1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. DustinM

DustinM Senior member

Most of my other AEs are 10E. I also have 2 pairs that are 10D, the result of an incorrect measurement at Nordstrom. I basically arrived at 10E at the AE store by trying on different lasts (although my dark chili Strands are not a great fit and I will likely sell them).

I knew someone would comment on that [​IMG] That's my "man cave" but hasn't gotten much attention since our daughter was born.

3. bkdc

bkdc Senior member

Same with me. The V-gaps on the Independence collection are acceptable for me, and I'm a fan of the soft leather. I wear 7.5 3E in a Hopkinson for a near perfect fit with an 'acceptable' V-gap but not perfect. However, an 8E on an Alden Hampton last gives me an amazing fit and the V-gap closes to near perfection. I own the Alden 9070, 9071, 9015, and 911 in Hampton lasts on 8E. I almost wish I'd tried the 975 Tremont last shoe in 8E size instead of 7.5E to see if the fit were better but 7.5E here works well although the V-gap is slightly bigger.

It's a pet peeve of mine, but I prefer oxfords (balmorals) to be laced using bar lacing. LOL. That picture makes me cringe.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  4. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Yes.

5. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

That's a rhetorical question of course...

6. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Trying to justify the MD chukka myself, despite owning a snuff Gobi and tan (milkshake?) Amok, with upcoming plans for a shell Dundee.

Not to mention a few other AE boots in my rotation (Bleeckers, 5th Streets, 2 Daltons, 2 1st Aves, Long Branch, Shakers, HMs, Portland... perhaps a few more I'm not thinking about).

TIA for the encouragement, despite the heavy boot rotation.

7. amphillips79

amphillips79 Senior member

Poll time!

How many pairs of AEs do you have in total?

I have 16 (unless I'm forgetting a pair or two) including the grey strands I just ordered.

8. quickonthetree

quickonthetree Senior member

What grey strands did you order? I want a pair of the charcoal ones I saw listed earlier in this thread listed as a fall release. I have not been able to find them for sale.

9. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Burgundy Cambridge on the floors of Marble House in Newport, RI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was one hell of a rehearsal dinner and afterparty.

Have a great weekend, all!

3 people like this.
  10. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    17, not that this number will hold up around here. I am not opposed to owning more, but I think I have everything that will actually fit. 6 Alden, three vintage Florsheims and one Hanover. Not a single boot or loafer in the bunch.

1 person likes this.
  11. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

14 AE's, 1 Loake. I'm kind of embarrassed, but I know there's no way I will buy 14 more in 2017. Soon to be 15 when my navy PA's arrive.

Today I wore my Clark's. Part of me really wants to get rid of this Dainite, but then the sole gives the shoe a nice look.

The smfdoc pose:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Haha yea I think that was the first thing I did in my house was hide those wires. TVs were up before the furniture came in [​IMG]

I had this point of view early on but since my collection expanded I only bar lace 5th aves, hopkinsons, rutledge, and carlyles. Once they are wingtips or semi brogues I tend to go with criss-cross lacing.

You definitely will regret not getting in on a run of 500. I have far fewer boots/chukkas and sat with this dilemma for all of 5 minutes before realizing that the question wasn't if I was getting one, it was if I can, do I get two?

13. gm928

gm928 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  14. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I have 24 not counting the Burgundy Shell Dundees that I'm still deciding on. 2 Pairs of Buday shoes coming early December as well. If that trunk show never comes to fruition I'll be looking at more Buday or some C&Js. Alden doesn't have much in shell that strikes me aside from the LWB. Maybe Tricker's will get a look.

15. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I need to step my boot game up a few notches [​IMG]

16. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Yeah, the 65 is not kind to those with short toes or large ball to heal measurements. I don't have THAT much space in front of my toes in my 65's (just a hair over one thumb), so the 511 shouldn't pose a problem for you. The only other thing I can think of is on my Dundee's the 511 is a little lower across the forefoot, but not enough to affect me.

Have you tried Harry Rosen? Or maybe a Brooks Bros. or Club Monaco?

1 person likes this.
  17. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Some unknown number over 30. I stopped counting because I thought it might hinder further acquisitions.

1 person likes this.
  18. JLC2

JLC2 Senior member

Harry Rosen only carries AE shoes from what I can tell. But, Club Monaco and Brooks Bros might be an option! I'll do some calling and see if anyone has the Dundee in stock.

Thanks!

Edit: CM nearby has a Dundee in 9D - the one and only pair!

19. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

OK well FedEx came a bit later in the day, too late to really get in a good day's wear so just gave them a spin in the house.

[​IMG]

So as the V gap goes it is much smaller on the GBM's than on the Shelton 1.0's. In fact I did not even tie the GBM's very tight and they seem a lot less stiff than the Shelton's so I think this gap will get even less after a few times out. The GBM's are on the 65 last same as my McGregor's and they are among my best fitting shoes so these should fall right into that category.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.