1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

Only sure fire way:

Give away all your worldly possessions, move to a deserted island, live on the beach and go bare foot. The shoe equivalent of cold turkey.

But you will likely just sit back and watch the money magically fly away from your wallet.

2. misterellington

misterellington Senior Member

Went with the Chocolate Mojaves yesterday—a ridiculously comfortable shoe. Crepe sole, minimal construction and an odd attention getter.

(ON THE SUBWAY AT THE WALL STREET STATION)

GUY: Those ain't no Clarks...what are they, man?

ME: Allen Edmonds Mojave.

GUY: Well sh*t...I can't afford those...

ME: Normally yes, but I didn't pay full price for 'em.

GUY: Those are NICE.

(DOORS OPEN AT FULTON STREET AS I'M GETTING OFF THE TRAIN)

ME: Check around at the local Burlingtons—you might find a few pairs left.

GUY: Really?

(DOORS CLOSE)

[​IMG]

(“Pep” shot with a disposable cup o' Dunkin'—wanted to travel light so I left my one of my many thermoses/traveling hot cups home)

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

Yes. I kinda Shkieve a used shoe. But that doesn't mean everyone should (as I'm looking to unload a few of my own pairs) :)
    Please. For the love of all that's good and holy. DO. NOT. VISIT. The other shoe threads. Stay faaaar away from the Alden and Vass threads. If someone mentions the words "shell cordovan" to you, run with the fear of imminent plague at your back. Browsing the Meccariello thread is like looking on the face of God. You cannot return unchanged from such an ordeal. Just stick to Allen Edmonds. You'll be wealthier, and have a happier marriage.
    Great story, but a dirty subway floor negates the purpose of a PC shot. Now I DONT want coffee. And I just woke up! ;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

4. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior Member

Admittedly, and unfortunately, I'm not really qualified to answer the question of which polish to use, as I haven't experimented with any polishes other than walnut on walnut...but I've read here where others are achieving great results using bourbon, or even chili polish. My initial foray into polishing my walnut shoes went so awry (by my standards) that since then, I have resigned to just using neutral polishes on my walnut and Bourbon shoes. However I will say that my misfortune may have something to do with me applying multiple coats of walnut polish over the course of my polishings...I've seen it written that if you stick to the minimal application of walnut polish during maintenence the results are alot more palatable and alot less dramatic. So that may work..Unfortunately for me it's too late...the fate of my walnut shoes is sealed..but you may still have hope.

I'm also not the best qualified to answer questions of style/color coordination, but I will only say that my walnut shoes have always gone great with sand/stone colored chino pants as well as olive. Many here will advise you against wearing walnut with navy but I think it looks great...especially with navy denim.

5. 3lilnags

3lilnags Active Member

Did you find the heel area with the exposed fold uncomfortable? I have the same pair and live the look but that part right in the middle of the back of the show where the suede is folded into itself felt weird. I have used a layer of moleskin over it, wondering if someone smarter had a better fix.

6. patliean1

patliean1 Distinguished Member

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

This one is for @Neo1, because I know how much he loves this pair:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coffee is sadly consumed already. :(

8. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Distinguished Member

I have not treated them with anything yet though I think I will hit them with some Bick 4 soon. If buying firsts the just order several pair and return the ones that don't work...with AE'S quality control I don't feel bad about doing it. I do the same for seconds and just eat the return fee...my feeling is a 15 fedex fee over the life of the shoes is worth it to get a decent pair.

My overlords went back because they were not contrast stitched and that was the appeal for me.

9. Neo1

Neo1 Distinguished Member

@peppercorn78 Way to make a guy feel guilty [​IMG]. What can I say, all your stuff is gorgeous. Made me break down and pick up a pair of shell Adams finally, after saying forever I thought shell wasn't worth the money. Those dundees though are above and beyond.

10. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Distinguished Member

@middlepP
     if you wear casual often they are great...really like slippers...Wearing these today which the Shaker used to be my most comfortable boot but the Normandy has replaced it.

[​IMG]

11. middlepP

middlepP Distinguished Member

Looking good, Gent! Not sure why these never really popped up on my radar. What are your impressions of the crepe sole? I like their shape more than my Gobis, which I always felt were a little blobby. The lighter welt and stitching helps too!

12. jcman311

jcman311 Distinguished Member

Tiger striping on shoe on the right.

[​IMG]

13. jcman311

jcman311 Distinguished Member

Was going through some pics on the phone last night and came upon this one from last year about this time when I was at the factory shoe bank. Man I need to go back. So many boxes.

[​IMG]

14. middlepP

middlepP Distinguished Member

@Kahuna75 , after a long break-in of a stubborn footbed hump, my Shakers are pretty comfy. I actually went in to my local store yesterday and tried on the Normandy (and the Cornwallis). The pair I tried on had hardly any of the sanding. I as very impressed with the leather. The SM told me they may come out with non-D width starting in the fall. If I were to buy it now, I'd go with my "current" 5-last size. But I'd be very interested in trying some non-D widths.

Interesting, and possibly alarming, tidbit from my visit. The SM said I was basically a 9.25 'D and a half' (which I've known) - but that my ball to foot was more like a 10-10.25. Eeeeeeek! He thought 9.5C or even 10B might be worth trying. Kind of ironic because I visited the store when it first opened. Had the new SA measure me (I thought 9D, SA thought 8.5 or 9E), tried on a few new styles and ordered in a few sizes they didn't have stocked. When I tried on the new sizes, I just couldn't find one that fit well - and kept mentioning it felt like there was a hump under the ball of my foot (said that about MANY I've tried on). The SM came over to assist, and judging by the fit of the various sizes, said 9D was probably best, though they would have too much volume. He didn't say anything about why they didn't feel good under the ball. I'm wondering now if it's because I need something longer? **And for the record, this is different than the random lumpy footbed issue I've had with my Shakers and other AEs.

I have been fitted by 2 others at different AE store and also worked with Earl at Leeds to narrow in my size on a handful of different models. All came to the conclusion that I am a 9D in most lasts and that due to my foot shape volume will be an issue in many shoes. In effort to control volume I've dropped down in some (Gobi 8.5D, Rogue 8.5E, Kirkwood/Maritime 9B) - but never gone up and narrower. Funny, I mentioned the Shakers - one of only 3 I have in 9.5 and they are one of the best fits now that they broke in completely.

Unfortunately, the store didn't have any non-D sizes for me to try on. The 9D Normandy had too much volume, but the leather was soooooooo soft it didn't pinch and looked like it would crease nicely. The 9.5D felt way too wide. FWIW, the Cornwallis fit best in 9.5D (again, no non-D widths in my sizes). Since I wasn't super interested in the Cornwallis (reserved for a 2nds sale/closeout pickup) and the Normandy doesn't some in non-D widths we didn't pursue other models/fits.

Again, eeeeeeeeek! Has me wondering how many of my close to 30 AEs could fit a lot better in a slightly different size?

15. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Bourbon break-in continues... Heel slip squeaks slowly fading as v-tap on cheap carpet squeaks slowly increasing..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.