• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Strands for a Merlot Monday "Cheap Clothes, Expensive Shoes." Battling the shadows this morning.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you are on to something here. Now I'm leaning toward the black HM and natty Academy.

FWIW, received an e-mail from them today saying that since they don't sell first quality, the coupon would not apply. Seems like that even if you had the coupon, you still would need an SA that would be willing to order.

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really dig the look and style of these Portlands! They've even made me come around on non-boot NSTs. Unfortunately, these are just a little too short or narrow for my taste. I just don't reach for them enough, and today was a good reminder that these need to be sold off.

Sorry for the spam, but if anyone wants them (9D), shoot me a PM. They are seconds (no tiger striping (!!), perhaps the eyelets or maybe minor wrinkling on the shaft are what made them 2nds) with ~10 wears on them.

Last edited:

eagleman

Reaction score

While we are on the topic of purchasing AE shoes on eBay, has anyone purchased from dabondo1?  He lists hundreds of AE's.  They are all marked with "no warranty".  Some of them are new with defects others are used.  Where does he get them?  I wonder if AE sources all of their warranty returns and factory thirds quality shoes for him to sell.

I've bought 2 pair from him. Both pairs were in great shape. They appeared that they had only been worn a couple of times. Look closely at the pictures to see if any of them have any defects.

eagleman

Reaction score
Speaking of eBay......

What numbers do you look at inside the shoe that tells when they were made and the last?

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Such gorgeous color.  I see more red in merlot than oxblood.  Merlot to me is red wine, and oxblood is more purple-ish.

These definitely look different under different lighting conditions. In the shade, they do look quite purple indeed to the naked eye. I feel like the camera tends to pick up more of the red color unless the shoe is in the presence of a broad range of other colors.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The finish on my Merlot Strands seems rather fragile. I've only had these out maybe four times and already seeing a lot of scuffs. Anyone else share this experience?

Last edited:

amphillips79

Reaction score

I'm looking to expand my collection of burgundy (or burgundy-adjacent) shoes beyond the oxblood strand, to fill in the cap between my black oxfords and brown bluchers.  Would dark chili longwings be a versatile second pair in that color range?

I love the dark chili color and I think they're very versatile.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The finish on my Merlot Strands seems rather fragile. I've only had these out maybe four times and already seeing a lot of scuffs. Anyone else share this experience?

I don't own the Strand, but I can say that some shoes scuff easier than others. My Leeds shoes (both pairs) somehow get scratched more than any of my other shoes I own.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a single pair of Rutledges showing up on the Shoe Bank in what's probably half a size too large for me. I have no experience with the 333 last sizing. I also shouldn't be buying any new shoes. But those are sure some beauties. And the price is so right...

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of eBay......

What numbers do you look at inside the shoe that tells when they were made and the last?

The shoe contains multiple numbers, the most important of which is the style number. This Park Ave style number is 5875. The last number of "5" indicates the last. In this case, it is the 65 last. I do not know of any indication of when they were made.

FaRKle

Reaction score
There is a single pair of Rutledges showing up on the Shoe Bank in what's probably half a size too large for me. I have no experience with the 333 last sizing. I also shouldn't be buying any new shoes. But those are sure some beauties. And the price is so right...

333 runs long. If the marked size already looks a bit big, I wouldn't do it.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@St Hubbins No way id pull the trigger. I'd say 65 size or maybe half size down in length if anything, no way up in length.

Freeport had a 7B - I wanted it so bad I gambled on it (I'm usually 7D). Balmorals are hard on the 65, they're equal or worse on the 333, plus the B width made it way worse. Total stupid decision on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads