1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Great minds think alike!

2. jeam3130

jeam3130 Well-Known Member

whats the correct edge dressing for cavanaugh in walnut and strand in walnut? i see conflicting info (some say neutral, some say chili). what about fifth avenue in oxblood?

3. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Style 5875 is listed as "Merlot burnished calf."

1 person likes this.
  4. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    It killed me that they were not my size or Peppercorn would have never seen them. A great place to post and see other vintage shoes is the Vintage shoe thread I started in July. All are invited to drop in and take a peak and see some cool older shoes. Just click here for a visit.

5. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

Which belt should I but to wear with chili Daltons? Would the "wide basic dress belt" be a good match, because it's width makes it a bit more casual?

Relatedly, is a wide basic dress belt too wide to wear with a suit? They are 35 mm -- about 1.37 inches -- while true dress belts are usually 1.25.

6. bkdc

bkdc Senior member

As long as it looks okay to you, I say it makes little difference. I have two wide Emernegildo Zegna dress belts that are 38mm which look just fine with a suit, and despite their width, I would never use them for casual use. For all around versatility, I like 31 or 32mm (1 1/4").

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

I see a pair of brand new brogue suede Strands my size on ebay for $180. Anybody know how dark the brogue suede is?

8. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Lighter than bitter chocolate, kind of a medium to light milk chocolate color. Nice.

Fullertons in brogue suede...Gobis were snuff...side by side I am color challenged to see difference.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

Limited funds to spend and I already have a pair of walnut Washington Squares on the way. I'm having a hard time avoiding the sirens song of the Daltons :)

I'm torn on color.. I will normally weird with jeans almost exclusively in business casual and casual settings. I rarely wear a suit, and with customers I"m usually in a blazer and jeans. For a full suit, I'd opt for another pair of shoes instead of making the Daltons do double duty.

I know for sure I do not want the Black daltons. Too boring, which only eliminates 1 color choice leaving oxblood, chili, chocolate and walnut. I have a pair of White's boots in their brown dress leather that are more rugged. My initial inclination was to avoid brown, but based on images I'm seeing online, the chocolate color has quite a bit of character and not as loud as the other options.

Obviously color is a personal choice, but wondering if people who have chocolate daltons ever regreted not getting another choice? Similarly for those that have Walnut Daltons, do you find them lacking in versatility due to the relative loudness of the color?

10. colco

colco Senior member

Bigger guys can probably get away with a wider belt than a smaller guy can.

11. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

Thanks a lot. I would have guessed that they are oxblood. You saved me from buying the wrong polish!

12. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

I'm under the impression that all AE belts are the same width (35mm), but maybe I'm wrong.

In any case, the AE belts that I have are 35mm. Personally I think this is too wide for a dress belt - for my body and style. I am pretty slim though, so the wider belt may be preferable for larger gents.

13. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Was a damp morning, so I went with brown grain First Aves to kick off the week. Recently hit these with some Bick 4 and then neutral wax polish on the toe/heel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

I thought the same thing but found out that the Poplar is 32mm (1.25") vs the standard 35mm (1.37") like on the Dearborn, etc.

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

bro, you're so tall that a wide dress belt is going to look visually the same as a narrow one on people of average height. wear and enjoy.

16. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Yes, an Indy style 201 Fifth Street or, better yet, an Indy Fifth Street with no toe medallion, just the punch cap. A true bal dress boot.

If the old MTO program were still around, that would be at the top of my list.

2 people like this.
  17. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Saw this on dappered.com and I haven't purchased a new pair of AE's in a while, but my meermin double monks likely needed a new sole soon and I saw this deal for 40% off AEs at Joseph Abboud (what?). Ordered myself a pair of the brown grain Moras. Some older styles on there, but it looks like free shipping/returns as well.

[​IMG]

Allen Edmonds at Joseph Abboud

2 people like this.
  18. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

For fans of A-E shoes in the wild, brown grain Kiowas on the rocks........

[​IMG]

......after lunch today, walked down to the sea on a dirt and rock trail, walked across the beach and some rocks and went back up the cliffs on another dirt and rock trail wearing my brown grain Kiowas with Vibram lug soles (very useful for walking up or down 45 degree dirt and rock trails, climbing over rocks, and fording one rather small stream).

[​IMG]

(Some Southern California members might recognize Palos Verdes and might also have walked up and down the Palos Verdes Conservancy's trails from Founder's Park to the sea.)

3 people like this.
  19. jeam3130

jeam3130 Well-Known Member

has anyone ever cancelled an order placed with a gift card? do they refund the original giftcard? or send you a new one?

20. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Hold the phone. Wow, that's pretty cool! Haven't seen a few of those before. If I wasn't already in the middle of a protracted shoe transaction right now, I might find the Bitter Chocolate Suede Rogue difficult to resist. Seems like Mr Abboud has a thing for the Danite sole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.