1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Yes it is. I had to return my McTavish a few years ago due to a big knot under the foot. They took good care of me. Excellent service.

3. amphillips79

amphillips79 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grey strands. The more I examine these though the more I think I may exchange. The left shoe has an area right behind the cap toe that's just not right in my opinion. It looks like a sloppy paintbrush mark. Thoughts on this guys?

4. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

This is just my opinion, so take it as it is, but I am somewhat disappointed with the grey color. I have to agree with others in that it does look more like faded black than grey. I wish the shoes were a little lighter in appearance. Not saying they look bad or anything, but they are not as grey as I had hoped.

5. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Mine are a light gray those others look blackish gray.

6. jjtitus

jjtitus Well-Known Member

I have a pair and a pair of Strand. My Strand are 7.5E and they are a bit too narrow. My J&M are 7.5 and they fit better and the gap closes better. But probably could have gone a width up or size up in the J&M.

7. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Hi all. This is a cross-post from the Massdrop thread, but I thought it more likely to get an answer here.

I'm very keen on a pair of the Massdrop chukkas, but I have no clue what size to buy. There isn't an AE outlet in the entire country, so I can't try some on anywhere to get an idea as to fit.

I found this sizing guide online and tried it, but I have very little faith in the results. It measured me up as a 12C, which I find very hard to believe, given that I have a wide foot. (I have little trouble accepting the size 12, just the width).

I take a UK10.5E with Crockett and Jones shoes on their 337, 341 and 348 lasts. Can anyone suggest the right sizing on the A&E 511 last?

Thanks very much.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  8. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

IMO the 511 last fits true to size. Have you ever had your foot measured on a brannock device? Can you get to a shoe store that has one (literally every shoe store should)? Perhaps others might be of more help, but my understanding is that you should go a half size up and a width down to convert from British shoes. 11 D perhaps would be your size. You're taking a pretty big gamble though. I would visit the C&J thread or search online C&J to AE sizing.

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

5 people like this.
  10. DustinM

DustinM Senior member

Success (or failure, depending on perspective). I did manage to snapchat a shoe buddy of mine. Was trying to type "crosswalk" but autocorrect couldn't help me [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

If I could issue you a hundred reputations for this post I would.

1 person likes this.
  12. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

I did, a couple of years ago during my first or second visit ever to AE. The jeans fit incredibly well, but I hadn't been wearing much denim lately.

Plus, I already thought I was nucking futs for spending $300 on shoes. I was not about to drop another $180 on jeans. :crazy:

(Note: I say that fondly as I tally 12 pairs since that fateful day 2.5 years ago)

2 people like this.
  13. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

I'd call that a success! I went to a couple local breweries last night, so that was about my speed by the time I got home lol.

1 person likes this.
  14. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Thanks for the tip. The Google search turned up "The Behavioural Biology of Chickens", amongst some more useful information from AAAC. From the reading, I'm thinking I'm probably an 11.5D but, as you say, best to get checked on a Brannock device and then consider whether to order.

15. DustinM

DustinM Senior member

Sounds like a solid evening. We were having dinner and drinking old fashioneds when we found out the place just tapped a keg of Pliny the Elder...a few of those really kicked up the volume for the evening.

16. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Make sure you research how to read one before you go. You shouldn't rely on the sales ascociate.

17. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Don't trust that paper print-out thing. I tried that and it said I was a 9.5 D -- I am actually an 8.25 C. I had the correct paper size, but something wasn't right.

I would guess that 11.5 D is your size on the 511. I am a 7 F in Loakes (feels a little wide and roomy), but I'm an 8 D or even 8.5 D on the 511. The 511 runs a little short and does not have a lot of toe room. 11 D might work, but it also could be too narrow.

18. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@Lobster33 Looks like you were right about the LaSalle....no more voyager or Ashton either, wonder what the replacements will be.

19. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Didn't realize the Ashton was the last one for the 678, so that's effectively gone. Another decision I don't understand - the Ashton / Benton might have been a little boxy or whatever but I feel like for an orthotic shoe they would have been a lot easier to fit than the 511g, not to mention they just felt overall more substantial than the road warriors. Oh well, what do I know.

20. gooter

gooter Senior member

Thinking about picking up a pair of the Long Branch boots. Any input on the dark brown vs the golden cxl? I've not had a chance to see either in person.

Secondly, I would assume the sizing is the same as the Dalton, can anyone confirm?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.