1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

As I said, it's very exaggerated in the second photo; with no intervention at all it would be noticeable mostly just to me. More wondering if some enterprising weasel had cracked this nut - was thinking about something like glue or whatever you call papier-mâché adhesive (mache?), nonstick paper, and a full toe shoe tree. Since they are brogued, there's also the mesh beneath the holes. I'll hold a seance with McGuyver and report back ...

2. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I have both shoes. (They fit the same.)
    The Strand feels a little less casual to me.

3. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I don't own the suede Strands, but I do own a suede shoe on the same last. I found a pair of the navy Park Aves suede at NR a few months ago. Although I love that I found them, I became aware over time that they are not the easiest shoe to pair with my clothes. I think navy suede is a little harder to work in my wardrobe than brown or olive would be. As far as fit, they are slightly more snug at the arch than my other Park Aves, but otherwise fit consistent. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret getting them, but they made me aware that I'm probably not going to ever buy another navy suede shoe again.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  4. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

4 people like this.
  5. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

Cross post from the boot thread. Cooler temps in SoCal allowed for six days of boots :)

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  6. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

My Navy suede strands are the same as my PA in size.

7. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

Has anyone see the Massdrop for Saphir Cream Polishes and Conditioner (2-Pack)

Thoughs???

8. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Thanks gents - I think I'm good on size now, was more thinking about how often they are worn, with what, etc ...

9. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

That is helpful, thanks. Was thinking brown specifically - pair with jeans, khakis (especially blue), etc. I suspect I wouldn't wear them with business wear, but don't have any suede in the lineup and can't quite project the use. I'm worried about this exactly - not using them often, but it sounds like that is more a function of color in your situation....
    FWIW, I have plans for navy, but very specifically in shell (just waiting for the fabled trunk show), and I'm quite sure I would wear them a ton ... but I can see how blue suede would be a bit on the nose.

10. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I like suede with corduroy (pants or coat).

11. Login

Login Well-Known Member

What do you guys do in the winter for your shoes?

12. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

With shipping, you're only saving a couple of bucks. I passed last time this was up. If you're buying in volume and get discounted shipping for multiple pairs, may be worth it ...

13. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I just recently picked up some Saphir neutral cream polish. It's an amazing product. It not only brings out the best of the color, it polishes extremely well. I could get by with this product alone to shine my shoes.

14. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Navy natural leather is easier to pair in my experience, well I mean midnight navy. Casual is what I do sometimes too, but It won't work well with some of my jeans because there's just a mis-match in blues. I like it best with grey and light blue-ish khakis. Anyway, get what YOU want, I'm just giving my 2 cents. Nothing wrong with suede blue if it works for you.

15. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

I live in NYC and wear boots 95% of the time during winter. I apply thin coat of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP for water resistance and protection against salt. It alters the color slightly, but I don't mind. I rather have that than deal with wet shoes and leather that's ruined from all the road salt. All my boots are from calf/cow hide.

16. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I've used it a couple times to stock up, and I'm glad I did. Saved a few bucks on stuff I would have bought anyway. If you're not in a rush, highly recommended.

Their cream polishes are great - I got brown and neutral, plus I added a couple jars of the Renovateur. The cream polishes are very nourishing and look great. The Renovateur is better than Venetian Shoe Cream and Bick 4 in my experience, though I do own and like those other products as well.

17. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Snuff Gobi and coords for a rainy and chilly Monday. I blame these (and my milkshake Amoks) for me passing on the MD chukkas.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. sruchris

sruchris Well-Known Member

We must have similar shaped feet. I've tried every possible combination of lengths and widths and the 511 last just doesn't fit me. My pinky toe is pinched or the shoe is too long or too wide. I've had luck with the 65 last (size 10E) and widening the toe box with a shoe stretcher.

I went with a 9.5E in the Higgins Mill and it's too long by a 1/2in and a hair too wide in the heel, vamp and throat. I'm now wondering if I should return them for a 9E or a 9.5D.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  19. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Going down a whole size for the HM?! I know everyone's foot is different, but this sounds crazy to me.
    I tried 9D (~90% of my AEs; all but 1 of my 65 lasts) in the HM but thought it was short, with too much volume. Ended up going with 9.5B.

20. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

RE: the Massdrop Saphir- I'll probably get some, that's a really good price from what I've seen
    RE: suede Strands- mine are the same size as my other 5 last shoes (McA, calf Strands, etc). Speaking of suede Strands...

...cold, gray, and wet today:
    [​IMG]

And since y'all seemed to like the tweed on Friday, today is RL tweed with a Brooks wool tie:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    5 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.