1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

Well I want to buy a pair but was thinking the $50 off was weak. I see both black and Brown at my local shoebank for $289 but I was thinking to ask them to match the first sale of $50 off and see if they will give them to me for $239 if they do that could be an ok deal.

I really want a pair since every comment or review states most comfortable shoe/boot the person owns.

2. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

As I have mentioned before, my McTavishes also had a bit more room inside than many of my other 65 last shoes, so I put an A-E Orthotic Insert in it, which solved the problem.

Also used the same solution to solve the same problem with a pair of Strandmoks and one of my two pairs of Strands.

It seems as if every pair of 9EEE shoes on the 65 last is a different size. Some have to be stretched, some have to have tongue pads, and some need Orthotic Inserts.

3. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Since I'm considering the Loden, I vote Loden. But I would do Snuff if I didn't already have some shoes in snuff suede. Chris

4. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

Just as an FYI, everyone's favorite eBay seller usually has some of these for sale. I was able to nab a pair from him that had been worn a few times for $100. At first, he offered a bunch with dents in the toe cap. I don't know if there's a way to fix that. Recently, his offerings have not had that issue, so it might be something AE fixed in later runs. Anyway, might be worth your time to check his selections and see if any of them work for you.

I know some people have issues with pre-worn AEs. I'm OK with a pair that looks like it's been worn maybe 5 times, tops, especially for a very casual option at 1/3 the original price point.

5. gm928

gm928 Senior member

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

[​IMG]

got my slippers off to join the fun

1 person likes this.
  7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

agree with that you will wear most...for me itbwould be loden as i have a chocolate boot and shoe and snuff gobi....snuff is probably the most versatile

8. kopo

kopo Well-Known Member

When does this start? Prices look the same to me...

9. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I agree with snuff. Also the massdrop snuff looked much lighter than AE snuff and chocolate seemed to be closer to AE brogue color. Apparently the color naming was massdrops naming convention not AEs. Despite the rarer chocolate quantity I got snuff from massdrop because I already have a couple brogue and snuff colored suedes from AE.

10. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

Yea I was hoping to find out b4 I pull the trigger on the Normandy boots.

11. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Loden or Snuff!

12. Mat Waites

Mat Waites Senior member

Snuff

13. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

Not sure who the seller is but I just checked eBay and the only pair in my size 10D is $189 + $12 shipping and look ok but not worth the price when I can get new for just over 2 bills.

As a side thought ebay charges quite a fee I wonder if there is or if we could all start some kind of shoe swap. What I mean is say there is another person here that is a 10D and has some shoes he is thinking of parting with so he list them somewhere with prices.

14. amphillips79

amphillips79 Senior member

Personally I like the chocolate.

15. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

The seller is dabondo1, and I'm guessing those are his. Make an offer to him for $99 (that's what I did, although I think he had mine listed for $169). It's not uncommon for him to take offers at right around 60% of his asking price. He may counter, but you won't know until you try.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  16. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@M2511 think your comments are right on the money. Fyi - tan is tan, NOT the grain. Doubt they'll ever bring that thing back.

17. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Someone had noticed bourbon appearing on the shoebank yesterday or the day before and now I am seeing some in my size as well and strangely not discounted at all. Very strange as I see some McAllisters I'd be very interested in but not at $299.

18. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

The new ones -

1) Saukville - a green suede long branch
    2) Sutter Mill - a dark brown Higgins with the long branch vibram. You called it ace13x!

5 people like this.
  19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

all i can tell you from having bought way way way more boots and shoes than I should...don't nickel and dime the purchase. Get the best pair you can and remember you are probably going to have these boots for a decade at least. so those few dollars are well worth being spent.

I think I went through 5 pair of Normandy to get a pair that I was happy with and spending more through AE or Ae outlet was worth it.

All of my shoe and boot regrets are when I compromised.

Now if you are getting a niche pair that may get worn a handful of times a year then sure get the best deal possible.

I have often ordered three pair of the same boot and shoe just to mix and match to get a pair I like or fit proper. I love AE however the attentian to detail is poor and often same size and style shoes fit different so having the ability to return is key.

Ok I am off my soapbox....

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Thank you to all that served

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.