1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

I pulled just the trigger on the McTavish. I'll post how they look and describe the leather when I get them. However, that will be a wait as they're being specially crafted in my out-of-range size.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'd be surprised if they didn't go well with most chinos. They'll look outstanding with jeans. I'm lucky that my company has been shifting from business casual to casual for most folks, though it has led me to spend a lot of money on shoes... [​IMG]

They seem pretty variable. I've seen some with a lot of color on the toe and some with none. I'd guess they look pretty good after a couple years of wear and care.

3. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Any thoughts about the Kirkwood? Does anyone know whether the outsole is sewn on or glued on? The photo on the AE website shows a channel, but I can't tell whether there's actually any threading in there or if it's purely cosmetic.

4. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Heading out to do a little thrifting on a beautiful day with the suede MacNeils. On another note, I finally grew tired of combing through old AE catalogs to find style numbers and the leathers used so I am reviewing them all and recording every shoe, style and leather in a spreadsheet. I am over 200 in the first three catalogs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    5 people like this.
  5. AdironDoc

AdironDoc Member

I hear a lot about the quality of earlier AE compared to recent. I was dropping off a load of clothes to a local charity shop two days back. While in their shop, a pair of shoes in the junk caught my eye. I'm a sucker for brogue wing-tips. Grabbed this pair of (oxblood?) McAllisters for $2 and have had the pleasure of wearing them for the last two days. So much more comfortable than my own AE's bought last year. Of course they're beyond broken in. Like a pair of slippers. I'm glad I found a color that I didn't have. While at the AE outlet store yesterday (looking for some Daltons on sale) the salesmen asked how old my shoes were. I said, "I'm not sure, this is the first time I'm wearing them" and explained the circumstances. The senior associate looked at the logo placement and design and said they were probably from the mid 1990's, and because of a change in their design, they may not be re-soleable. He said he doubted they are oxblood. Any idea on the likely age? Is this pair from the days of better quality? Someone used a marker and put numbers on the bottoms. Not sure why. Anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

What is the style number in the inside of the shoe?

7. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'll say this again:

Paul - if you're reading, I'll come take natural-light photos of shoes for airfare, food and a modest AE Gift Card. Shoes like the McTavish in the new leather are really hard to understand in the product photography.

2 people like this.
  8. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I have an 18-page PDF that is the old AE Shoe care reference that has a goodly chunk of info and models already. If you don't have it, PM me.

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Thanks for the offer, but I already have it and I found too many gaps in the information. That's why I am going for it all. :satisfied:

10. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I figured you might, and of course it would mainly be a copy/paste place to start.

I'm looking forward to your completed project :)

11. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Well, since I'll be sitting out this BF sale, gotta appreciate what I've got. Spent some quality time with 4 of my favorites.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  12. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

13. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

You just need a full license for Acrobat (our someone who does) - that would probably reduce the key-whacking a bit. Let me know if I can help.

14. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Off topic, but what do people think about Rancourt -- both as to quality and service?

15. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I've got two pairs of shell pinch penny loafers from Rancourt and absolutely love them. I'm told their leather soles wear out quickly, but I have a big enough rotation that it really isn't a concern of mine at the moment.

16. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

^
    Although the price is steep, the shell pinch pennies look amazing. Do they fit TTS?

17. AdironDoc

AdironDoc Member

[​IMG]
    I see that the 6275 is the McAllister in burgundy polished cobbler. Built on a combination last. 4416 I suppose may be the last. But wonder if there's a way to date the shoe based on the 5 digit number on top. If these really were made in the mid 90's, it means that these 20 year old AEs are in as good a shape as those I've bought in the last two years. Not bad.

18. gooter

gooter Senior member

Does anyone have any real life pictures of the "grey leather" that the Saukville boot uses? Doesn't have to be the actual boot, but I'm wondering what the grey looks like generally. Its hard to tell from their professional photos. I

19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Here's mctavish in grey distressed.

[​IMG]

20. gooter

gooter Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.