1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Personally, I don't want a lot of tension in my shoes. I think the people who are saying they run small aren't realizing that is the intended design and proper function.

I'm a 11.5/12 and my Epics are XL's - they aren't huge in the shoes - they don't put a lot of pressure at the heel and fill the vamp/toe very well.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  2. robster35

robster35 Senior member

i like the way u describe the colors. need me some oxblood!

3. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

@farkle Wow, those both look amazing!

Thank you. I do not wish to compromise these shoes in the long term, so I will not be revisiting the Parade Gloss until right before the event. Hopefully two specific instances of PG use will not compromise the leather too badly.

Thank you as well.

After a bit more brushing and finishing with a buffing cloth, I brought the shoes outside to inspect them in the sun. They look good for a trial run and I again thank the fine participants of this thread for their invaluable advice. I also shot them next to the only instance of black shell that I own to see the difference in lustre, which seemed minimal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will be researching the best way to further gloss these out before the event. A military friend suggested I run a lighter over the shoes to heat the wax, and I'll research this procedure but likely do the best I can without adding fire. :rotflmao:

Have a great evening, all!

4. gatszu

gatszu Senior member

@FaRKle those bayfields and Dundees are really fabulous!! Wear in good health, my friend!

5. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories,...

Why are you returning the black rogues? In a BC environment black rogues work with a suit or with slacks and tie. IJS .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. billikenman

billikenman Well-Known Member

Those pictures remind me why I love the black park ave. It is neither flashy nor attention-seeking, and makes no apology for it. That understated elegance makes it, for me, the quintessential American dress shoe. I think I'm gonna wear mine tomorrow.

7. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

I may end up keeping them. For the 180 I paid there's nothing close for a black less formal shoe. I just don't know how often I'll wear them as I prefer to wear brown most days and with jeans as well.

8. piyi

piyi Well-Known Member

That is a good point M365. We are not trying to stretch our shoes, just help them maintain their shape

9. joman8390

joman8390 Well-Known Member

Did I never notice, or did AE just raise all $385 shoes to $395?

10. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Yes. And boots went up $20.

11. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Has anyone had experience with calf leather not being smooth, but somewhat rough/coarse? Is this something that might go away over time? I picked up a pair of Mcgregors and I feel the roughness when I slide my fingers over the vamp and toe area. The rest of the shoe feels fine. I am a bit concerned that it may not take polish/shine well.

12. youtubs

youtubs Senior member

This is a shame, I've been looking at some first avenues or daltons for a while, but was having trouble justifying the price already.

13. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

IMO, I think you have the workplace well covered. Maybe you should consider a pair for other activities. If you can find a pair of McTavish (Cognac would be my first choice) on ShoeBank, or picking up a Dundee (perhaps in Snuff or Loden suede). I also think a McAllister in Merlot over the Black may be a bit more interesting.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Amercs

Amercs Active Member

Hey guys, so I'm looking into getting a pair of boots, would you suggest the Normandy or the Sturgis? Thanks in advance.

15. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Agreed. No one but the strictest traditionalist would have an issue with that. Down here, I see people pair beat-up loafers with formal wear. For my part, I wear my black shell Rutledges (MTO):

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.