Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Maiden voyage of EC in navy suede and dark chili
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016

2. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

[​IMG]

Pulled out my old Westchesters this morning for church then to the ATL.

3. mc2k

mc2k Well-Known Member

Driving around in these Shannon Drive today.[​IMG] I know they don't get much love around here but hey what the...

[​IMG]

4. BL70

BL70 Senior member

Finally decided to pull trigger on walnut dalton with dainite which have been on clearance for awhile. Decided firsts with dainite at 270 outweighed seconds with leather at 300. Once they arrive will see if they are keepers. Anyone have experience with the dainite? Seems they aren't noticeable unless you're sitting with your legs crossed. Also like the idea of being able to wear them on wet sidewalks.

5. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I have two pairs with Dainite. They are comfortable, but don't get a false sense of security about walking on wet surfaces. I find them more slippery than expected.

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Agreed. They're a harder rubber, which makes them less grippy. Although they obviously won't swell up and absorb pebbles and glass shards wen wet like leather.

7. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

8. BL70

BL70 Senior member

Noticed the earlier post about polishing walnut shoes with cognac. Just curious has anyone tried polishing walnut shoes with bourbon polish?

9. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Hey folks - so the folks that said me sticking at 6 pairs was naive were absolutely correct. Need some help picking my next 3-4 purchases. Here's what I have:

Black:
    Hopkinsons

Walnut:
    Madison Park wing tips
    Carlyles
    Rogues
    First Ave Boots

Oxblood:
    Daltons

Burnished Brown;
    First Ave boots

I'm leaning towards the following:
    Carlyle and/or Park Ave in Oxblood
    Brown and/or Black Mcallister

Keep in mind my office is business casual so most days are chinos or slacks with a dress shirt and occasional tie. I'll throw on a suit a few times a month just because, which is why I only have one pair of black shoes. I've upped my cap to no more than 12 pairs due to closet space. I also have a pair of black rogues I was going return.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016

10. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Chili! Also, if you're wearing business casual, I'd go for the Fifth Ave or Strands over the Park Ave. Both look great in Chili. I also think the Strand and Carlyle are both stunning in Oxblood. Brown over black for a wingtip if you stick with the McAllister; the Merlot Jeffersons also look fantastic.

11. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Yes. I do that all the time. Looks great in my opinion. I didn't do it on purpose. Just had bourbon polish from another pair and no walnut polish. Given what everyone says here about how orange walnut polish is I won't switch.

12. LIMatt

LIMatt Well-Known Member

Yes they are. I wore them into a store today (picking up polish and trees), so I was able to do a side-by-side with the Verona IIs. The only difference I could see is the shank of the bit is thinner on the II.

I will take what you said about the soles under advisement.

13. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

While I know it limits my style choices I'm not a huge fan of the Chili and prefer Oxblood. I was thinking of adding walnut strands but not sure that's a smart addition since I already own the rogues.

14. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

I decided to hit my Park Aves with two light coats of Kiwi Parade Gloss, followed by a light spritzing of water and vigorous brushing.

I am very well aware of the controversy surrounding the silicone that Parade Gloss uses to glaze the leather, and that this can be a detrimental product to use, or at least continue to use for any amount of time, but I wanted to see for myself how much shine I could eke out with the product. I have a black tie wedding coming up, and while I am debating a pair of Carmina black shell wholecuts, I am also considering a pair of Shoebank Carlyles and running them through the Parade Gloss procedure in order to save money.

This is a pair of $50 Ebay-sourced Park Aves that I purchased simply to have a cap-toe balmoral in the closet, and that I have worn twice in the years that I have owned them. Given the circumstances (funerals), neither event was a particularly joyful occasion. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The resulting gloss and reflectivity is definitely enhanced over my best results using traditional polishes, but the Parade Gloss did smell like either Goof Off or Nevr-Dull, so some serious chemicals were likely at work. I would have no problem believing that this product is caustic to use longterm on quality leather.

These pics are from yesterday immediately following the initial polishing. I've continued to brush them sporadically and the gloss has perceptively increased. While I do not think it quite matches the hammering reflections of either black shell or patent leather, and likely due to poor technique since I've seen mirror shines result from this product in Internet photos, I do think a Carlyle that has been similarly polished would be acceptable for black tie.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend, as always. :slayer:

15. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I agree with this. Given your current collection, something in Chili would be a great addition. Check out the Yorktown. If I were to add another Chili, that is what I would look at first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.