1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gm928

gm928 Senior member

No problem. I do like the look of the suede, but the only way I'd consider getting these is if they end up on clearance for less than $150, at which point the inferior sole becomes negotiable.

1 person likes this.
  2. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    OK, big sad face for me on the BF sale. [​IMG]Nothing there that will fit or that I would care to get. Still waiting to pull the trigger on blue shell MacNeils if they mythical unicorn trunk show ever materializes. I feel like it is Brigadoon and allegedly appears occasionally from the mist. But if it ever does, blue shell with natural edge and brass eyelets added.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  3. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

All things concidered the sale is underwhelming I wish they had lowered the price of the Normandy I would have pulled the trigger.

Maybe the McTavish or the Cronmok could be a good casual shoe but they go much lower on the shoebank.

They have a McTavish now (granted not the same color) for $147 over $50 savings (true second vs first).

The have a blue Cronmok for $159 a $40 savings over the sale (but yes second vs first).

4. M2511

M2511 Senior member

This was something that could be done when they opened it up for Oconnors that sadly didn't apply to everyone. Still they will not do the brass eyelets...

5. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@007Bond Not too sure about the cronmok, huh? Maybe 6-8 months ago they were $97-117 for 1sts. Maybe your buddy Mr. Sweeney could ship you a pair at that price [​IMG]

Sorry, I'm in a really cranky mood.

6. Mugen Power

Mugen Power Member

What are everyone's thoughts on the Higgins Mill vs the Saukville? I bought a pair of HM in brown when they had them on sale for $199 but haven't worn them yet. Now, I see these Saukvilles for the same price and am considering replacing the brown HM with either the brogue or brown suede. I'd be wearing them both in the same capacity (work/play) and would probably end up wearing them for ~5 days out of the week year-round. That being said, one of the things I'd have to consider is the Chromexcel of the HM vs the suede of the Saukville in wet/snowy conditions. Thoughts?

7. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Underwhelmed by the Black Friday sale. There may be some good choices in boots, but for a short guy who lives in Los Angeles anything higher than a chukka is useless.

The tan McTavish looks like it's made from a different leather than the old ones were -- the same leather they use for the tan Strandmok, maybe. If so, I'll pass.

There doesn't appear to be an olive McTavish, at least not yet. The tan Buckstrand looks exactly like the tan Strandmok; even the sole is red -- and the red Vibram isn't that different in appearance from the red Dainite. The Teak color is interesting, but I can't see a whole lot of difference from the tan Strandmok there, either.

There are some Loden Strands on special markdown at the Shoebank ($229). I'll probably pull the trigger on those.

8. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

My collection is mostly done, so the odd options in this sale appealed a bit to me, for the potential material variations that I do not have-

So essentially, I wanted something in Loden suede. And The Saukville fits me well. I have so many boots, rotate them honestly, so have no wear issues with the softer gumlite.

Despite the size 12 limit on the website, they took my order for a size 15d with a 6 week expected delivery. Fine by me.

Also considered the grey Saukville. I want something in grey leather for denim and such, but hard to spring for a third Sauk boot.

Wore last years russet Sauk Drives today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

If the Walton was offered in any kind of brown, I would have already pulled the trigger. Excellent price, but I don't need more black shoes.

Oh, and the Badlands is a shoe I wish I would have bought instead of the Wilbert. Can't justify both of them, but the Badlands would be much better for slim feet people like myself.

I'm hoping they have another 2nds flash sale during the week. Bartlett will probably be my focus if this happens.

In the meantime, suede PA Friday, and, with no profila binding.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. Marc S

Marc S Well-Known Member

Gents...a happy moment to cure the BF sale blues (which I have as well!)

Just checked and there are some significant sale prices going on at the Shoebank. For instance, the Carlyle and Warwick are both $195, Strands and Park Ave's are $229, etc...

1 person likes this.
  11. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

Yes that is the price they should be selling for...

Hmm I could ask him but not sure where it would get shipped from with those computer errors and glitches that cause shoes in your hand to somehow get shipped out of a warehouse in another state :)

12. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I too am underwhelmed by the BF offerings. For those considering the McT - I don't think they are the Horween Dublin leather that was previously used. Swear the grey Sauk is just the old grey LBs, minus the red laces, with crappier leather... or the old ones that didn't sell at BCF. I am slightly tempted by the suede version, but would prefer the cleaner look of a leather sole. That's a pass. Was excited to add a 2nd Higgins in brown, but don't see it.

13. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

This could be the new thing: First coffee, then watches, now gloves [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Forget who mentioned the shipment issue from CAC instead of SA they worked with. I had a similar thing happen. Speak with SA at random outlet. He "overlooks" two shoes for me and says they look great. Gets my info, enters credit card info, then asks if his colleague can call me right back to verify info since they were swamped. Someone calls me back a few minutes latter and gets addy/card info again. On arrival I realize one shoe came from CAC (cxl boats, so imperfections didn't really matter) and the other from a completely different store (where the second guy who re-collected my info actually worked). Two different charges to my account. The original SA definitely deceived me.

1 person likes this.
  15. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Speaking of... what are everyone's thoughts on leather being drastically disconnected from the lining. The shaft lining and leather of the 5th street boots I referenced above (2nds) can be separated in the middle like they are a ziplock bag. Any long term concerns? Thoughts on how they will hold up over time?

Pretty shoes, but nothing like the black shell MTO that has me super shellous!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

It was me.

Sounds crazy for sure you should at the very least be told who is doing what and where what you are buying is coming from. I many times get hand written notes and follow up emails asking me if all arrived ok and is there anything else they could help me. Some of the sale ppl are quite good and let you know everything and seems others just want the sale anyway they can get it.

17. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Bleeckers on their last leg these days. Still great work travel shoes due to their versatility! Wish they didn't have the puckering issue or else I would have them recrafted.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

A 'pleasure doing business with you, let me know if you need anything' email was actually what first made me notice the different store location.

19. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

The only possibility I could think of is that the salesperson wanted to buy them for themselves or a friend. I've never had anything like this happen to me, but I've mostly dealt with the Ohio store for seconds.

20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

What puckering issue? If you mean the excess leather over the instep, then I think it's a common chukka problem for those with low insteps: [​IMG]
    FTFY. Coffee FTW [​IMG] Apologies for non AE content...

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.