1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

the last thing you should be worrying about in a work boot is creasing...fit and comfort is all that matters.

5 people like this.
  2. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

I'd like to give 5 rep points for that comment, but only allowed one. With fit and comfort in place, then you want to rough a work boot up a bit.

3. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Holy shiz, you tear off a chunk of your heel walking 18 holes (stupid friends with push carts) and take some time off a shoe site so you can regain a sense of control on your wallet, and lo and behold there's 25 pages to catch up on. I still have 10 pages to go, so if you need me, I'll be back on Thursday I believe...

3 people like this.
  4. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

That's what you get for going sockless in AE golf shoes! Oh well, free oxblood polish.

3 people like this.
  5. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    PSA: In post-election shoe news, New Balance, who makes their shoes in the US, quickly became the first major sportswear company to publicly back U.S. president-elect Donald Trump. In a statement issued to the Wall Street Journal the Boston-based company's VP of public affairs explained New Balance's position. They tweeted, "The Obama admin turned a deaf ear to us & frankly w/ Pres-Elect Trump we feel things are going to move in the right direction." The statement can no doubt be traced back to his opposition to the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a trade deal that New Balance has long been against because of the threats it poses to U.S. footwear production.

NBs position has caused some people to burn or dispose of their NB shoes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The thought then occurred to me that Allen Edmonds and Alden still make their shoes in the US and these companies may also have been against the Trans-Pacific Partnership. This may motivate owners of AE and Alden to burn or destroy their shoes as well. This can be a personally painful process and I am volunteering myself to receive any unwanted AE or Alden shoes from forum members for, uh, "disposal". (Especially those who wear 11 EEE) Just send me a PM and I will arrange to take your entire collection off your hands. Yep, that's the kind of guy I am. Always a giver, giver, giver and never a taker. Operators are standing by.

4 people like this.
  6. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

This is why it is so dumb for a company to publicly state their political support for a candidate. I don't care you who companies support, just don't go blabbing about it publicly. I'm glad that AE and Alden know better than to do something like this. Also, I hate politics. /rant

7. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Politics aside, the 993 ("fratbalances") are the one shoe I've ever considered buying multiple pairs of to keep in storage for when my current pair wears out- you can pry my 993's from my cold dead hands lol

8. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

That's a lot of lost soles burning!

1 person likes this.
  9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Paul G is very outspoken in AE's bipartisanship and neutrality. I hope this thread will continue to follow that example.

3 people like this.
  10. macher

macher Well-Known Member

Thanks for your suggestion! I'm now wearing a pair of brand spanking new Beckman's!

I got sized on the machine and was sized at an 8 1/2. The rep suggested an 8. So I tried on an 8 and they were lose. The fit was OK the ball was lined up good with the widest part but too much room on my instepI asked about an orthodic and he put me back on the machine and suggested a certain orthodic. He said it will help fill the boot out. Once I tried them in with the orthodic felt like a totally different boot. Tight fitting but not too tight closer to snug. Had a hell of a time putting them on because of the small opening. Man they felt good but uncomfortable but not painful. Rep said that's normal until they break in. He said they'll stretch somewhat in the ball area. I was concerned that they'll stretch too much and he said there's a 30 guarantee and you can bring them back and exchange. I said they'll be al beat up, he said you can basically blow them out and we'll honor the exchange.

Been wearing them for a couple of hours. And they hurt but not too bad. Not painful hurt if that makes sense.

Got the 9011 Black Cherry for on sale $200. They have the commando 1/2 sole oil resistant lug. The orthodic was $60.

VERY Happy!! Thanks Neo1!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  11. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Good stuff! Is said sale ongoing?

12. macher

macher Well-Known Member

Only what they have left in 9011.

13. ny3pcg

ny3pcg Well-Known Member

Any suggestions for an additional pair of dress shoes to wear with a suit? I am changing positions at work and will be required to wear a suit four or five times a week.

I currently have the following:
    Walnut strands
    Dark chili Mcallisters
    Crockett and jones audley black captoe
    Crockett and jones audley dark brown captoe

Would an oxblood Mcallister be too similar to the dark chili?

14. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Umm.... I think it might be a bit redundant, yes. What about a Cornwallis or Carlyle?

15. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

You know a little cleaning and better lighting and it really makes a difference.

Here is a pair of walnut Sanfords I picked up on eBay for $40 with solid heels and soles.

On the basement shoe bench just out of the box with laces removed.

[​IMG]

Now out today for an afternoon walk in the sun and cleaned and polished with some heel dressing.

[​IMG]

Really they came up nice. I only wore them today but seems the 7 last is a little tight in the toe box for me nearing the end of the day.

With seamless socks I think that could solve the toe area issue since that seemed to be the issue mostly.

But only paid $40 so I think if I do decide to sell them I can get my money back anyways.

But goes to show you that just a little cleaning and proper lighting and a nice setting can make your item look so much better.

I seen one guy (hope it was no one on this fourm) on eBay selling a pair of AE Park Ave. They were dirty with some light mud, on a old board sitting on saw horses, overgrown grass all around, empty cans a bottles all over, this was his background for shoes he wanted to sell for $195... I was thinking are you serious.

16. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

You have lot of options. I would suggest maybe...

-merlot Hopkinson
    -brown Fifth Ave
    -Oxblood Carlyle
    -brown Park Ave
    -merlot Jefferson 2.0
    -brown Exchange Place

17. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Brown or chill Cornwallis or oxblood Yorktown, even though it's a blucher it looks outstanding,

Lately I have been wearing more CJ to work. There are couple of sellers on ebay with CJs for a good price.

18. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Amen, +1.

Not that I feel my friend Peppercorn78 is being critical of me. Just in case it needs to be said, my post was in no way a political statement in either direction on the election. It was about shoes and a tongue in cheek opportunity to beg for the donation of a guy's shoe collection before they burn them should that be their desire. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@macher Love hearing stories like this. This is why I continue to stick around tho forum, I love when I can help out and make a difference.

1 person likes this.
  20. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Quote:I would go with an Oxblood Strand. Love the color, and the Strand would allow you to mix up your toe ornamentation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.