1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southwick

Southwick Well-Known Member

Greetings, Gents. This really isn't a rhetorical question. Do Dainite soles ever wear out? When our leather soles get thin or actually get holes, it's obvious they're shot. But my Dainites show no signs of wear except a little bit of smoothing of the studs. I can't imagine ever wearing them enough to actually wear a hole in them. What's everyone think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Southwick

Southwick Well-Known Member

Same here. I got to the AE party late and missed all of those beautiful closed out Indy models. I would have jumped fast on the Adams tasseled loafers and a couple of others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Oxblood!
    [​IMG]

They issue you a new gift card and mail it to you.

5 people like this.
  4. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

Can the Lake Forest be worn with a suit? I'm missing both a loafer and an oxblood-colored shoe in my rotation. Thought I could maybe kill two birds....

5. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Well-Known Member

Oxblood! [​IMG] Daayum! That's it! I quit! I WAS done buying any more shoes this year.

1 person likes this.
  6. amphillips79

amphillips79 Senior member

[​IMG]

Participating in Maize Monday today. Get it?? Because they're CORN-wallis'... I crack myself up sometimes. :)

I just couldn't wait for Walnut Wednesday for the maiden voyage.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    5 people like this.
  7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

IMHO Oxblood and Bourbon are the two greatest Dalton colors....I know the Walnut crew will disagree but Bourbon and oxblood have that sex appeal to them...of course I have both and while neither have led to any more sex...or appeal....I stand by my statement

4 people like this.
  8. amphillips79

amphillips79 Senior member

Agreed on the suedes. Perhaps a future purchase.... Bookmarked!

9. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Does anyone know the source of "uppers are sewn in DR" regarding the welted dress shoe line models? I find tons of stuff on handswen, it's no secret, but I cannot find confirmation that it is the case with dress models. I saw it asked in an AMA but Paul didn't acknowledge the statement in his response.

10. smartie-pants

smartie-pants Well-Known Member

one of these shoes is not like the others ......

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Love this shoe rack.....What size shoe do you wear and can anything taller than a service boot fit on them? One benefit of mine was that I could eliminate 2 shelves to fit taller boots. Yours may be a nice upgrade for me down the rode

12. BL70

BL70 Senior member

any encouraging words for Dalton's tightness in the toe area? I bought a Dainite pair on clearance at the end of last season. Wore them only a handful of times, but the toe area is really uncomfortable. When I tried a half size up in the store, the heel slipped too much. Does the toe break in over time or should I unload em on ebay? I don't have a wide foot, its actually on the narrow end of a D.

13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

What size did you buy?

14. smartie-pants

smartie-pants Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Paul has said it here and also on AAAC and on past AMAs.

16. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Clicking is done in DR too, right? But at least they own the factory, I guess?

Makes Indy line and Alden seem like a better move, but then C&J is just a step beyond, and Vass, Carmina, and Enzo are so reasonable, and Nick has great deals on Lobbs...

17. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

might explain the quality issues.

18. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

I just found the thread on here where he elaborated on the subject. Thanks!

19. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

Got my Washington Squares tonight in Walnut which are on the 1943 last. I know there is always questions about the comparison of the lasts, so figured an extra post on the topic will never hurt. Especially if it helps to find this post from google searches :)

I'm a 8.5D on the 65 Last and measure a 8.5 on a brannock in between a C and D width. Zappos is matching the RDA prices, and given their free 2 days shipping both ways, I tried to experiment with a few combination of sizes and widths by ordering 3 pairs: 8.5D, 9D and 9E. Ideally I would have wanted to also get a 8.5E to try it out but Zappos was out of stock on them.

• 8.5D is definitely too small. The toe box definitely has less volume and tapers sooner than the 65 last.
    • 9E was way too wide
    • 9D was the best of the 3.

My results so far indicate that to my foot, compared to the 65 last, I had to go 1/2 size up in same width in the 1943 last.

It's possible the 9D fit so much better not because it's the right length but because it's just longer giving me more room in the toe box. So perhaps the 8.5E will give me the needed toe box room.

So I'm going to return the 8.5D and 9E, and order a 8.5E from AE.com directly so I can compare to the 9D.

(Secretly I was hoping I'd hate these shoes with jeans due to lack of broguing so I could justify buying a pair of Daltons. Unfortunately, it's not the case and I'm really liking these)

1 person likes this.
  20. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Medium brown. Similar to Snuff in terms of "darkness". Maybe a little bit darker. This is based on comparing a Brogue belt to a pair of Snuff Dundees.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.