• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc S

Reaction score

As others have correctly stated, your feet are pronated because of the collapsing arch that causes your flat feet. This is causing most of the fit issues for the shoes and the excessive weight on the inside of each foot. See the handy illustration below. Before chasing different shoes, I would seek out a good podiatrist (DPM) in your area for an evaluation. It is likely they will wish to address the foot arch issue to see if the pronation can be corrected. Left untreated, the loss of the arch and pronation can lead to other foot issues such as plantar fascitis and more. Once this is addressed, you can revisit the shoe issue as you well may have to find shoes that allow for the insertion of a corrective orthotic. At this time I believe the only AE shoe that is deeper to accommodate an orthotic is the Ashton built on the 678 last. You may also need to visit the Benton that is built on the same 678 last.
Thank you sir. Lots of things I didn't know there. I am crying some true barnweasel tears right now, as I want to make the Strands work for sure...haha. Hopefully, some insoles will at least help with the appearance and not be too big. We shall see. Thanks! To everyone.

Marc S

Reaction score
And, I'm definitely going to look into a podiatrist. I have never really had any foot pain so have never considered going. Now I know!

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And, I'm definitely going to look into a podiatrist. I have never really had any foot pain so have never considered going. Now I know!

We're all built differently. It may not cause any problems. I wouldn't get too worried about it unless it starts to cause problems.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to get some opinions on this. Been looking a little more seriously at the Neumok 2.0 and am trying to decide between three of them - black, orange or red. These were my pros & cons - I definitely felt that the black was the best (this was my initial reaction). I love the contrast stitching and I think the kudu is awesome. At the same time, I felt like they looked remarkably similar to the Overlord, not to mention the fact that (as ace13x pointed out) - there is also a similarity to the black McTavish. I have a brown Overlord & a black McTavish, I love both a lot and very rarely wear either of them. I just can't work them into my rotation. Plus given the choice, I'd take the Overlord's sole over this any day of the week. The orange I think is really nice, but it looks too much like a walnut McAllister. If I wanted a walnut McAllister, I'd just get that. But I think it would pair really easily. Finally the red - I own the original in red. This one just looks kind of weird to me - like they started with the McAllister but tried to dress it down. I don't like the dark contrast stitching (as opposed to the light stitching on the black pair) - it doesn't stand out at all, but at the same time the welt is extremely light. I'm wondering how this will look - I'm concerned they will look too casual for dress but too dressy for casual if you get what I mean.

Let me know what you guys think - not looking for "get them all" or things like that - I'm between one or none at all so far.

Marc S

Reaction score
FYI via Reddit - the RDA sale should begin on October 7th, and apparently Fifth Avenues will be among those on sale for $245.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm without feeling slippery for the heel? Other AE shoes fits me fine with 7 D

Whoa...someone else in this size range. Very few of us.

Did you try the old I-90 or the new one? The old one was somewhat narrower than the new one but if I recall they felt about the same in length. Not a fan at all of AE's drivers - I think they could do a lot better than what they have. Ask me whatever you need - I currently own the Grand Cayman, I-80 & Ventura. Of course if you happen to own the Guidare I totally take that offer back.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to get some opinions on this. Been looking a little more seriously at the Neumok 2.0 and am trying to decide between three of them - black, orange or red. These were my pros & cons - I definitely felt that the black was the best (this was my initial reaction). I love the contrast stitching and I think the kudu is awesome. At the same time, I felt like they looked remarkably similar to the Overlord, not to mention the fact that (as ace13x pointed out) - there is also a similarity to the black McTavish. I have a brown Overlord & a black McTavish, I love both a lot and very rarely wear either of them. I just can't work them into my rotation. Plus given the choice, I'd take the Overlord's sole over this any day of the week. The orange I think is really nice, but it looks too much like a walnut McAllister. If I wanted a walnut McAllister, I'd just get that. But I think it would pair really easily. Finally the red - I own the original in red. This one just looks kind of weird to me - like they started with the McAllister but tried to dress it down. I don't like the dark contrast stitching (as opposed to the light stitching on the black pair) - it doesn't stand out at all, but at the same time the welt is extremely light. I'm wondering how this will look - I'm concerned they will look too casual for dress but too dressy for casual if you get what I mean.

Let me know what you guys think - not looking for "get them all" or things like that - I'm between one or none at all so far.

I went for the red. It's just different and to me rare.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everything except the black and brown look sort of gimmicky to me. Maybe it's how shiny they are. I'm much more of a fan of the original model. Since you have the black McTavish, I'd say you're good to go.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I may lose my weasel card for this, but my opinion is: Get NONE.

You already have two better options in the black McT and original red Neumok, and the walnut McA is better made than the orange Neumok 2.0. Maybe bourbon is not your thing, but if you could find a really nice example of a McA in bourbon, I'd take that over ANY of the Neumok 2.0s.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The journey to finding the right fit in AE can be an extremely frustrating and self loathing endeavor. For me, I always wore a size 12-13 in athletic shoes since I was in the 8th grade. As I got older and started to become a lot more picky in what I wore and how it fit, I ventured into this dress shoe thing that is now my favorite hobby. My first few shoes were from Cole Haan and To Boot New York, but as I invested more money into shoes I was less satisfied with unnatural creasing and poor fit.

My first pair of AEs were 11 Ds that I thought fit for the longest time, but began to not fit (I put on about 15-20 lbs after my wedding 2 years ago and my foot lengthened some) in the area of my pinky toes as my foot flattened out. I got remeasured and for the first time learned hat I actually had narrow feet and my pronation issue was exacerbated by wearing shoes that were too wide my entire life. Basically, since the arch of the shoe didn't meet the arch of my foot, I had no support and my foot slouched causing my ankles to pronate in like yours do. Once I got properly fitted with narrow fit shoes, my life changed forever and it has actually helped my posture and ankle pronation issues. I also focus a lot more to walk so that I don't pronate anymore.

AE will act like they never swap out shoes that have been worn, but they will if you insist that it was there fault for not fitting you properly. They should be the experts, but I find that I know more about lasts and fit than they do.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you want to get a Neumok, get the Alcorn Hillfire from Nordstrom. $199 and the shoe is awesome and fits like a slipper.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My vote is for the blue Neumok 1.0, but I know you're not a big fan of blue and navy.
smile.gif

Speaking of, so excited I can finally wear my Neumok-ish shoes tomorrow. Been ill the last few days. But damn the fool who put the W stickers on the insole.
baldy[1].gif

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My vote is for the blue Neumok 1.0, but I know you're not a big fan of blue and navy.
smile.gif

Speaking of, so excited I can finally wear my Neumok-ish shoes tomorrow. Been ill the last few days. But damn the fool who put the W stickers on the insole.
baldy[1].gif

Logos on the outsole, stickers on the insole. I get that being OCD is part of who we are and why we are here, but this stuff seems a bit extreme.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wanted to get some opinions on this.  Been looking a little more seriously at the Neumok 2.0 and am trying to decide between three of them - black, orange or red.  These were my pros & cons - I definitely felt that the black was the best (this was my initial reaction).  I love the contrast stitching and I think the kudu is awesome.  At the same time, I felt like they looked remarkably similar to the Overlord, not to mention the fact that (as ace13x pointed out) - there is also a similarity to the black McTavish.  I have a brown Overlord & a black McTavish, I love both a lot and very rarely wear either of them.  I just can't work them into my rotation.  Plus given the choice, I'd take the Overlord's sole over this any day of the week.  The orange I think is really nice, but it looks too much like a walnut McAllister.  If I wanted a walnut McAllister, I'd just get that.  But I think it would pair really easily.  Finally the red - I own the original in red.  This one just looks kind of weird to me - like they started with the McAllister but tried to dress it down.  I don't like the dark contrast stitching (as opposed to the light stitching on the black pair) - it doesn't stand out at all, but at the same time the welt is extremely light.  I'm wondering how this will look - I'm concerned they will look too casual for dress but too dressy for casual if you get what I mean.

I think that you already know the answer. Are you holding out hope that a FBW will talk you into one of those?
I agree with all of your points. (I really wish that I had picked up the original red Neumok.)
Sorry, but I cannot be the FBW in this case.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that you already know the answer. Are you holding out hope that a FBW will talk you into one of those?
I agree with all of your points. (I really wish that I had picked up the original red Neumok.)
Sorry, but I cannot be the FBW in this case.

Here the 3 with the 65 last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads