• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingrover

Reaction score
On that note does anyone know if shoprunner can be used when buying from the shoebank? It isnt like an online purchase so I'm curious if this can be done or if anyone has tried. @TexasTexter you seem to have these things delivered to you via fighter jet, do you know if this works?

They had a seconds sale in July on the main site (i.e. allenedmonds.com, not on shoebank.com) and I used Shoprunner to get my McAllister seconds. Hoping they have that again.

Last edited:

DustinM

Reaction score
10E might be your best option (unfortunate as that may be with the ShoeBank inventory), but the tricky part is if the 10D's fit well in the shaft, the 10E may be loose. My own pair are 8D (I wouldn't describe them quite as snug as you do yours), I probably would feel better about 8E, but then the top of the shaft is quite open due to just having 3 eyelets. Like you, 8.5D was width wise in the forefoot, but too long.

I would try a 10E to be sure (what are the chances a retail store has one?), but unfortunately you may be stuck with an imperfect fit, weather its 10D, 10E or 10.5D.

Thanks for the feedback. I determined the D width is not wide enough, I sent a note to the SA and maybe I can keep an eye on the shoebank for an exchange in the future.

DustinM

Reaction score
I think most of you remember me asking opinions between a Banana Republic belt or Manistee belt in merlot for my Merlot McAllisters. Turns out the Manistee is a darker shade than the shoes and the BR belt actually matches better lol. Then I saw that the Manistee actually matches pretty well, and probably better, with my brown Cornwallis shoes. Do you guys think the Manistee with the Cornwallis is a good match? Because the Cornwallis doesn't have a lot of perforation like the McAllister does. AE does say in their catalog that it's a good match but I want to hear what SF has to say. Thanks!

Personally I think you are overthinking this a bit. Wear which you prefer in good health & enjoy! :cheers:

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They had a seconds sale in July on the main site (i.e. allenedmonds.com, not on shoebank.com) and I used Shoprunner to get my McAllister seconds. Hoping they have that again.

Yes, I'm more interested though in the ability to do it and possibly save the $10 to return! Not the end of the world though.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those peeps who have picked up the Higgins Mill (off the top of my head, @TexasTexter , @hohneokc , @roz77 , @bishopcraiga , @DustinM ) any thoughts to the blobbiness of the toe shape?

I hadn't noticed this in stock pics, or the first time I handled them, but the recent pics here on SF and elsewhere seems to show something less sleek than my first impression. (E.g., the toe box seems more Gobi than Freiburg, Dundee or First Ave.) Has me wondering if the Alumnus would be a sleeker option.

My HMs are still on order (trying out a couple of B widths), but I might just order the alumnus too...

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about my new blue suede Boones that I bought on clearance from the AE site. http://www.allenedmonds.com/clearance/mens-clearance/shoes/boone-plain-toe-casual-shoes/SF3108.html

These are firsts, so I would have expected them to arrive in pristine condition.

4d3e92479352994138702f2d95db32ab.jpg

2c1d52bc479bd9da18501c61fd1acbaa.jpg

Even if these were some that had been returns, I would have expected AE to at least clean up the soles. I do realize that a single wearing myself might result in the same debris .... I just didn't expect to find beach sand on shoes straight out the box.

Having said all that, they fit great and there are no scuffs or marks that I noticed on the suede itself. I'm keeping them.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

OH! HELL NO!!

Doesn't matter what was paid, I would return. Sure, some try ons or a days test fit indoors, I don't care about. These clearly have been worn. Aside from the dirt and sand, the footbed is totally started to sink-in. This was definitely careless restocking on AE's part. Frankly, its embarrassing.

At the very least, call them and tell them your not pleased.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This was definitely a screw up at the warehouse- a worn return got put back in new inventory by mistake. Contact CAC and they will apologize profusely and send you a brand pair!

Something is not right here....
I agree w/R.B.'s advice. Contact AE.
I would be interested to hear how the matter gets resolved.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If the flap is still there (looks like it), I've used Super Glue before.

Super Glue will dry out the leather and make it brittle.
Your much better of with rubber -or- all purpose cement. You can purchase either in small tubes.
Good product(s) to have in the house.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OH! HELL NO!!

Doesn't matter what was paid, I would return. Sure, some try ons or a days test fit indoors, I don't care about. These clearly have been worn. Aside from the dirt and sand, the footbed is totally started to sink-in. This was definitely careless restocking on AE's part. Frankly, its embarrassing.

At the very least, call them and tell them your not pleased.

lol, I was scratching my head trying to figure out how the hell those were "new". Looks like whoever shipped those mixed up Dabondo's address with our forum member.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those peeps who have picked up the Higgins Mill (off the top of my head, @TexasTexter
, @hohneokc
, @roz77
, @bishopcraiga
, @DustinM
) any thoughts to the blobbiness of the toe shape?

I hadn't noticed this in stock pics, or the first time I handled them, but the recent pics here on SF and elsewhere seems to show something less sleek than my first impression. (E.g., the toe box seems more Gobi than Freiburg, Dundee or First Ave.) Has me wondering if the Alumnus would be a sleeker option.

My HMs are still on order (trying out a couple of B widths), but I might just order the alumnus too...

I don't think the HM are blobby. I would describe my Odenwalds at blobby. Dundees somewhere in between. My Freiburgs are the least blobby of the 3. Here are some comparison shots

Chris

bishopcraiga

Reaction score

For those peeps who have picked up the Higgins Mill (off the top of my head, @TexasTexter , @hohneokc , @roz77 , @bishopcraiga , @DustinM ) any thoughts to the blobbiness of the toe shape?

Mine haven't arrived yet sadly. I believe they won't get shipped until the Alumnus I ordered at the same time is ready and they had a four week wait. :eek: Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the HM are blobby. I would describe my Odenwalds at blobby. Dundees somewhere in between. My Freiburgs are the least blobby of the 3. Here are some comparison shots

Chris

Thanks for the feedback and comparison shots. I am just hoping they are further away from the Gobi (or Odenwald) than I have seen in some real world photos.

I know its the perspective (and cell camera), but even the right and left above seem to have different levels of blobbiness. I can handle the right; the left could be a little too much of work boot look for my tastes.

Here's to hoping that going up in length and down in width helps the issue. Now, I just need them on my damn feet!

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and comparison shots. I am just hoping they are further away from the Gobi (or Odenwald) than I have seen in some real world photos.

I know its the perspective (and cell camera), but even the right and left above seem to have different levels of blobbiness. I can handle the right; the left could be a little too much of work boot look for my tastes.

Here's to hoping that going up in length and down in width helps the issue. Now, I just need them on my damn feet!

As a Gobi and, obviously, a Higgins Mill, owner I can say with certainty that the HM is not nearly as "blobby" as the Gobi. I think inherently any boot from AE that's not on a 65 (or similarly narrow) last is going to have some blobbiness to them. It's sort of the nature of the beast that it's going to have wider lines, as opposed to longer lines. If I had anything even closely resembling camera skills, I'd shoot a photo of them side-by-side so you could see.

FYI, I returned some new Odenwalds specifically to get the HM. In looking at them both, the HM is definitely sleeker, for lack of a better word. Not a ton, but enough to notice.

Newberry

Reaction score

As a Gobi and, obviously, a Higgins Mill, owner I can say with certainty that the HM is not nearly as "blobby" as the Gobi. I think inherently any boot from AE that's not on a 65 (or similarly narrow) last is going to have some blobbiness to them. It's sort of the nature of the beast that it's going to have wider lines, as opposed to longer lines. If I had anything even closely resembling camera skills, I'd shoot a photo of them side-by-side so you could see.

FYI, I returned some new Odenwalds specifically to get the HM. In looking at them both, the HM is definitely sleeker, for lack of a better word. Not a ton, but enough to notice. 

I agree. I too own the HM, Odenwald and Gobi and I can say that the HM is definitely sleeker than the Odenwald and Gobi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads