1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

I was just thinking the same thing! I've never seen the LaSalle in person, but, at $157, I've been tempted to give their seconds a shot. Your photos make them look less "pointy" than the stock photos Allen Edmonds uses.

I'm also considering a snuff suede Cavanaugh. From the description of the last, it seems as if they would have more room in the toe box than a similarly-sized McGraw? Also, why does the Cavanaugh cost so much less than Allen Edmonds's other loafers? They're not made in the DR. Are they made from lesser materials?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. Echoes14

Echoes14 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to decide what pair I want to pick up from the sale. Right now I have: The Harrison (Black), McAllister (Merlot), McTavish (Not sure what the official color is, but it's a dark reddish-brown), and just ordered a pair of Cavanaugh in Oxblood. I'm really leaning towards a pair of Walnut Dalton. Anything else, I'd be looking at sub-$300. Any suggestions?

3. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

I have the navy suede cavanaugh, and it's worn the least out of my AE's (I've only worn them once). Once cooler weather rolls around I'll probably wear them more often with cords, but they just seem kind of blobby to me, compared to my brown calf Cavanaughs. They also have a bit of heel slip to them, but I think that might be due to the sole needing to break in more.

That said, I'm a huge fan of the cavanaugh as a shoe. Many here don't like it because it doesn't seem to fit a lot of people, but it fits me perfectly. I bought mine after multiple failed attempts to get the Patriot to work (which is the only shoe that has not fit me, regardless of size and width).

4. orange fury

I've been considering the walnut or chili daltons- probably won't pull the trigger, but it's tempting.

5. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I finally decided to get out of the house today and was inspired to wear my sharkskin Belmonts. Majestic creatures, able to detect blood several miles away, that sends them speeding to attack with gnashing teeth. Dark, soulless eyes, without conscience or remorse as they slash to kill whatever lies ahead. I refer, of course, to tonight's "presidential" debate. Also known as "Sunday Night Springer."

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

The only thing you CAN'T change is the leather?

7. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Switched it up for tonight. Patriots (shout out to Tom Brady)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. masterguns

masterguns Member

In my case I am a 12D or 11.5E on the 65 last. My Long Branches are both 12D, though I have never tried on an 11.5E for comparison. There is certainly more volume in the Long Branch fit, but that works well for me. I tend to wear thin socks in most of my shoes/boots, so the extra volume lets me dial in the fit with inserts of various thickness. Alternatively, I could wear thicker socks (not really thick, but like athletic sock thickness) and forego the inserts altogether. So after saying all that, I'd say you'd be just about right with an 8D in the Long Branch.

1 person likes this.
  9. masterguns

masterguns Member

Seems like you could use a walnut in something, as well as a boot. Might as well kill two birds with one stone and grab the Daltons in walnut.

I, personally, have a pair of oxblood Daltons inbound. Can't wait to get them.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I think the Lasalle is a great choice if:

1. You don't mind that they are more formal and therefore less flexible.
    2. You don't mind the poron insole makes them warmer, but some people don't mind that. Out here in California, I sometimes pass on my poron shoes when it's hot.

What's interesting about the Lasalle is that it's the only 108 last shoe that slightly hurts my toes when flexed If I wear thin dress socks. Switching to slightly thicker dress socks has solved this problem. The shoe runs true to size, but the heel is slightly larger than the Carlyle, which I like.

I love my Lasalles, but I think one of the reasons I've grown to love the cap toe and plain toe design is because it is more flexible to my wardrobe. Some will disagree with me, but I just find split-toe and mock-toe designs to be more dressy.

No experience with the Cavanaugh.

1 person likes this.
  11. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Today's beautiful fall weather called for the loden Dundees. I still can't decide whether or not I prefer these to my HMs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

The entire thing didn't make much sense. I asked about MTO and if that was still going on at all and he went on about changing soles and size but not the leather. Either way, no word of any shows in the future. I'm going to call the main number tomorrow to try and find out more.

13. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Ok picked these up from the Shoe Bank after the announcement of the Dundee Discontinuation in Shell. One shoe has a tear or gouge in the leather. Is this a deal breaker? Can this be fixed?

[​IMG]

14. TexasTexter

15. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

I'd pass, this will always bother me even if it doesn't get worse...

16. TexasTexter

I wondered about that as well. It's a significant imperfection.

17. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

18. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

The Lake Bluff is not built on the same last as the Cavanaugh.

19. TexasTexter

I'm with you. I can't find a loafer to fit period. I've tried the Lake Forest, Cavanaugh and the Grayson. Nothing works. My only one that fits is the Sea Island.

20. orange fury

The lake bluff is on the 2042, the Cavanaugh is on the 114- my understanding is the 2042 is sleeker than the 114. That said, the Concord Ave (which is also on the 114) doesn't fit me at all in my usual 10.5D. The Patriot (the 606 last) wouldn't fit me in a single width or length, where the Grayson and Ascher (the 97 and 2042, respectively) both fit me wonderfully.

Point being- its a case by case thing. Loafer fit is difficult though- with laces there's at least some amount of variance.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.