1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Threeputt

Threeputt Active Member

Delete::D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  2. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

I called my SA at the original Shoe Bank, Chris Van Linda, and he's having the tan grain MacNeils made up in my size (6.5E in the 97 last). There's an additional $40 charge because it's out of their weird size range for this release, but at $250 it's still a good buy. I'd recommend calling someone directly if you are interested in the shoe.

1 person likes this.
  3. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Black Carlyle hands down. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a Chelsea boot to a formal occasion.

1 person likes this.
  4. masterguns

masterguns Member

Well, I'm not master shoe polisher, but I can tell you about my limited experience with my oxbloods. I read somewhere in another thread that alternating between burgundy/merlot/oxblood and black polish/cream (~3:1) will keep that deep look. I can attest that having both creams and applying them strategically works. If I want a bit of depth, I'll use some black. Feel like "reddening" it up a little bit? Use some of the color matched cream. You may be surprised at how the black cream does not turn the shoe black. I know I was a little hesitant at first. I found that using the black pretty much just gave the oxblood color a bit more depth. I had a few lighter spots on the boot, so just worked in some black cream and it started to match nicely. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not, but it does in my mind :)

As for the dainite, I have them on my walnut Daltons and think they work well. Maybe a little more casual than the leather soles, though. More importantly, I'm not sure if you can get that sole on the oxblood. Last I saw, dainite was only available on the walnut and black Dalton. I may be off, though.

5. jeep364

jeep364 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. Are you using any kind of wax over the polish/cream coats? Or just letting them dry and hitting with some solid brushing. Certainly looks like you have the technique down!

You are correct, only black and walnut with danite. But they will do +$40 special order for danite and even do a weird size run. I have 7E in long branch and will likely go 7 EE in the Daltons, seem like they fit a bit tighter. 25% of mil discount doesn't hurt. I had to talk myself out of (my first) cordovan dalton.

6. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Thank you to whomever bought the last BB McAllister in 8 E on Ebay. Now I can stop thinking about it.

7. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

@jeep364

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

1. I would go with the AE Oxblood polish (lightly), then the black carnauba wax as you see fit. Venetian, Bicks 4 or, Lexol as needed to condition; probably once or twice a year depending on weather. Others would certainly know better on this question, but thats my plan.

2. Should be fine, I wouldn't worry too much about crocking since the color is fairly dark and if that happens its going to be on the shaft which is not seen. Its not like they're suede or rough out.

3. Well there is Burgundy Shell. Bourbon is good too, but you said you weren't fond of the Walnut and they're in the same ballpark.

9. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Just my opinion, but I would try the 7E first (if you haven't already) before you place an un-returnable order. If there is any difference between the LB and the Dalton (I take the same size), I don't think it will be a whole widths worth.

10. jeep364

jeep364 Active Member

Don't tell anyone but I have a dalton coming in the mail in 7e that will be going back soon after it is tried on. Granted its with a leather sole, but should be the same as danite.

1 person likes this.
  11. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Not to worry, I think that many of us order and return several pairs of firsts to figure out what fits correctly. If AE wants to reduce inventory costs at B&M stores they will have to live with some increased shipping costs. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

I couldn't stand on the sidelines. Ended up ordering the blue Neumok (how could I not for $100?) and two more pairs from other makers?

1 person likes this.
  13. masterguns

masterguns Member

I haven't used any wax polish yet, though at some point I might do that on the toe area. Just cream and a good buffing does them up nicely.

As for sizing, I tend to agree with your plan. I run a 12D in Long Branch, and have 12D oxblood Dalton and 11.5E walnut Dalton. I like the fit of the 11.5E a little better, though there is a significant difference in looks when comparing the width of the two. I was surprised how much sleeker the D looks. Much better for a suit. The E toe box is much roomier, and you therefore wider. It looks right at home with a pair of khakis or jeans.

14. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

The range of $199 boots that AE offered in the BF sale was pretty impressive, especially for newer weasels coming into AE. The whole work boot concept had been missing imo before the HM, but the HM covers that category well, and I'd bet will roll out in a variety of material options in coming months/years.

Before the Higgins Mill, I was always looking for work boots from AE, so made a pair of Plain Toe Sturgis without any perforations (or the AE logo) in Bob's chili calf.

Even though they are calf, as work boots they have not been polished, just wet wiped/cleaned, conditioned/brushed. These were made on the 511 last in size 15, which along with Bob's chili, were never offered in the Sturgis.

I like these Sturgis, but, would not have spent MTO $ on them if the HM was in the lineup. Point is, the MTO program filled some gaps, but as time passes, AE seems to also fill those gaps, just maybe not all at one time. :)

[​IMG]

*irrelevant side note; these are the boots I was wearing when I fell down a steep hill and broke my leg on 12-4-2015

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Irrelevant? Clearly you didn't consult with a products liability attorney! Strict liability, and those lug soles failed to serve their intended purpose, adding on defect damages too! I'd say your pain and suffering is worth at least 15 pair of shell, no SMU fees.

2 people like this.
  16. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

After the fall (about 25' of tumble), I finished/limped through the training lesson and then helped an employee load a 225lb machine into his truck.

The Sturgis kept my broken-ankle-junk securely in place as I attempted to ruin my gait for life. ((((boots))))

However, if you'll still represent me despite my admission of ineptness, give AE a call and we will share the bounty. Uh, 75, 25?

1 person likes this.
  17. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

The Holiday Barn Weasel salutes you
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

YaY!!!

19. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

You're all terrible enablers!

I had a box with four pairs to return that I was going to wait for the credits to make new purchases but now; I'm ordering more from the sale and not returning the box just in case any of the new ones need to be returned. It's a vicious cycle and when I finally do return it I'll inevitably buy more (shell dalton) because, hey I have a credit I may as well spend it.

I'm renovating the front entryway and redoing the closet after several years of working on my wife to agree it's necessary; my sole motivation (which I'll only admit here) is to take advantage of the height to add more shoe storage out of sight/reach of the wife and kids.

20. jeep364

jeep364 Active Member

Sometimes I certainly wish I had narrower feet, but too much running with wide toe boxes and forefoot strikes will do that to you. I'll never be able to pull off the ultra long and narrow shoes. I have a couple pairs of running shoes I rotate right now in 8.5 2E and 8.0 4E from different makes, though sizing is anything but consistent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.