1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

My Christmas gift from the wife is the MD snuff chukka, she just doesn't know it yet :)

2. macher

macher Well-Known Member

I looked and couldn't find the Sutter. Is it new?

3. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Why do you say the Sutter is worse by far than the Higgins and Normandy? Lug sole sounds great for a boot, I wish my Freiburgs had one (although the tap sole makes it better for casual Fridays). And I probably would've picked up a Normandy by now if it had a lug sole.

4. bpanicola

bpanicola Senior member

Thanks for all of the replies on the McT sizing. We'll see what happens on BF. In the mean time I am wearing my two pairs of HM boots every chance I have.

5. tradbrah

tradbrah Senior member

Cognac"(though I would stay it's a "mistake" pair due to the lighter color) on this Veteran's Day. Thank you to all who have served.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

If it was a regular lug sole I would agree. But from @Neo1 's description, its the soft lug Vibram Gumite that AE uses on some shoes (especially Black Friday, and web gems). If they used the Vibram 100 or even the 430, hell yeah!

Ideally, I'd like to see something like a Dainite Ridgeway sole, but AE doesn't use those.

[​IMG]

7. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

8. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

@Lobster33 , I'd love to score a pair of back stock Rutledges. Not my size though. For new, those definitely have some try on wear...

Speaking of the bay, I came across a pair of (possibly) shell Dundees in size 14D. Worth a peak if that's your size. I'm curious about the soles?

9. macher

macher Well-Known Member

You can get the Normandy in a lug sole.

Are there any pics of the Sutter? Can't find them in their catalogue.

10. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

2 people like this.
  11. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

@ace13x, Ridgeway would be fantastic.

I suppose I could pay $40 for commando, but since it clearly should have been the stock build I object to fixing their mistake. Like the Eagle River/County.

1 person likes this.
  12. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I'm actually quite happy with leather on the Normandy, but I can see the appeal of a lug sole on it. @middlepP 's pair looks GREAT. The Higgins/Sutters too, if its a good lug sole, but I'm just not a fan of the Vibram-Gumite lug. Looks fine, performs meh. Does anyone know if you can do a sole switch during a full recraft without paying an up-charge? or for that matter can it be done at all?
    I know its already been discussed that they won't put on a Redenbach sole on non-shell.

1 person likes this.
  13. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Well, that's the reason they were discounted. But I don't think most of us here would mind picking them up for that price. If there were in my size, they'd be gone already, as I'm not too picky about small imperfections.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  14. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

No pictures yet. According to Neo1 its going to be a Black Friday special. But if you can imagine a Higgins Mill with a lug sole, you're pretty much there.

AE will generally do a custom sole for an extra $40. That typically means getting a V-Tread or Dainite sole instead of a leather sole, but it seems that getting a lug sole on a non-lugged shoe is not out of the question. But you've got to be sure of your size, because they're are no returns on customized shoes (unless there is a flaw).

15. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Thanks. Everyone was being so ambiguous today and I felt like I was the only one on the outside looking in. A brown Higgins Mill for $199? That sounds awfully tempting...

16. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

@middlepP what sole is that?

17. TexasTexter

I'm still confused too! I heard that they were bringing back a few oldies for BF but haven't confirmed it to be true. Just rumors. I am supposing Neo saw it?

18. TexasTexter

@Neo1 did you see anything you can't live without?

19. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Vibram's gumlite lug sole. Same as the Long Branch.

20. columnsofsteam

columnsofsteam Active Member

You can change the sole during recrafting for an extra $10. I know you can choose from the more commonly-offered soles (single oak, double oak, v-tread, black/red Dainite), but I don't know how many additional options there might be.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.