• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMT1

Reaction score

These shoes would also be acceptable for a black-tie event.

Do you think so? I rarely tux it up, and I'm on the fence due to the PA's cap toe, which seems to be a no-no from what I have read. But then again, it's all about how strictly one needs to adhere to the "rules," since there's no way I'm spending money on a patent leather wholecut.

I think a Carlyle second is a relatively inexpensive option that would work better with its plain toe, but given that this event requires substantial travel expenses for both the engagement party and the wedding itself (I am a groomsman), I would like to minimize costs.

I have yet to hear what style tuxedo I am going to be directed to purchase, so that factors into my budget as well.

Thanks for the help!

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with this. Given your current collection, something in Chili would be a great addition. Check out the Yorktown. If I were to add another Chili, that is what I would look at first.
Ooh, yeah, the Yorktown is a good look if the last works for you. Sexy shoe also available in Oxblood if that's your preference.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you think so? I rarely tux it up, and I'm on the fence due to the PA's cap toe, which seems to be a no-no from what I have read. But then again, it's all about how strictly one needs to adhere to the "rules," since there's no way I'm spending money on a patent leather wholecut.

I think a Carlyle second is a relatively inexpensive option that would work better with its plain toe, but given that this event requires substantial travel expenses for both the engagement party and the wedding itself (I am a groomsman), I would like to minimize costs.

I have yet to hear what style tuxedo I am going to be directed to purchase, so that factors into my budget as well.

Thanks for the help!

While I would prefer the Carlyle to the Park Avenue for this too, either would work as long as they're well polished. As little as you wear the PA, I just don't see a need for a second rarely-worn formal black shoe.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My suede Strands arrived this week, so I thought I should take a family picture.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While on the subject of formal shoes, here's a picture of my Ritz black patent leather pumps........

danwatts2005

Reaction score

My suede Strands arrived this week, so I thought I should take a family picture.

I'm really sorry I missed the boat on those. Your bourbon looks great, too!

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is the one on the far right suppose to be Olive?...it seems brighter than I remembered the Olive tone being.

The shoe on the right is the olive Rush Street. They are a little darker than they look in that picture.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey folks - so the folks that said me sticking at 6 pairs was naive were absolutely correct. Need some help picking my next 3-4 purchases. Here's what I have:

Black:
Hopkinsons

Walnut:
Madison Park wing tips
Carlyles
Rogues
First Ave Boots

Oxblood:
Daltons

Burnished Brown;
First Ave boots

I'm leaning towards the following:
Carlyle and/or Park Ave in Oxblood
Brown and/or Black Mcallister

Keep in mind my office is business casual so most days are chinos or slacks with a dress shirt and occasional tie. I'll throw on a suit a few times a month just because, which is why I only have one pair of black shoes. I've upped my cap to no more than 12 pairs due to closet space. I also have a pair of black rogues I was going return.
I would go to the shoe bank and get a bourbon or chili shoe, like a fifth ave, mcgregor or flatiron.

CMT1

Reaction score

While I would prefer the Carlyle to the Park Avenue for this too, either would work as long as they're well polished. As little as you wear the PA, I just don't see a need for a second rarely-worn formal black shoe.

Nice. I had not seen that shoe chart before, and was unaware that the cap-toe was that acceptable for black tie. Thank you, mreams99, you have absolutely helped me free resources that will be better spent elsewhere.

Roycru, those pumps look great.

Have a great remainder to your weekend, gentlemen!

NorseHorse

Reaction score

I would go to the shoe bank and get a bourbon or chili shoe, like a fifth ave, mcgregor or flatiron.

I purchased a Bourbon Strand - color is a little too greenish for me. It's going to be returned with a couple others soon.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I purchased a Bourbon Strand - color is a little too greenish for me. It's going to be returned with a couple others soon.

I LOVE my bourbon Strands. The coloring is great.
You might be able to tone down some of the greenish tint with a shoe cream that has some reddish tones to it. I have a jar of "brick" Meltonian shoe cream that comes to mind.

robster35

Reaction score
chili Madison Parks came in finally from Nordstrom. perfect fit. kinda confused tho the website said dark chili. but the box theyre in just says chili. is dark chili much different than chili?

NorseHorse

Reaction score

I LOVE my bourbon Strands. The coloring is great.
You might be able to tone down some of the greenish tint with a shoe cream that has some reddish tones to it. I have a jar of "brick" Meltonian shoe cream that comes to mind.

Yours look darker than mine. The only other problem with mine is that the V gap is much bigger on one side than the other, probably why they were seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads