1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Here's a picture (taken outside) of my Brogue Suede Strands.

[​IMG]

They are darker than my Snuff Suede Neumoks, but not as dark as any of the Chocolate Suede shoes I have seen.

If you don't keep them in a closet, they slowly get lighter.

3 people like this.
  2. gm928

gm928 Senior member

What happens if you get them wet or feed them after midnight?

3 people like this.
  3. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has had this problem. I wore my Dundee 2s way too much before I realized they were not going to get any roomier in the toe. I wear 13B in just about every AE (for better or worse) but the Dundees are just too cramped in the toe for me and I need to sell them. I've thought about trying 14B but as you said, I think that would just be way too big.

Unrelated historical AE question: was the "Borhide" leather they used to use for certain shoes like the Skos actually boar hide, or something else like just a textured cowhide?

4. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy Tuesday forum pals. Wingtips in the fall.

[​IMG]

5. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Today has been one of those days where I wish I was drinking bourbon rather than wearing it...

The ole Kennies don't get much wear these days, so I I figured it was time to give them a spin. These had some tiger striping on one shoe, but that is finally going away after many many coats of bourbon, black, and dark brown polish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

Very nice! I love that shoe, even had a pair, but on me it bowed around the ankles like crazy. I'm a bit jealous :)

Oh, good lord, how do I do a quote that doesn't show all the dang pics?

7. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I decided that I preferred the Carlyles and shipped back the Park Aves. While dropping the shoes off at the UPS, I stopped into the Arts and Crafts shop next door and found myself leaving with some beads and stretchy cord. Last night I made the two bracelets that I'm wearing on my wrist, I thought the skulls were appropriate for the Halloween spirit!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    4 people like this.
  8. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Temps in the upper forties and grey skies calls for an equally gloomy motif. Black McGregors and grey cashmere. Todd & Duncan Tuesday, if you will.

9. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

If those were my shoes, I would definitely find a way to wear them more often.

10. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

The 511 fit discussion is interesting. Any reason to adjust sizing going from the Ling Branch to the Dundee?

11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

There is a long standing belief that the Long Branch is built on the 511G....which is a slightly fuller last. I also believe that as well. So if you plan to wear your Dundee with normal or dress style sox I would consider either a half size down or a width more narrow. One thing with the 511 last for my foot for example is that a 13D fits terrific except my foot at its widest point spills over the foot bed so while it is a perfect fit snug and toe wiggle room I went up to the 13E.

As I stated earlier I also am able to wear a 12eee in the Dalton.

12. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Hmmm. I was going to say that my LBs seem longer than the Dundees I recently tried. The taper is definitely more pronounced in the Dundees. Since I already get heel slip, my solution is to go longer (and narrower) rather than down.

Take this with grain of salt, as I am still trying to determine a proper fit in the Dundee... in preparation for the trunk show. Since I deal with too much volume, and the trunk show will be "made" post-order, he suggested I have one made up with the Wilbert insole.

13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

14. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Thanks to both you and @middlepP Just so I make sure I'm tracking you correctly, you both agree the LB version of the 511 is a more generous last in length and width, but when adjusting for the Dundee, Kahuna would go a shorter length and middleP would go longer (and narrower). Do I have that right?

My LBs' in a 10.5E fit wonderfully but the Shoebank doesn't have that size in the version I want. Curious and curiouser.

15. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Correct on my part. Sounds like I'd lean 11D and @Kahuna75 might say 10EEE (not sure they make EE in the Dundee). How's that for help... :)

16. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

Not a direct answer to your question, but I am complimented on my chili Daltons at least twice as often as I am on any other pair of shoes that I own.

17. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

I thought they discontinued regular chili...Do you mean you are complimented on your Dark Chili Daltons?...if so, I was told by a sales associate that the Dark Chili Dalton is also on closeout right now and will no longer be made.

18. swigginton

swigginton Well-Known Member

Thanks in large part to this thread I caved over RDA and hit up the AE store in Orlando. SA Eddie was able to properly size me as a 9E on 65 last (Nordstrom SA put me in a 9.5 EE for my Park Aves during Anniv sale). They dont stock oxblood in store buthe got them in before I left town, so now I have some Fifth Aves. Didn't pull the trigger on one of their oxblood belts (only had Manistee or DuPont in store for $100)

Short trip to LA this week so no generic govt carpet background

[​IMG]

19. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

First pair of gunboats I have ever owned.
    They are seconds, with an obvious spot of edge dressing dye on the right side of the right shoe, but at floor to eye distances, it's tough to see.

The credit card has been put into time out and I refuse to open AE emails. 2 pairs of shoes in two weeks is enough... :happy:

1 person likes this.
  20. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Please allow me to be the first to pedantically point out that McAllisters don't qualify as gunboats, but also allow me to say, "Nice shoes!"

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.