• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Count de Monet You know, I was drafting (for a while) something to email to Paul g, trying to come up with the most polite way to put it, and now you stole my thunder. Just hope he reads your post
1f60a.png

styleaudit91

Reaction score

Very nice!  That is a great representation of similar conversations many of us on here have had.  :colgate:

Ha! She has a better eye than my GF. She thought my chili McGs were the same shoe as my bourbon strands until she saw me polishing them together...with a couple other pairs she wasn't privy too. She wouldn't care. Except she would probably appreciate some finger hardware at some point.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought one of AE's stated points of pride was its vast array of sizes + widths. When you refuse to make those available to the customer in store, you completely undercut your sales mission.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always thought one of AE's stated points of pride was its vast array of sizes + widths. When you refuse to make those available to the customer in store, you completely undercut your sales mission.

Tell it, brotha, tell it. They are intentionally negating one of their advantages over other brands, both cheaper, domestic ones, and more expensive foreign ones.

Last edited:

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What happened to Navy Shell? I want a pair of Navy Rogues in Shell.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tell it, brotha, tell it. They are intentionally negating one of their advantages over other brands, both cheaper, domestic ones, and more expensive foreign ones.

The last time I was at a retail store trying to decide what size Strand to order, they seemed to bring out a black PA for every narrow that I requested. At least the 65 is kind of covered.

What would make sense to me, is to at least have the brand new lasts available in all sizes. Doesn't have to be all the models on that particular lasts. They can just mix it up to make sure that at least one model is available in a particular size for that last.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, I've never felt very "welcomed" at this location. Very different from my Leeds and Atlanta experiences, where the associate literally would have helped me try on half the store if I wanted. Some of it is because I arrive in jeans or chinos and shoes that are more on the casual side. Probably another is I look younger than most of their clientele. Maybe my customer profile shows I mostly purchase sale items or 2nds?? It's not like I go in, try a bunch of shoes on, eat up the SAs time, take away from others receiving service, only to leave empty handed and later order online.

You would think this would change with multiple visits, showing my knowledge of the brand (without being snooty), wearing the brand every time I go in, etc. Nope. Seems I need to be in a suit with a pair of black Park Aves on. Speaking of,... I am reminded that the PA is their best selling show every time I go in there, even after telling them I am good on 65 lasted bals.
This is the third time in the last 6 months I have gone in with the plan to purchase at least one new offering, and have walked out empty handed. Usually it is because they do not have anything other than D widths. Or the manager just flat out tells me that my low arches just "don't work with that shoe." Never a recommendation on something else that would work or trying various combinations of length/width changes. I have even called in to ask if they had specific sizes or could order them in. I've always been told no, but I could come in, try things on, and then have them order something in - after I paid for it. In the past I have told them I think it is ridiculous to pay for something without trying it on first. Also, what is the point of shipping to store then? Might as well ship to my house and skip the downtown traffic/parking hassle.

I was set on the Higgins Mill, but they didn't have a 9D. Only had 9.5D in the floor model. No B widths at all, some non-D between 9.5-12. They balked at brining in other sizes, saying they had to be made and then if I didn't want them would just sit on the shelf. Plus the sale "would be over by the time they came in." I really wanted the boots, and wanted to give this guy a sale for helping me. I pushed a little further and we compromised on paying for 9.5B, with them ordering in 10B also. 2-3 weeks wait. Grrrrr.
What location was this? I think AE bigwigs check this thread regularly. I've mentioned the lack of customer service I've received at the Mebane outlet.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I saw the black Neumok 2.0 and it was remincent of my color combo on my old McT. Love it! Well done with all of these AE, just make the gray less green! The others are knockouts.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What location was this? I think AE bigwigs check this thread regularly. I've mentioned the lack of customer service I've received at the Mebane outlet.

I ordered a pair of seconds from Mebane, I had to call to remind them that they received my return a month ago and I still had no credit.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick store visit tonight - summary:

Had seen the Higgins before, looked more closely (now that I have one on order, lol). Brown and natty blend the welt nicely whereas black does not, but they look decent. Little clunkier than I thought.

No Academy or Alumnus.

Finally some Neumok 2.0s....I'm sorry, but what the ****?!!! The red neumok I thought was positively atrocious. Like they subcontracted out the mcallister to J&M and told them to slap it together for cheap. It uses a matte-finished oxblood color with dark stitching instead of contrast stitching, so the actual color is quite dull, but the welt jumps out. The shoe has a cheap look to it but it actually felt like nice quality CXL. It's really unstructured, so I'm almost certain that plus the 201 means the fit will be way too sloppy for me.

Suede Achesons look good - but I'd take a suede grayson over these anytime.

The suede strand looked better than I thought. And finally the Cascade definitely looked fine. I'm not into that style at all, but definitely better than I expected.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Rogue is discontinued.
You can't get it in any color of shell.

I'm sure he knew that, but I totally agree a navy shell rogue would be killer.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question:
If you were "volunteered" to be the speaker at a 9/11 ceremony, what shoe would you wear?
(I'm thinking that the 1776 is the wrong answer.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads