scratch and then brush the heck out of them - should help even more. Over time it will blend and just be patina.

16. swigginton

swigginton Well-Known Member

My negligent wife went to food lion for an entire 20 minutes and missed the fedex delivery from brooks brothers, gasp

Now I only have my new bourbon strands to hold the longing at bay. These are 9 EE and have a wider V gap than my 9 E fifth aves. My incoming BB walnut strands are in 8.5 EEE and 9 E so I wonder if these are mis-sized. Otherwise I can find no flaw for them to be seconds unless they were just clearing out inventory (before they decided to bring bourbon back). Either way I'll take the savings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One pup is too cool to show her interest, but she was sniffing the heck out of them right before this pic...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully more pics tomorrow

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    3 people like this.
  17. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Off to buy groceries in style. Don't forget, loafers need love in the winter too...
    [​IMG]

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

So these Mass Drop Chukkas suffer the same thing and only thing that annoys me about the Gobi's the inside foot the flap is not stitched up high enough thus causing that bubble out. I thought from the pictures on mass drop that would not be the case...so glad I did not buy them now...they look terrible.....you know of course unless they come out with Olive, Navy, chocolate, espresso, sand, or any other color again ...then I might be ok with it [​IMG]

Good luck with them - they look great!

1 person likes this.
  19. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

The new bourbon shoes look fantastic. Makes it tough for me to decide what I want to get next year (bourbon Strand, walnut Bartlett, or BB walnut Strand).

20. armedferret

walnut strand and liverpool, and probably oxblood (or burgundy shell if one pops on the bank in my sizing range) daltons are on the short list. plus anything else irresistible that jumps out at me. but i probably should start looking into a belt or three. I've got some relatively inexpensive ones that work with the colors i have now, but as they're basic department-store types, i don't expect a ton of life out of them, so i suppose it's time to get serious and get a few good ones that WILL last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.