1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

The Clark Street is an NST blucher and the Oak Street is a captoe balmoral. Those seem totally different-looking to me. Only the natty CXL (IMO, great) and the red Dainite sole (IMO, not so great) are the same.

2. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. macher

macher Well-Known Member

When I tried the Higgins Mill in a size 8D it was too big. The sales person assured me that a 7 1/2D would be a perfect fit. The Normandy in a size 8D fit me like a glove a literally felt like a pair of slippers.

Was interested in Alden Indy's but the local shoe store doesn't stock 7 1/2 -8. Not sure what width I would need in the Indy.

I really like the fit of the Normandy but like the looks of the Higgins Mill.

Like I said I'm looking for a very casual work rugged looking boot. I've worn USA made 'bonafied' work boots in the past as casual / weekend boots but they become too heavy when doing a lot of walking. Took my Carolina 309's to Europe last year and they became heavy after a while. The like of the Carolina 309 are bonafied work boots that are heavy.

4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@macher No one wears less than a size 8, what's wrong with you [​IMG]

5. macher

macher Well-Known Member

What can I say. The 8D in the Higgins Mill was too big. The Normandy size 8 was like wearing a pair of slippers. Felt like I could run on them.

If the Normandy came stock with a vibram sole or the like I would have probably bought them. Looking for an all weather type sole. Not that I'm going to trek in the snow and pouring rain.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  6. macher

macher Well-Known Member

When I got measured at the AE on the Braddock I was 8 1/2 heal to ball and between a C and D width, closer to D. She said the heal to ball measurement is better than heal to toe because your ball should match where the flex point / widest part is on the boot. Makes sense.

Was never able to get a good fit in boots. Probably because I always thought my size was my size and did the thumb thing for the room in the toe box to end of boot. My boots never broke in good with good creases.

7. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@TexasTexter That's the disappointing thing - positively not, nothing I couldn't live without. This would be my recommendation -

1) Freiburg's back, it sounded like a different color. Boy was the russet sloppily constructed Las year. 199 if you have to own it, but seems steep considering the quality.

2) Mctavish at 199 also seems high, but it is a damn good shoe. People seemed super excited over the olive, I find that color difficult to work with.

3) The Saukville seems weird - winter style, heavy, lug sole, but loden suede & 201 last? I don't know.

4) The Sutter Mill seems like a steal if you didn't get in on the higgins mill at 250 during the intro.

5) I know there is little interest, but as a loafer guy, I would pass on the urbino - they are very nice, but are not built to last at all.

6) I also recommend against the bates/bar harbor at 199. Even sub-100, these are not AEs finest hour.

7) Others at 199 included the buckstrand, voyager, Kenwood, Lexington, badlands, and cronmok - hard to get excited over any of that stuff either.

Hope that helps - [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@macher I measure as a 7.5C but almost always go for 7D. For what you are describing, I would recommend the RW Beckman. I went with 7D, and added an orthotic. The break-in probably rivaled Gandalf fighting the balrog but they're pretty comfortable now. They aren't narrow, but definitely not overly wide either.

9. macher

macher Well-Known Member

How do you go about ordering an orthodic?

10. macher

macher Well-Known Member

Thanks there's a RW Store in Philly. Are the Beckman's heavy meaning would I be able to walk the streets of Paris comfortably after the break in of course?

11. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I think he's talking about an aftermarket insole.
    Red Wing actually sells insoles for this that you should be able to buy at the store.
    Red Wing also offers multiple widths in some models.

12. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Thanks! I love my Cronmoks. Great boot. Very comfy. Might have to just try a few to see if it works. My McTavish had to be returned because it had a big knot in the center of the cork bed they could not fix or replace.

13. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

The Oak Street is a blucher I thought?

1 person likes this.
  14. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

15. swigginton

swigginton Well-Known Member

Looking for some help. The shoebank sale has some nice offerings but need to figure out how they fit with my current collection and which to thin out). All of the square tips are from Men's Wearhouse/Aldo sales when I was just building my wardrobe so be gentle! I gave each shoe a rating based on my personal use with some description in the front views.

Context: I'm an engineer who works for the govt. Office is rather relaxed with a mix of business casual (even on trips) and jeans/boots for guys who head out to the airfield. I wear a suit 6-10 times a year, mostly when giving large presentations. My boss is one of the best dressed and wears the nicer Cole Haan lineup, half the guys wear sneaker style shoes everyday.

The blacks:
    [​IMG]
    Left to Right:
    9/10 AE Park Aves
    6/10 JCP Brogue Blucher
    4/10 Clarks Unstructured Nubuck
    3/10 Aldo elf slipons

Front View
    [​IMG]
    AE - Just need to work on my spit shine skills.
    JC Pennys - 20 year old college shoes, rubber sole wearing thin in spots
    Clarks - Too bulbous
    Aldos - Mostly use cause they're easy to throw on and when flying

The browns:
    [​IMG]
    Back:
    9/10 Wolverine 1k Adrian Cap Brown

Left to Right:
    9/10 AE Oxblood Fifth Aves
    6/10 Rockport Split Toe Blucher Cordovan colored
    5/10 Joseph Abboud Blucher Brown
    7/10 Joseph Abboud Chili woven (to large but with thick, love the look)
    8/10 John Varvatos Camel (oversized, insole wearing out, added insole insert)
    2/10 Aldo tan elf laceups

Front View
    [​IMG]
    AE - Also want to give these a spit shine
    Rockport - Like the look but the leather is stiff (any chance they'd be real cordovan from $80 MW clearance?) so haven't given them much of a chance
    J. Abboud - Bland, boxy, rubber sole starting to peel in spots

[​IMG]
    J,Abboud - Oversized but works with thick socks, I love the weave look
    John Varvatos - Sooo comfortable, oversized but works with thick socks, the insole is wearing out in spots so added an aftermarket.
    Aldo - Wear even less than the slip ons, they fit well but with the thin sole profile make my feet look tiny

I plan to add Walnut Strands and Black Deacon wingtip boot next time they're on sale, but iIf I get another shoe in Walnut I'd just need to find a new color for my future strands. If I get black wingtips then I'd pickup the cognac deacons (which is honestly their better color).

Choices choices everywhere:
    Fifth Ave Bourbon $177
    Fifth Ave Merlot $167
    Rogue Dark Chili Burnished $157
    Rogue Walnut $157
    Mcallister Chili Burnished Clf $195
    Mcalliser Walnut $195
    Mcallister Black $195

If I pickup 1 or 2 pair here I'll have to pass on any BF offerings...

16. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

^ Given the dress code, I'd suggest the Rogue, especially in chili.

1 person likes this.
  17. bkdc

bkdc Senior member

For my funky feet, the arch position (at least on shanked shoes) and the ball position are far more important than the toes. I also noticed if the widest part of my foot matched the widest part of the shoe, I would get weird creasing. If I sized up 1/2 a length, the creases would be ideal. I think this is because of my crazy fat high volume toes. It was an expensive lesson to figure out that I was buying my shoes 1/2 a size too short as I slowly replace my shoe collection.

18. macher

macher Well-Known Member

When trying on boots or shoes how do you determine if you're going to get good creasing?

19. bkdc

bkdc Senior member

You can't. That's why I said it was an expensive lesson. One thing I will say from experience is that I am willing to pay the steep premium for Alden shoes over Allen Edmonds shoes in general. Alden shoes are far less likely to develop weird creases near the tip of the shoe. The tip is more rigid and the rigid shank also protects the rear of the shoe from minor creasing due to flex in the rear half of the shoe. I have decided not to buy AE dress shoes any more except for the rare case of MTO shell colors that are not #8 or for the incredibly comfortable Independence collection or for casual shoes.

20. macher

macher Well-Known Member

From what was told to me at the AE store was matching your ball to where the boot or shoe flexes will provide proper creasing or the best possible creasing. The rep wasn't concerned with my toe to heal size. She wanted to start with my ball to heal and wanted to make sure when I tried the boots it lined up where there boot flexes or widest part of the boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.