Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Yup, I almost checked my monitor color cal profile after seeing how dark those looked in the pic.

Auto white balance is a wonderful thing before posting pics [​IMG].

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I love the Winhall but it doesn't love me. I sold my black pair but I would try the again in a chili pair like yours. They are rockin'.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  3. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

The color of my Rush Streets are actually pretty close to that color. I used the auto white balance.

4. Jack Roberts

Jack Roberts Member

So the oxblood McGregors came in over the weekend. Got these off Shoebank (Destin FL) for $137.

So far I would say I'm 2/2 from this outlet (other being black Strands).

Two things I've noticed with these, one you can slightly notice and another that is very hard to notice.

The right shoe has a higher contrast between toe and the part the vamp is stitched to (the apron?) whereas the left shoe has a more or less uniform coloring between the two. When you put the shoes side by side you can see the difference as shown in pics. Not too terrible though. An SF'er would perhaps notice but a casual observer would not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other is a bit of stretching where the, I guess it's the toe box leather, is stitched onto the upper. You can see in pic the brogue is stretched a bit in the middle based on the "ovaling" of the brogue - a very minor issue.

[​IMG]

Other than that these shoes are in great shape. Awesome color - extremely versatile. I can't recall the last time I broke out of the brown/black rut.

Here's the gang so far (hey, you gotta start somewhere):

[​IMG]

5. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Singleton (RL for AE) loafers for a sunny day here..

[​IMG]

6. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

Thanks to all - will get in touch with my local store again... to be fair, I didn't ask, just perused the floor stock while waiting for my SA to come in from the back. If that fails, looks like BB or Magnanni. Is the BB actually an AE product?

7. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I need these... now. How do they fit compared to the 5 last?

8. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

[​IMG]

Rogues today. These suckers are noisy but I do love them. Need to throw some conditioner on them for a couple days and let them sit.

9. Jack Roberts

Jack Roberts Member

White Plains to Paramus - that's not really that close. I think someone wanted to spend some $$$...lol.

"Hey it's close, I'll just mosey on over..."

And yea, that whole Rt 17/Rt 4 area is a zoo Mon-Sat.

10. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

11. Southwick

Southwick Senior member

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories,...

Those are beautiful. I loved the Sanford, which was made on the 97 last. From the picture, your Rogues look exactly like them. Can you note the differences between the 97 and 201 lasts, fit-wise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

Do not believe so..was in a BB store I'm Pctn, and is a smidge narrower than a Poplar AE belt.

13. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

I am almost 10.25D on Brannock, and take 10E on 65 last in strands. These loafers are 10D and fit well enough.

14. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

I've heard it called a “Military Break”or “Military Hem”—at least that's what my Dad and his friends called it. It pertained to a slightly angled hemming style where it allowed for the appearance of more length WITHOUT the excessive “stacking” of fabric at the front of the trouser while nicely covering the rear shoe-top. The angle would be let the trouser back be about a half-inch longer, but the key—at least to a “Military Break” was to avoid the stacking/bunching at the front, so the pant bottom would SLIGHTLY crease at the shoe top, if at all. (Some guys just wanted to cuff to “kiss” the shoe top as that was technically “regulation” and a pronounced break as a violation of uniform code) It was a thing they did with their dress unis to look more fashionable. My brother, a Navy Senior CPO also uses this term.

15. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I have a similar question / situation to the recent post about chili versus dark chili on some Madison Parks. I'd been wanting a pair of Steen loafers so when they went on sale recently at the Shoe Bank I scooped up a pair. They were listed as "chili" so I grabbed them. They showed up late one day, I opened them in the morning, they looked and fit fine so I wore them to work. It wasn't until later in the day that I noticed they were in fact darker than I had expected. I looked the shoe up on AE.com and in fact it doesn't look like they ever made that shoe in "chili" but only ever in "dark chili" (Bob's chili). So, even if the "new chili" is like "dark chili" I think this style is old enough that this wouldn't apply. I'm a little disappointed because I wanted chili and not (as someone else stated) a bit uninspiring dark chili (basically almost brown) color. Have you found that AE is a bit liberal on color naming? For instance, I see a Steen on AE.com and Shoe Bank right now listed as "dark brown". Is this any different as "brown" on this shoe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.